Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Dark lines between lines of text

For people who are seeing this, and who may think they are seeing really bad ghosting, move yourself (and your Touch, LOL) to a place with better light. I have noticed that the banding effect is only visible under lighting conditions that are, in truth, pretty marginal for reading. When I am reading in good light, the banding disappears and the contrast between text and background is much better resulting in much better clarity.

Give it a try.

This is very different than the problem I am having with dark blocks occurring extending from the left margin. These do not disappear under good light.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Are these problems a result of the new type display that the Touch uses? I don't think we saw these issues with the original and WiFi models.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, ltr. They are Touch only, in my experience. The trade off is that in good light, the screen is clearly better with the Touch than with earlier readers. I did a direct comparison between the two when I was figuring this out.

Last edited by taming; 06-13-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
The original kobo and the Wifi had ghosting problems too. But they also refreshed with a full black screen each page turn. The touch only refreshes every 6 pages. The issue isn't with the hardware, it's with the software.

Sameer in the other thread said that kobo will be fixing it in an update.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The stripes are not exactly ghosting (in the same sense) they are a visual artifact that appears in dim conditions that doesn't really go away on refresh, like regular ghosting does. I am betting that the folks that report that the ghosting is absolutely horrible are seeing some of this, as well.
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Yes, ltr. They are Touch only, in my experience. The trade off is that in good light, the screen is clearly better with the Touch than with earlier readers. I did a direct comparison between the two when I was figuring this out.
Interesting. Myself, I do all my reading at night in bed with a fairly dim light, so I don't think that screen would work for me.

In addition, I read lying down with one hand on the page turn button. I feel the touch screen would be an extra effort.

I think I'm a good candidtae to remain with the WiFi.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I, too, read in bed. I have adjusted how I hold my Touch, but it took me about 5 minutes to get used to it. I have old eyes, I need good light to read these days. I would not be surprised to find that people who routinely use touch on their phones or other devices will find the transition to be painless. The touch to turn pages takes, from my perspective, less effort than pressing the DPad. My left handed husband likes the Touch better (but he is sticking with the WiFi, for now).

If Touch goes on to have things like collections/bookshelves (like the iOS App) and if you enjoy Reading Life, you may, at some point, see an advantage to making the switch. Fortunately, no one has to make a final decision today. And, since some of the features we are hoping for are not here yet, that is probably a good thing .
Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
taming - how easy is the Touch to use with only the left hand? I mostly hold my Wifi in my left hand only (although I'm right-handed) and can find a comfortable position to use the Dpad, despite most people's complaints about the dpad being on the righthand side.

I tried to Touch in a store and found it hard to use with just my left hand - but it is difficult to tell, because the security tag means that it is weighted a bit funny.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
taming - how easy is the Touch to use with only the left hand? I mostly hold my Wifi in my left hand only (although I'm right-handed) and can find a comfortable position to use the Dpad, despite most people's complaints about the dpad being on the righthand side.

I tried to Touch in a store and found it hard to use with just my left hand - but it is difficult to tell, because the security tag means that it is weighted a bit funny.
It's easier than the D-Pad I would say, because you can hold the device with your left hand on the left side of the device and then just use your thumb to "swipe" to the next page. obviously it would be hard to tap to flip the page as you would need to somehow tap on the right side of the screen, but using the thumb to swipe is an easy way to do it.
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I find that I can hold it in my left and and use inside edge of my thumb in the bottom right corner to tap. Probably wouldn't work for someone with really small hands (I don't think I have exceptionally large hands) but it seems to work for me. Initially I actually found I didn't like the balance as well when I got home as with the security tab attached at the store. You get used to it fairly quickly.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I tend to hold it using two hands--did that with the WiFi as well, or to prop it on my belly or a pillow and use one hand. It's fine. Reaching for the right hand side to page forward is no more onerous than reaching for a button on the right hand side--and you can touch it anyplace along the side, not just in one specific place. I'm an upper right sorta gal.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
I went to a Best Buy and they had the non-tactile Kobo. And the demo was really bad - unless it's been beaten like crazy... Everytime I switched page - it took an eternity and for a moment you could see both pages as one...terrible...
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Those display units are often really screwed up.