Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
JoeKeppler
New Author
JoeKeppler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smashwords to Droid phone

Hey all, hope everyone's having a good or at least decent morning.

Wanted to see if any of you might have some first-hand experience with a question I came across.

A reader wanted to know if they could get my book on their Droid smartphone. I don't own a Droid myself -hopelessly addicted to my "Crack"Berry - but I do know that there's allegedly a Kindle app for the Droid. And so I went to say, "yes, of course, we're on Kindle so you're all set," but then I realized he was responding to an ad where we gave out a coupon for 50% off on Smashwords. If he were to just buy the book off his Kindle app, he'd be charged the full price, which I'm sure he'd rather not do in favor of the coupon.

So my question is, have any of you ever bought a book on your Droid from Smashwords and read it as something other than a stock .pdf on your phone? Is there a way to download the .mobi file from Smashwords and then read that on your phone with the Kindle app (or any other applicable Droid app)? I know you can easily do that with Calibre for the pc, but not so sure if such a thing is possible with a phone...

Sorry if this wasn't extremely clear. I'm a little cloudy on the idea myself! But thanks for your time and have a great day.

-Joe
JoeKeppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I do not have a Droid; I have a Samsung Moment which, like the Droid, uses the Android operating system.

I can access my smashwords account through Aldiko, a free ebook reader available in the Android Market. (I specifically signed up for Smashwords because of this.) I would think that I can buy that way as well, since it links up to the web browser to get to the site, although I have never tried it. If I wasn't at work -- where I can't have any sort of camera -- I'd check for you.

However, it shouldn't take long for someone to come in and agree or disagree with me.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
JoeKeppler
New Author
JoeKeppler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
That's very helpful actually, I'm going to look into that ASAP!

Thanks so much for your help, Katie.
JoeKeppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKeppler View Post
Is there a way to download the .mobi file from Smashwords and then read that on your phone with the Kindle app
That works fine. Just connect the Droid to the PC via USB ( mounting it as a drive) and copy the .mobi file to the /Kindle folder. It will then appear in available books in the Kindle app.

And as Katie notes, Aldiko is a very nice app for reading .epub books.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Aldiko is my choice of reader on Android as well.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert