Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #31
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
The Kindle is much more popular. For that matter, I have one, bot I don't have a Nook.

For choosing my next reader, I want to hear about your opinions on why the Nook is more compelling to you?

Edit: I'm particularly interested in your insights on the user interface differences between the Kindle and the Nook. Which do you like better and why?
Edit: I did not realize that the OP was asking about Nook reader. Please Delete it.
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #32
charles_cinci
Enthusiast
charles_cinci began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I bought my first gen nook mainly for two reasons..
1) I didn't like the keyboard on the Kindle
2) I wanted to support the brick and mortar store

Since then we've added 2nd Gen Nook (for the wife)
Nook Color
Nook ST (for me
Nook HD+ (for magazines)

Comparing the Nook ST to the papewhite...I'd hate to lose my page turn buttons.

Charles
charles_cinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #33
ndixon
Mostly Harmless
ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Nook Simple Touch
Mainly one very prosaic reason: my Kindle has a few grey blobs on the screen where I've dropped it onto hard objects or dropped things on it and the ink has somehow bled; I wanted a cheap replacement and the STR is under £30 in the UK right now, so it's cheaper than buying the Touch or even the basic Kindle.

Secondary reason is that it supports EPUB and I like to keep my options open.
I also wanted to try a touch screen, and at this price it was worth a gamble.

I like the touch screen, the keyboard works really well and is much better than navigating with the Kindle's 5-way controller. The range of fonts is nice too.

I like the Contents page and easy chapter navigation; I also like the "pages left in chapter" in the "Go to" window.

But I'm mostly noticing differences that I dislike at the moment:

Dictionary
With the Kindle I can choose other dictionaries (just by nominating a book), and have a different dictionary for each language; I have a translating dictionary for German (German headwords, English definitions) which is a big help when reading foreign language texts. This simply isn't possible on the Nook, even though parts of the interface seem to be designed for multiple dictionaries.

Layout
The Home screen might have showroom appeal, but it really isn't useful to me. I don't need it to look like a jazzy magazine cover. The area I use most often is the Library and that only shows six books at a time because of all the headings at the top.
In comparison the Kindle UI feels cleaner, more efficient, and packs in more information.

I don't hate the thing – I may grow to love it – but just now while it's still new I keep noticing things and thinking "Oh. Why did they do it like that?"

Last edited by ndixon; 07-15-2013 at 10:51 AM.
ndixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #34
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
As much as I am a regular customer of Amazon, I don't see myself as ever buying a Kindle in the foreseeable future.

For me, some of the pluses of my Nook HD are:
- having the SD card option
- access to Google Play
- the ability to install Kindle For Android so I can purchase & read Kindle books
- ease of use
- great display resolution
- the ability to install third-party readers & Flash-enabled browsers

Last edited by Xanthe; 07-15-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: corrected misspelling
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #35
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
As much as I am a regular customer of Amazon, I don't see myself as ever buying a Kindle in the foreseeable future.

For me, some of the pluses of my Nook HD are:
- having the SD card option
- access to Google Play
- the ability to install Kinder For Android so I can purchase & read Kindle books
- ease of use
- great display resolution
- the ability to install third-party readers & Flash-enabled browsers
Same here. I like amazon just fine, but I've decided lack of an sd card slot is a deal breaker for me, from now on. Its a good option to have, even if you don't use it. Its such a shame it took BN so long to add google play. They would have sold millions last holiday season. Now they are probably losing money trying to unload the tablets.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #36
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You really have to wonder what their marketing/sales team was thinking of, since the sensible thing would have been to market the Nook as the all-purpose e-reader since there's no way they could ever compete with the number of people who visit Amazon daily, even with their brick-and-mortar stores. I agree, opening the devices to Google Play earlier could have made a big difference.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #37
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have a NOOK HD and a Kindle Paperwhite, I'll always have both. The Nook was bought as a replacement for the mini ipad which doesn't have a decent screen and is a lot more expensive. Nothing would tear me away from my Kindle.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #38
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Same here. I like amazon just fine, but I've decided lack of an sd card slot is a deal breaker for me, from now on. Its a good option to have, even if you don't use it. Its such a shame it took BN so long to add google play. They would have sold millions last holiday season. Now they are probably losing money trying to unload the tablets.
Yeah, B&N management is starting to show some cracks. It seems like they're having at least a few problems that Borders had before they closed (poor inventory management, book disorganization, bad strategic decisions). Hopefully they can turn it around.

SD card slot is always a necessity for me.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #39
ndixon
Mostly Harmless
ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have a NOOK HD and a Kindle Paperwhite, I'll always have both. The Nook was bought as a replacement for the mini ipad which doesn't have a decent screen and is a lot more expensive. Nothing would tear me away from my Kindle.
The Kindle Paperwhite would be my ideal reader right now. I'd like to see what Sony come up with later (surely a T3 would have built-in lighting) but I think they'd never get the price close to the Kindle PW; and Amazon understand that they're selling a service, not just a piece of hardware.
ndixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #40
lifer109
lifer109 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard and now Nook HD+
In answer to your question, it all on your use. Eink reader I have kindle keypad. Three years and still working fine. Just bought a nook hd+ because of need to view color pdfs. $ was the main reason for picking nook over kindle. SD slot cinched it. And as others have said install kindle reader for android and you have kindle on tablet
lifer109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #41
redscarlett
Enthusiast
redscarlett began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
The Kindle is much more popular. For that matter, I have one, bot I don't have a Nook.

For choosing my next reader, I want to hear about your opinions on why the Nook is more compelling to you?

Edit: I'm particularly interested in your insights on the user interface differences between the Kindle and the Nook. Which do you like better and why?
I used to have a Kindle - a Kindle 3, but that broke about 3-4 months ago. I was originally going to buy another kindle but I ran into a problem really quickly - memory. My old kindle had 4gb, but they don't make it anymore, and unless I wanted another tablet - which I don't/didn't; then the only other kindle options had 2gb.
In reality this isn't 2gb though, more like 1.2GB, and I have nearly 3GBs worth of ebooks.
To cut a long story short, I decided to buy a Nook touch glowlight, because I could expand the memory. It's also reasonably priced, and has 'shelves'. I still think the old kindles they made were possibly the best, but they don't make those anymore, and I have a lot of problems with the newer kindles aside from memory. From the newer options, the Nook was definitely my best option, particularly since Sony's are difficult to come across in UK other than online, and the price for them is, accordingly, much higher than the Nook's.
redscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #42
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I love my Paperwhite and that will always be my ereader of choice in the near term. I had the original Nook Color, but decided I liked eInk better to read my books. I also have a Sony T1 because that was the eInk device I bought to replace the Nook Color. I have just purchased the Nook HD+ because it is a great deal right now. I prefer using the Amazon ecosystem and that is one of the main reasons that I got the Paperwhite and am sticking with it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
witchkitten
Enthusiast
witchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Reasons I chose the Nook of the Kindle:

1) Physical page turning buttons.
2) Epub support. I dislike the mobi/azw format, particularly because of the way it handles the TOC. Also, I like having more options for where to by ebooks. While I could strip the DRM and convert epubs to mobi, I'd rather not have to take that step and risk formatting issues that might arise from the conversion. And finally, libraries tend to have a greater selection of epub books than kindle books. While most books are available for both I do find books that are only offered as an epub.
3) Page numbers. While I prefer dynamic page numbers, the Nook's static ones are better than nothing. Page numbers allow me to easily see how long a chapter is.
4) The rubberized contoured back makes the Nook so much more comfortable to hold than the Kindle Touch (unless it's been changed since the Kindle Touch first came out).
5) I like the font choices better on the Nook. There were a lot more of them when I purchased my Nook, though this may have changed in the last year and a half.
6) I think the UI is much more intuitive. It's more similar to the iOS UI, which I was already familiar with when I purchased my Nook. Also, I like that most of the menus were at the bottom which is easier to reach and navigate to than having to go to the top of the screen with the Kindle.

That said, Amazon has far better customer service in my experience. The Nook tech support people are awful.

When the Nook is working as it should, it's overall my favorite ereader, however, I've had some technical problems that are leading me to consider one of the Kobo ereaders. I still wouldn't switch to the Kindle, though. Even one that is functioning perfectly doesn't fit my needs as well as my buggy Nook.
witchkitten is offline   Reply With Quote