Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Plan B 3.0 by Lester R. Brown, Free PDF download.

A fascinating if disturbing book about the problems we face as a planet in terms of Peak Oil, Resource Depletion, Environmental Destruction, Climate Change, Pollution, Overpopulation, Failed States...the works. It's not an easy read, but then again, something like this can't be. The repercussions of our actions on this planet if left unchecked are beyond significant.

The book is not all doom and gloom however as it proposes some rational and hopeful solutions for our current global dilemma.

More about the book here:
http://earthpolicy.org/Books/PB3/index.htm

The entire book in PDF and PDF's of the individual chapters are available here:
http://earthpolicy.org/Books/PB3/index.htm

Please support their efforts by purchasing physical copies, donating money, or passing on this important book by word of mouth to folks who care or should care.

I personally have donated an amount equivalent to the cover price of the book (+tax and shipping) to the Earth Policy Institute in support of their efforts.

I'd like to have the book in a format that I can bring along in my Sony Reader (and the larger fonts are really nice).

I have written the Earth Policy Institute to see if they're interested in offering the book in LRF format or if they'll be offering it for sale on the Sony EBook web site (I'm sure this is something they'd have to pursue through their publisher W W Norton as they did not release the free PDF under a Creative Commons License).

If you've found this title interesting, you should also check out:

"The Future of Life" by Edward O. Wilson
http://ebookstore.sony.com/product/4...000041623.html

"The Long Emergency" by James Howard Kunstler
http://ebookstore.sony.com/product/4...000080240.html

Dave

Last edited by DaveNB; 06-20-2008 at 10:31 PM.
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
seyekul-tech
seyekul-tech began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I agree, Dave. EVERYONE should read at least one of the Plan B books. Denial is not going to fix our broken world. I also agree that it would be great to have these books in a format that could be used on the Sony Reader, as well as others. The PDF's, unfortunately, were created with two pages per logical page, making conversion to ePub or even usable PDF elusive, if not impossible.
seyekul-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, as it's only available in multi-column PDF, forget it. I might give it a read if it was in a format I could easily convert or didn't have to convert. But as it is in PDF, forget it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, as it's only available in multi-column PDF, forget it. I might give it a read if it was in a format I could easily convert or didn't have to convert. But as it is in PDF, forget it.
Please stop using the deals forum for ebook politics.

Thanks.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote