Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #31
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They still have to sell them at Apple's pricing, but they get around it by bundling in free gift cards.

Last Black Friday, Best Buy was selling the 8GB iPod touch 4 for $195 w/ a free $50 gift card.

Last Feb, Walmart was selling the Kindle Fire for $199 w/ a free $50 gift card. And currently, Walmart is selling the Kindle NT for $79 w/ a free $30 gift card.
So why don't ebook retailers do the same thing to get around agency pricing? Buy this book for $11.99, get a $5 gift card toward your next purchase.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
So why don't ebook retailers do the same thing to get around agency pricing? Buy this book for $11.99, get a $5 gift card toward your next purchase.

eP
Good question
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #33
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
They still have to sell them at Apple's pricing, but they get around it by bundling in free gift cards.

Last Black Friday, Best Buy was selling the 8GB iPod touch 4 for $195 w/ a free $50 gift card.

Last Feb, Walmart was selling the Kindle Fire for $199 w/ a free $50 gift card. And currently, Walmart is selling the Kindle NT for $79 w/ a free $30 gift card.
One of my kids buys Apple products at Amazon. He says that if they have what you want, it will be a little cheaper, and you don't have to pay tax, plus shipping is free though Apple will also give free shipping. You also get back a percentage on the Amazon Visa card.

Target usually has a small aisle of books for sale, like most grocery stores, some pharmacies and of course Walmart.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
One of my kids buys Apple products at Amazon. He says that if they have what you want, it will be a little cheaper, and you don't have to pay tax, plus shipping is free though Apple will also give free shipping.
I wait until they go on sale with the free gift cards. I'm in no hurry to get a device. For example, I just bought a Kindle NT three days ago for $49 at Walmart. Amazon can't beat that.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #35
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I thought that was specifically prohibited by the publisher rules. I know Books on Board used to have the Rewards program that was basically "buy this book, get this much in account to spend later". They had to discontinue it for agency books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

eP
They can't. That's basically what Fictionwise, Books on Board, All Romance/OmiLit and Diesel's rewards programs were and they had to end them (like FW did) or adjust them so the rewards were only incurred when buying non-agency books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #37
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:

eP
They can do that, I think. But you can't use your gift card on an agency book.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #38
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Recently I participated in an Amazon survey. I was rewarded with a $5 gift card. I thought it was a kind of "scam" to reward me for my loyalty to Amazon, having bought some 30 87th Precinct books by Ed McBain. That $5 can be used for anything, including Agency books. I was under the impression that this was a recurring Amazon "feature". Guess I was wrong, otherwise that would be a workaround.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #39
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
I wait until they go on sale with the free gift cards. I'm in no hurry to get a device. For example, I just bought a Kindle NT three days ago for $49 at Walmart. Amazon can't beat that.
Well yeah, cause you have gift cards. If you had amazon gift cards then they would beat out walmart.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
They can do that, I think. But you can't use your gift card on an agency book.
Sure you can. I get Amazon gift certificates from my Amazon UK Mastercard. I always use them to buy books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #41
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure you can. I get Amazon gift certificates from my Amazon UK Mastercard. I always use them to buy books.
Same with an Amazon Visa card. Use for anything.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #42
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Same with an Amazon Visa card. Use for anything.
But strangely enough, you can't use the Amazon card points for electronic stuff (ebooks) without jumping through a few hoops.

If you try to use the points directly or try get an electronic gift card, you can't use it for ebooks.

Instead, you have to buy a gift card with your points and have it mailed to your house. Then enter the code online and use it to buy ebooks.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #43
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
But strangely enough, you can't use the Amazon card points for electronic stuff (ebooks) without jumping through a few hoops.

If you try to use the points directly or try get an electronic gift card, you can't use it for ebooks.

Instead, you have to buy a gift card with your points and have it mailed to your house. Then enter the code online and use it to buy ebooks.
Yeah, so odd that they have to do it this way. Wonder if it's some contractual thing.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

That's not the way it works with amazon.co.uk gift certificates. They send me an electronic gift certificate by e-mail; I redeem the certificate on Amazon, and I buy books with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #45
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Wouldn't you save more by redeeming your points for cash, then charging the ebooks using the Amazon Visa card, and then paying the Visa bill with the cash?

I'm curious because I just signed up for an Amazon card.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote