Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #46
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Well, I didn't think that $38 including shipping was a bad price for a leather case for the iPad. If you think that's pricey, you should price out some of the cases for the Kindle.

I ended up ordering one of each of the above. One will be a gift so I thought it would be a good chance to compare them in person.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just bought my iPad a few hours ago from our local Apple store and ordered the Oberon Celtic Hounds cover in Chocolate. Now I'll have to redo my signature picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Celtic Hounds in Chocolate 1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	62464  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #48
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Found this one interesting, for $35

Quote:
I've never understood people who keep their iPads bound up in cases. I get that they want to protect their iPads, but I never understood why they choose cases which just add to the bulk of the beautifully thin device. I've always been a sleeve guy myself -- something to keep the iPad scratch-free while transporting, yet which easily allows you to slide it out and hold it in your hands the way Jobs intended.

But if I wanted to spend money, I'd get it engraved

Last edited by Mirrorlike; 12-08-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #49
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post
how do you guys spend so much on cases? I just got some random $20 sleeve at best buy, and it works great.

I spent eight bucks on my sleeve. To each his own, though.

Someone leaked that I'm going to receive a pricey iPad case for Christmas. I'm not going to hurt the giver's feelings, but I would've already bought a clunky case if I wanted one.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #50
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I have macally bookstand in grey. Doesn't add bulk at all and all buttons etc easily accessible.

http://www.macally.com/en/product/Ar...?ArticleID=320
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #51
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post
But if I wanted to spend money, I'd get it engraved [...snipped the picture of a beautifully done engraving job to save bandwidth...]
Mirrorlike -

That's a gorgeous engraving job on that iPad! Who does that (e.g. where'd you find the picture?).

As a person who likes using their iPad "naked," I'd be tempted to do that ... if I didn't already have a Zagg embossed leather skin. Hmmmmm...but they do come off....

Rregardless, thanks for sharing this pic.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #52
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
That's a gorgeous engraving job on that iPad! Who does that (e.g. where'd you find the picture?).
Glad you like it. It's this company near my town http://ipadlaserengraving.com/. They might do shipping if you really want it done.

I'm sure any laser engraving company can do it if you give them the vector art. I know its somewhere in this website but I was never able to find it.

Edit: Found it.

Last edited by Mirrorlike; 12-09-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #53
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Update: considering the two cases I mentioned earlier, the Yoobao/AYL and the Cyber Acoustics, I have received both and checked them out. While they both have their strong points, I find that I prefer the overall look and feel of the Yoobao case.

I didn't care much for the felt inside the CA case and I also like the feel of the pebbled leather on the Yoobao better compared to the smooth leather of the CA case. The internal attachments to the iPad are similar, and I slightly favor the CA, but not enough to offset the overall feel of the Yoobao case.

The Yoobao case strongly resembles the Scosche IPDL folio case mentioned in the OP, at least in its functionality and method of attachment to the iPad. I can't speak to the exterior touch and feel.

I am returning the CA case.

As usual, this is a personal thing and YMMV.

Edit: update to the update:

I originally bought the Yoobao case as a gift and decided not to get one for myself. I have a Belkin Grip Vue case on the way and went to Staples and bought a cheap ($14) HP mini sleeve slip case (VX403AA#ABL) for the Belkin encased iPad. I also like the look of the STM jackets too.

Last edited by speedlever; 12-18-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #54
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle

JAVOedge has a new case they sent me to test out called the Axis. It has an easel that swivels so you can prop it up either vertical or horizontal. I also like that they have a lot of stylish choices, not just black... though of course they have that. A full report with pictures and a giveaway is posted on my blog today.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #55
Yirabeth
Yirabeth began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
I started with the standard Apple case, because it looked thin and fairly protective. However, you can't use a docking station with it; I also got the docking keyboard when I bought mine and in spite of them saying they're SUPPOSED to work together, they DONT. I use it not only for reading, but for taking notes or viewing a pdf while in class, and my classroom computer is busy with multiple programs running.(computer programming student) So that meant taking it in and out of the case -- what a pain!

So I ended up going with a skin to protect from scratches while being used (whether reading or actual schoolwork) and using this 'manilla envelope' case to store/transport it in:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/mani...-case_3779.htm

It has the advantage of not looking like an ipad case so it's not a thief magnet either

~Yira
Yirabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #56
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirabeth View Post
So I ended up going with a skin to protect from scratches while being used (whether reading or actual schoolwork) and using this 'manilla envelope' case to store/transport it in:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/mani...-case_3779.htm

It has the advantage of not looking like an ipad case so it's not a thief magnet either

~Yira
Nice and free shipping! Course I'm drooling over the bamboo case! (Must walk away, away,(sniffle))
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #57
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Of course all these covers and skins will be obsolete as soon as the iPad2 comes out. I imagine size will be the same although it is rumored it may be slimmer plus it should have camera or cameras like the iPhone. Will the buttons all still be the same? Too many questions without answers.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #58
speedlever
Fanatic

The Yoobao case is very slim and classy and does a good job. I gave it as a gift and almost got one for me. Looks like it comes from a number of sources under various names at Amazon.com, based on the online images.

Then I considered how I might use my iPad and thought I'd likely use it in both portrait and landscape views. So I ended up with a Belkin Grip Vue TPU case and a slip case to carry it in. I bought a cheap HP mini digital case I found on sale at Staples for $14, but I think I prefer the Amazon Basics Netbook Bag for $10... at least from looking at the pics online. It is slightly bigger than my HP mini bag so it shouldn't have any issues fitting the iPad with the Belkin Grip Vue and I like the carrying handles and zipper pocket.

STM makes a nice looking iPad jacket, but it's twice the price of the Amazon bag.

Edit: I just noticed that I am repeating myself from about two weeks ago. Argh. They say the mind is the second thing to go. I forget what the first one is.

Last edited by speedlever; 12-29-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #59
mokeiko
Enthusiast
mokeiko has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX | PRS-900 | PRS-950 | DPT-S1 | Kindle Oasis
I have the DODOCase myself and really like it a lot.
mokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #60
Tastytraci
Tastytraci began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I have the roof of heaven Oberon iPad case, and I love it.
Tastytraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, cover, ipad, protection