Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
pmul
Enthusiast
pmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to behold

Device: K-1, K-2-3G, K-3-3G, K4PC, K4iPhone, K4iPad, K-Touch-Wifi, K-Fire, DXG
Bought "The Hydrogen Sonata" today, in Germany, on my KT, registered to my US Account (complete with US credit card, etc.), no problems.
pmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
that's good news pmul - it's clear this is not affecting everyone all the time. of course, you experience doesn't negate mine...
k
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
yup, and the point of my original post is that amazon is now geolocating your ip and seems to preventing purchases for kindles associated with the US when the purchasing ip is not in the US.
I wasn't making any moral/value judgements. Only letting you know that this is not at all new. They haven't only "just now" started geolocation, they've done it all along. That you've only just now come up against it (after two years) and got that message is really rather surprising to me.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=9

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...02&postcount=3

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=37

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-09-2012 at 08:13 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I wasn't making any moral/value judgements. Only letting you know that this is not at all new. They haven't only "just now" started geolocation, they've done it all along. That you've only just now come up against it (after two years) and got that message is really rather surprising to me.
I've been buying books from Amazon US while in the UK for several years now without any issues. I don't buy them from an actual Kindle, perhaps that makes a difference.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Not buying ebooks from Amazon.com (from germany) often, maybe once every 3 months, but haven't got a letter from them so far either.

Buying with a fake US account with a semi-fake Alaska address (as in it exists, but I do not live there) and using gift cards from my legit account as money source. And buying from my PC with delivery to Kindle for PC, never from the Kindle directly.

Without using VPN or other stuff, so I have a german IP address. Although I will in the future prolyl only buy there when using spotfulx (which I recommend above flyvpn).
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
Quote:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=9

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...02&postcount=3

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=37

so the real question is not "is this new" it's what specific conditions are causing this block to come into affect. it's clear from reading this forum that it's sporadic and not affecting every user...

anyone figure out they how when why what?

karl
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The only thing that I've seen (and others here have mentioned) is that it mainly (not at all sure if that's absolute) seems to happen to those who purchase directly from their Kindle device.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
The only thing that I've seen (and others here have mentioned) is that it mainly (not at all sure if that's absolute) seems to happen to those who purchase directly from their Kindle device.
I got these e-mails when I bought on the web. They stopped coming when I got myself an american IP
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
seems to happen to those who purchase directly from their Kindle device.
Or later download the book directly to it (instead of sideloading). At least that's what I've read in some threads.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #25
Juliet Allert
Juliet Allert began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it safe,whether Amazon will block your account?
Juliet Allert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You can be from any IP address in the world using this vehicle:

http://www.hide-my-ip.com/
Yeah, they seem like a really trustworthy company. Charging 19,95 for "hiding" my MAC address, something I can do in any desktop operating system with a few mouse clicks or commands. In Windows, for example, this takes all of 30 seconds. If you're slow.

One could simply use TOR for free, if one wants to hide one's IP address.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Yeah, they seem like a really trustworthy company. Charging 19,95 for "hiding" my MAC address, something I can do in any desktop operating system with a few mouse clicks or commands. In Windows, for example, this takes all of 30 seconds. If you're slow.

One could simply use TOR for free, if one wants to hide one's IP address.
What's TOR, pray tell
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #28
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
One could simply use TOR for free, if one wanted to hide one's IP address.
Tor isn't always the best choice for protracted downloads (it was never intended for that use),* and the VPNs mentioned have free options for the occasional user (i.e., a book purchase), which was rather the point.

Hide-My-IP only gets expensive if you need to use it regularly (and then why not alternate between services?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
What's TOR, pray tell
https://www.torproject.org/

============
* From the Tor Project site:
Quote:
Tor does not protect all of your computer's Internet traffic when you run it. Tor only protects your applications that are properly configured to send their Internet traffic through Tor. To avoid problems with Tor configuration, we strongly recommend you use the Tor Browser Bundle. It is pre-configured to protect your privacy and anonymity on the web as long as you're browsing with the Tor Browser itself. Almost any other web browser configuration is likely to be unsafe to use with Tor. . . . Under no circumstances is it safe to use BitTorrent and Tor together. . . .

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-14-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #29
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thanks, Prestidigitweeze!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote