Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
sirtoby
sirtoby began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
quick suggestion

hey! nice work on calibre! This app is really helpful, and it's by far the best ebook organizer out there. i thought i'd take the time to give you some feedback, but of course - take it with a grain of salt

overall, i think the idea and coding behind calibre is great. especially with so many ebook formats out there, it's incredibly useful to be able to convert, manage, and organize all in a single application.

however, i specifically wanted to point out that the UI is kind of sluggish and burdensome! not that it's especially bad, but compared to e.g. itunes, i feel like a small amount of work could really pay off. i think it would be incredibly easy to program a beautiful UI in cocoa and this would make using it a lot nicer

but regardless, i really appreciate all the work you've put into this program. keep up the good work!
sirtoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
As others will no doubt tell you, this is common complaint of new users. Because calibre is cross platform, there are limits what can be done with the user interface. Optimizing for Windows makes it less useful on other platforms such as Linux or Mac.

There is also little consensus as to just how it ought to be reorganized, since it is used in many different ways by its different users. Being a Sony guy, you could throw everything non-Sony overboard as for as I'm concerned, but Kindle users, which are a large number of users, would feel differently.

Kovid Goyal, the creator of Calibre, accepts contributions of code, since it is open source. You are free to try to try to re-write the interface code if you have the ability and inclination. He of course has to evaluate any contributions to make sure they will not create new problems and new support headaches for him.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote