Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #286
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Update: Never mind! If you're here just for FontHack, there's nothing wrong with it... Please do ignore this post and nexts 3 posts by me as they're off-topic.

Can someone with KT 5.1.0 and up who has never installed FontHack help me here? Please extract attached file and open one of two AZW3 files, go to a page that is not sparse (not 1st page) and tell me if alphabets forming worms you see on the screen are connected together or not!
Let's see if there exist someone who saw this thread and hasn't installed yet!

Examples of words:
Connected: شاهنامه
Not connected: ش ا ه ن ا م ه

Clarification:
Left picture: No FontHack installed (doesn't affect) + original libfreetype.so.6 ----> I noticed this was NOT a KF8 file, as I converted it to mobi with Calibre.
Right picture: FontHack installed + libfreetype.so.6.8.1 ----> This is not AZW3 either as I converted it to mobi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Persian_Sample_Article_AlmostGoodFormat.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	90832   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.gif
Views:	351
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	90833  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Persian_Sample_Article.zip (193.1 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-16-2012 at 06:43 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #287
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I have 5.1.0 without font hack. When opening it, I get a message box that says "Error: An error occured. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from Archived Items."

Interestingly, after I touch the OK button, it ONE TIME displayed a page containing Persian text for a fraction of a second before redrawing the Home screen. I cannot repeat that behavior -- it just returns now without displaying anything but a blank screen before returning to the HOME page.

The characters of the Book title look disconnected though, both on the HOME page and in the title bar (while the error message box is displayed).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-15-2012 at 11:37 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #288
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Can someone with KT 5.1.0 and up who has never installed FontHack help me here? Please extract attached file and open one of two AZW3 files, go to a page that is not sparse (not 1st page) and tell me if alphabets forming worms you see on the screen are connected together or not!
Let's see if there exist someone who saw this thread and hasn't installed yet!

Examples of words:
Connected: شاهنامه
Not connected: ش ا ه ن ا م ه

My hypothesis fact: Before installing FontHack they were connected (look at left picture) but now they're not (look at right picture), so... maybe... ?!
You can do that yourself: take a screenshot. Uninstall fonthack (and possibly the custom freetype, if you installed that). Take another screenshot. Compare the screenshots.

I don't see how merely installing fonthack would change the spacing for existing fonts - because merely installing fonthack essentially does nothing at all. Installing the custom freetype lib might have more impact (hint: you can also install that independently from fonthack). And obviously, setting custom fonts will result in changes (at least for latin characters - I'm not sure if the persian glyphs are affected, or if it simply keeps using the Code2000 font for those).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #289
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The new attached zip file contains two books. The first book still gives the same error message. The second book loads without error messages, but all pages are empty (blank) on my K5 (5.1.0 / no font hack).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #290
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@cscat

exactly the same results as geekmaster. my KT is 5.1.2, no Fonthack.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #291
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@yiming @geekmaster: Thanks. As ixtab said this has nothing to do with FontHack. The issue was libfreetype.so.6.8.1. If you guys update your libfreetype.so.6, you can open those AZW3 files.

Please read my clarification in my last post.

So now, I'll look for a libfreetype.so.6 version that works!

@ixtab: I think I like this thread, I come here say some nonsense and go (well this is 2nd time, and counting )

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-16-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #292
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cscat: Mind checking if this ft build works?

(Although I doubt it would fix anything besides being able to open the file, FT's is charge of the font rendering, not the layout. That falls to cairo/pango/harfbuzz. And that would be slightly more involved to switch without breaking everything ).

Also, your original message is still confusing, because it mentions mobi6 snapshots, while your latest attachment only includes mobi8 stuff.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-16-2012 at 11:27 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #293
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@cscat: Mind checking if this ft build works?
How interesting because I was just meddling with your wonderful trunk... hmmm, I tried all 3 of your builds... I can open AZW3 files, it shows RTL, but alphabets are disconnected... so issue is still there.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #294
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cscat: Yep, thought so.

Like I said, FT's not in charge of the layout, which seems to be the issue here .

Updating the GTK/pango/cairo stack to fix this would be tedious, if not impossible because of ABI mismatches... Last time I tried something like this, my Kindle didn't like it very much (and it was a K3, where the only place this stack was used was the browser).

Is this the only file you have an issue with in Persian? Or is it always broken? I'm not sure I understood if it's working correctly in mobi6, or if it's only 'working', but LTR?

Thanks for checking, though . (And check the log on the SVN stuff, I never delete anything, so there's stuff in there that I haven't used in a couple of years, if not more, so some stuff might be outdated ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-16-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #295
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
If file /mnt/us/USE_ALT_FONTS exists, KT uses fonts with families/typefaces:
  • alternate1, alternate2, alternate3 (for firmwares up to 5.1.0)
  • all found (except some stock) (for 5.1.0)
I don't know whether restart of whole framework is needed to handle this file (or it's abscence) or just restart of reader booklet is sufficient, but believe former is true.

