Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Impressed with water resistance, Nook ST

So last night coming home I parked outside my garage because my wife has helpfully be spraypainting a file cabinet on my side of the garage instead of using her bay. I grabbed my stuff out of my car and was about to go in when my wife came out and wanted help moving the file cabinet. So I put my stuff down, helped her and went inside figuring I'd just leave my car out for the night as I was too lazy to start it again to pull it in the garage.

Fast forward a few hours and we got a DRENCHING downpour for a lot of last night. At least 1", probably more like 1.5-1.75" of rain over night. I got out to my car thinking "Hmmm, I guess I left my nook in my glove box instead of bringing it inside".

NOPE! I left it on the hood of my car!

Fearing the worst I picked it up and pulled the VERY soggy cover off it. Red LED on it. Oh crap. I dry it off with a hand towel and hit the N button...figuring nothing will happen. Suprise, suprise, the unlock comes up. I unlock still in disbelief...it works just fine! Blowing out the USB port a few times and 10 minutes later the red light goes off (must have been terminals crossed by water causing a cable/charger fault to be indicated).

Thing has been perfectly fine all morning even though it practically got dunked in water. I suspect the cover might have saved it. The Nook screen had a fair amount of water on it as did the rest of it, but the cover probably kept a lot of the direct rain contact, so actual amounts of water hitting it probably weren't too extreme. Not sure if the cover will make it. This is the second time it has gotten soaked (first time was my, then, 13 month old daughter pulling my wife's coffee up over on it). Its one of the B&N covers with, what feels like, cardboard inserts and cloth cover. I like it, but it is a little worn around the corners and now VERY soaked.

Oh well, if that is the worst that happened.

So...anyone else have impressive tales of soakings that your Nook ST survived?
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote