Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your choices for the August Book Club book?
The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin 16 47.06%
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie 8 23.53%
The City at Worlds End by Edmond Hamilton 9 26.47%
The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner 7 20.59%
Halting State by Charles Stross 2 5.88%
The Martian by Andy Weir 8 23.53%
Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor 5 14.71%
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke 10 29.41%
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 7 20.59%
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells 12 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #31
readerlover
Connoisseur
readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Okay and thanks for the Karma!
readerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #32
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You're welcome.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Everyone who voted for Le Guin should be ashamed and embarrassed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #34
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Everyone who voted for Le Guin should be ashamed and embarrassed.
Don't look at me JSWolf. I've never even heard of her book.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #35
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Don't look at me JSWolf. I've never even heard of her book.
I have read it. All talk and no action. If you like the talk you'll like the book. I would say more but I don't want to give any spoilers...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #36
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I have read it. All talk and no action. If you like the talk you'll like the book. I would say more but I don't want to give any spoilers...
Ah it stops moving and has a long stretch of narrative in one or more places huh. That was how "The Valley of Horses" lost me. I wanted to see what was going to happen next to Ayla not read a paper on the geology of the valley she was travelling to or through.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Would you say it's not all that interesting? I've found Le Guin does a lot of extraneous talking/descriptions and that really takes one out of the story. I find because of the way she writes, it's just one big plodfest to get through her books.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #38
readerlover
Connoisseur
readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Even if the Time Machine doesn't win, I'm still going to continue reading it as it's a very interesting story!!
readerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I have read it. All talk and no action. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ah it stops moving and has a long stretch of narrative in one or more places huh. That was how "The Valley of Horses" lost me. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
<snip> I've found Le Guin does a lot of extraneous talking/descriptions and that really takes one out of the story. I find because of the way she writes, it's just one big plodfest to get through her books.
Look at the bright side, folks. The Dispossessed is only 400 pages long (four times as long as The Time Machine). Surely that's not too much of a "plodfest", is it?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #40
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
If we want a plodfest I suppose book 7 or 8 of the Wheel of Time could have been nominated.

/They were nominated for a Hugo, therefore they count as Sci-Fi.
//Alternatively, there are a couple Honor Harrington books with lots of info dumps.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Look at the bright side, folks. The Dispossessed is only 400 pages long (four times as long as The Time Machine). Surely that's not too much of a "plodfest", is it?
400 plodding pages... No thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #42
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Just for a bit of balance, I read The Dispossessed many years ago and loved it! I'm looking forward to reading it again.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #43
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Let's see what I can say without creating spoilers.

The story is inherently non-action. That is not always a bad thing. Gregory Benford's Timescape had no inherent action, either, but it is a good read. <Shrug> What do you want from a book?

This may be a spoiler but I feel i have to mention this - a serious discussion of this book will probably get its thread thrown off of the general availability list...

Anybody feeling they really need more info, PM me.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 07-27-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #44
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Ralph Sir Edward's post was so intriguing that I finally looked up information on The Dispossessed. I now regret my vote for another book and can see the potential for a lively and possibly explosive discussion.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Ralph Sir Edward's post was so intriguing that I finally looked up information on The Dispossessed. I now regret my vote for another book and can see the potential for a lively and possibly explosive discussion.
And I see the potential for a pretty bad read.