Also starting from 5.1.0, stock fontconfig configuration includes file /mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf (with ignore_missing=yes). Include is defined in /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-lab126-altfonts.conf. There are also: rewriting of font families of example fonts to alternateX, making of /mnt/us/fonts directory visible to fc-cache and some alias/prefer directives (which, I think, are for overriding system fonts) in that configuration file.

Fonts used by KT with the help of this mechanism are displayed in Aa dialog in standard reader.

Hope, it will useful in some way. Remember about fc-cache (/usr/bin/fc-cache.sh is more suited) and check for proper handling of new and removing of stale fonts from cache. Otherwise, framework can crash on invoking Aa dialog.

UPD but, honestly, it's partially old news

UPD2 and /usr/bin/fc-cache.sh could be invoked with ;fc-cache debug command (shoud be entered in search bar). So with knowledge of fontconfig configuration syntax, it's possible to add new fonts without jailbreak.

UPD3 /mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf isn't processed, at least at 5.1.0 (include is really defined, but it's value contains newlines at start and end, so defined file isn't found). However, as /mnt/us/fonts is defined as font directory, any font file in this directory is automatically catched by fontconfig.
I am a noob and just got my KT fonthacked using this method. Put several fonts in the fonts folder and type ;fc-cache, then I can change font while reading quite easily. Very straightforward.
But I got one question in my mind. Do I have to jailbreak my KT for this method to be working? I jailbroke my KT before fonthacking, of course. I thought it is the default procedure.
Can anyone give a hint? If so, I am intending to do it again without jailbreaking. At the moment, there seems to be some bugs that prevent me from restart the device properly. It will show Your Kindle Needs Repair, and I have to plug it to my computer to make it boot into system. And all fonts will be lost. Then I need to do it again.

Last edited by johnleo; 08-16-2012 at 02:51 PM.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #296
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
If file /mnt/us/USE_ALT_FONTS exists ...
I am a noob and just got my KT fonthacked using this method. Put several fonts in the fonts folder and type ;fc-cache, then I can change font while reading quite easily. Very straightforward.
But I got one question in my mind. Do I have to jailbreak my KT for this method to be working?
No, you haven't to jaibreak. It will work even on stock non-jailbroken devices.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #297
thatworkshop
hub

First of all, sorry as this is going to be a very verbose post (any longer post, guys?!) and sorry ixtab in particular for gradually swaying your thread
Spoiler:
but I guess it was an important issue that was worth pointing out some where!

Quote:
Like I said, FT's not in charge of the layout, which seems to be the issue here .
Yes sir. Confirmed. I was about to say that 6.8.1 is the reason alphabets are separated but to my great surprise I opened an article which had them connected! So I'm confused myself too!!! AZW3 reader is just buggy I think.

Quote:
Is this the only file you have an issue with in Persian? Or is it always broken? I'm not sure I understood if it's working correctly in mobi6, or if it's only 'working', but LTR?
No, issue is all over place, many books don't show up or if show up after a while they crash. Please read further.
Sorry to be confusing (as I'm too). So I'll try to make it clear, dissect and explain the issue here:

Spoiler:

TERMINOLOGY: mobi6 = mobi, mobi8 = KF8 = azw3 (right?!)

1. mobi documents:
With libfreetype.so.6.8.1: they're disconnected (for sure).
With older libfreetype.so.6: fine.
(and in both case, obviously as mobi doesn't store RTL tags, words are from LTR )
2. azw3 documents:
In both cases, RTL is fine. (so @geekmaster: please discard my pm and previous posts.)
Very unstable results in both cases, so can't say anything as it's flaky, for some documents 6.8.1 shows them connected, for some disconnected. With older libfreetype, it's always connected as far as I have tried!!! So regardless of version of libfreetype, some azw3 documents show great, some are full white or full black pages.

Funny example:
When opening Persian_Sample_Article.azw3, first time, it shows the crash dialog that geekmaster talked about. Try to open it again... it opens a blank screen, but when you go to next pages (it takes forever, so be patient). You have to swipe a lot of times, and if you monitor it with "showlog -f" you'll see crazy amount of errors... continue swiping until it goes to location 18% or so and you'll see a page.

INTERESTING finding: 1. Try to Go To End page and you'll see a dialog that says "Before you go" Rate this book and share!!! I've never seen this for regular books!!! I don't know! Is this something Calibre adds to the book?

When swiping to next page:
Spoiler:
Code:
[!]120816:150455 cvm[7586]: java.lang.NullPointerException
 [!]120816:150455 cvm[7586]:     at  com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.plugin.acxreaderplugin.position.model.p.nextPageEvent(elf:506)

2. Even after closing the bookreader, cvm has locked the azw3 books as when I try to delete it, it gives a .fuse file! gross.

Spoiler:
Code:
COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
cvm     1385 root  335r   REG   0,15    38361 9980 .fuse_hidden000026fc00000005
cvm     1385 root  355r   REG   0,15    38361 9980 .fuse_hidden000026fc00000005

Errors when reader crashes:
Spoiler:
Code:
120816:134408 cvm[1385]: E HTMLBookView:Error::Failed to render the page content
[!]120816:134408 cvm[1385]: java.io.IOException: drawPage failed with code=672
[!]120816:134408 cvm[1385]:     at com.amazon.ebook.booklet.htmlreader.impl.HTMLRenderer.drawPage(Native Method)
120816:134408 cvm[1385]: C ErrorHandlerImpl:CriticalError::drawPage failed with code=672
[!]120816:134408 root: Error /home/jenkins-official/src/yoshi/juno_2_0_1/OFFICIAL/apps/mobi8/jni/renderer/communicator.c:140
[!]120816:134408 root: Error /home/jenkins-official/src/yoshi/juno_2_0_1/OFFICIAL/apps/mobi8/jni/renderer/renderer.c:331
[!]120816:134408 root: Error  /home/jenkins-official/src/yoshi/juno_2_0_1/OFFICIAL/apps/mobi8/jni/renderer/com_amazon_ebook_booklet_htmlreader_impl_HTMLRenderer.c:671
[!]120816:134408 root: Error  /home/jenkins-official/src/yoshi/juno_2_0_1/OFFICIAL/apps/mobi8/jni/renderer/com_amazon_ebook_booklet_htmlreader_impl_HTMLRenderer.c:757
[!]120816:134408 cvm[1385]: An error occurred. If you purchased this  item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from Archived  Items.

AZW3 Reader is crazy:
After opening first article, I opened Persian_Sample_Article_2.azw3 and after swiping back the reader showed me pages of Persian_Sample_Article.azw3 ?!!!

Reader crashes even after successfully rendering some pages! I'm sure it's not a memory full error as I checked it. It's just that AZW3 reader is not ready on KT yet.

Summary: @NiLuJe and @ixtab: As Kovid said AZW3 renderer of Kindle Touch is crap. It's very flaky, sometimes it opens the 2 sample files that I attached and sometimes not. The issue seems to be neither of marvelous FontHack plugin nor libfreetype, but AZW3 reader in KT.
I chose to let FontHack stay but with old libfreetype.

Anyways... until Amazon deals with AZW3 RTL languages, I'm going to convert to PDF or save as HTML and read it with CoolReader3. (Should find a way for HTML files to be shown on the home screen and put them in a collection with Collection Manager)

Quote:
Thanks for checking, though . (And check the log on the SVN stuff, I never delete anything, so there's stuff in there that I haven't used in a couple of years, if not more, so some stuff might be outdated ).
I sure will... It's treasure. Keep it up baws (i.e. boss ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rate_and_Share.gif
Views:	261
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	90880   Click image for larger version

Name:	azw3_black.gif
Views:	281
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	90881   Click image for larger version

Name:	azw3_what!.gif
Views:	300
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	90882   Click image for larger version

Name:	azw3_new_libfree.gif
Views:	326
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	90883   Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi_new_libfree.gif
Views:	274
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	90884  

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-16-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #298
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cscat: Thanks for the clarification .

* The 'Before You Go' screen is shown for every book with exth 113 (ASIN) set. Calibre does it by default, unless you check the 'Enable sharing on facebook' mobi setting.

* If we forget the KF8 renderer issues, we're left with the fact that a custom freetype *does* leads to LTR broken persian script (broken ligatures) in the mobi renderer. That's weird, because that shouldn't be FT's job at all, and I can't think of a reason why it would happen off the top of my head, but since Amazon probably patches FT like crazy, and they're using it under the FT license, we don't have the sources to check... And since it doesn't really help to have it ligatured but LTR, I don't think it's worth investigating, if it doesn't hurt other LTR scripts... ^^

Just for my piece of mind, would you mind linking me to a plaintext (or html) block of persian script?

EDIT: ... Or I could just unpack the samples you posted earlier. >_<". I think I need another scotch, the last one wasn't effective enough. .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-16-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #299
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Just for my piece of mind, would you mind linking me to a plaintext (or html) block of persian script?

EDIT: ... Or I could just unpack the samples you posted earlier. >_<". I think I need another scotch, the last one wasn't effective enough. .
No worries dude. Please look at my attached text file (better) or go here and copy/paste the body of the poem. No, don't extract from the previous sample articles... I've been working with them all these days and I they drove me crazy, now I hate them so much! Goddamn!

Speaking of Scotch, I have a funny story... well, I think I better keep it to myself, not on this forum, but good luck man! Drink as much (ehem, little, ehem) as you desire.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Sohrab.txt (1.3 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-16-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #300
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cscat: ^^

I ran a few quick checks, and I get a more or less similar results (although somewhat less broken) when trying to render Persian script with FreeType and no layout engine, so, not sure exactly how much they patch FT, but it's interesting...

Tags
kindle touch hacks