Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
user452
Edge User

Question about Charging via USB and Turning off screen (Pocket eDGe)

I've read the user guide, watched the videos, and searched the forum, and have found the answers to most of my questions, but I can't seem to find an answer to these:

1)
Can the Pocket eDGe be charged via usb? I assume that is what the miniusb plug is for, but I can't find it specifically said either way.
The only thing the user guide says in regard to it is to "connect the charger", but doesn't specify what methods can be used to charge it.

2)
One of the advertised features is the long battery, lasting 6 hours using tablet, 11+ hours using reader, but I can't find any reference about how to turn off the screen you're not currently using.
The video shows the off switch, but doesn't show the "screen off" switch.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by user452 View Post
I've read the user guide, watched the videos, and searched the forum, and have found the answers to most of my questions, but I can't seem to find an answer to these:

1)
Can the Pocket eDGe be charged via usb? I assume that is what the miniusb plug is for, but I can't find it specifically said either way.
The only thing the user guide says in regard to it is to "connect the charger", but doesn't specify what methods can be used to charge it.

2)
One of the advertised features is the long battery, lasting 6 hours using tablet, 11+ hours using reader, but I can't find any reference about how to turn off the screen you're not currently using.
The video shows the off switch, but doesn't show the "screen off" switch.

Thanks!
You don't need to turn off the reader screen; to turn off the LCD screen look for a padlock shaped icon in your apps. To turn back on just click the menu button.

Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, user452

The Pocket eDGe cannot be charged by USB. The mini-usb plug is for connecting it to your PC/Mac with the included cable in order to transfer files directly. The "Charger" is the AC adapter supplied with your eDGe. It plugs into the AC jack located between the power switch and hinge below the eInk side.

To turn off the LCD screen, add the Power Control widget to your home screen (press the Menu button, then "Add" then "Widgets" then "Power Control"). Tap the rightmost icon on the widget to turn off the LCD.

Hope this helps

Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
user452
Edge User

Thanks for clearing that up, borisb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
You don't need to turn off the reader screen.
I know I don't need to turn off the reader screen. I want to know if I could, so I asked. You should be more polite.

Now that you mention it, I realise I don't need to buy a Pocket eDGe. Thank you for convincing me.
I'll buy a product from someplace which is polite instead of telling people they "don't need" something when they ask a question.

edit: Please close this thread, I won't be returning.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Trust me, cheyennedonna meant no offence. Cheyenne is a very valued and highly respected member for these forums, as a recent tribute demonstrates: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...-cheyennedonna!.

In fact she was being helpful by indicating what you can and cannot do with the eDGe! What she didn't mention is that turning off the reader screen is not needed since that screen draws no power except when you change pages.

I do hope you reconsider and don't miss out on a great device due to a misunderstanding

Advert