Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book should we read for the June Discussion?
Persuasion by Jane Austen 15 39.47%
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If it makes things any easier, LibriVox has the audiobook. As with all LibriVox offerings, it's a free download, produced and read by LibriVox volunteers.

http://librivox.org/ivanhoe-by-sir-walter-scott/

Zip file of the entire book(533MB): http://www.archive.org/download/ivan...x_64kb_mp3.zip

All files are public domain in the USA.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-31-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Add "All files are public domain in the USA."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #32
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I sometimes get a bit embarrassed that I make decisions based on book length. I think the reality is now that so many books are competing for my time that I try to allow the most chance for completing most of those books.

And although I won't necessarily dodge a big book (I have Anathem and Wise Man's Fear coming up before the end of the year), I will consider how I distribute them in my reading list. So for the reading club, which often brings up books that are not in my immediate reading plans, I will be more likely to balk at the bigger books. I also ditched Anna Karenina for one of the book clubs for a similar reason even though I would definitely like to read Tolstoy at some stage.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #33
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If it makes things any easier, LibriVox has the audiobook. As with all LibriVox offerings, it's a free download, produced and read by LibriVox volunteers.

Zip file of the entire book(533MB): http://www.archive.org/download/ivan...x_64kb_mp3.zip

The audio book option is very tempting.

It's worth knowing, too, that the entire 1997 mini-series of Ivanhoe is available one You tube. It's obviously not going to be a top quality video but it is certainly watchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I sometimes get a bit embarrassed that I make decisions based on book length. I think the reality is now that so many books are competing for my time that I try to allow the most chance for completing most of those books.

And although I won't necessarily dodge a big book (I have Anathem and Wise Man's Fear coming up before the end of the year), I will consider how I distribute them in my reading list. So for the reading club, which often brings up books that are not in my immediate reading plans, I will be more likely to balk at the bigger books. I also ditched Anna Karenina for one of the book clubs for a similar reason even though I would definitely like to read Tolstoy at some stage.
I feel very much the same way. There's really only so much time to even if one is a .

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-01-2012 at 04:22 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #34
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
App for Audiobook

I suspect that most of you already know this, but perhaps it is still worth mentioning that iTunes store has quite a large variety of audiobook apps available--both free and paid. I've only recently become interested in this approach but I think I may make more use of it in the future.

I downloaded the inexpensive "Free Audiobooks" and the very cheap Gutenberg app which uses Librivox. The first allows downloads and the other makes use of streaming--hence takes up little disc space. They complement each other nicely.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-01-2012 at 03:13 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've already listened to the first two chapters of Ivanhoe, and I just finished watching the movie with Elizabeth Taylor free via my Amazon Prime membership. I have the book on my Kindle, but I want to re-read Frankenstein first (the 1818 edition) in preparation to seeing the limited engagement of the movie of Nick Dear's play next week in one of our local theaters. (It's directed by Danny Boyle.)
Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #36
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I have a nice copy from the B&N classics giveaways. Looking forward to finally getting around to this one...
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #37
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Thanks for that information. Unfortunately I find it very difficult to substitute and audio book for reading, at least for any book I wish to retain more than a superficial grasp of. When my eyes are not occupied with reading it is too easy to become distracted and miss much of what I am listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The audio book option is very tempting.

It's worth knowing, too, that the entire 1997 mini-series of Ivanhoe is available one You tube. It's obviously not going to be a top quality video but it is certainly watchable.

I feel very much the same way. There's really only so much time to even if one is a .
Thank you for that. The 1952 film is entertaining, but very glossy and at under two hours run time obviously leaves out much that is in the book. I watched the first couple of YouTube clips of the 1997 series last night. I like the gritty realism consistent from a time when bathing was considered unhealthy. At five hours total it should provide pretty good coverage of the novel.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #38
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
When do these polls open each month? Can anyone join in the book club?
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #39
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzanphan60 View Post
Yes anyone can join join.

The discussions for the current book starts around the 20th of each month. The nominations for the following month start in the middle of the current month (around the 15th to the 18th or so). The nominations thread is open for about two weeks or until we get 10 fully nominated books (which usually happens within a day or two), and the initial poll starts as soon as the nomination process is done.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzanphan60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Yes anyone can join join.

The discussions for the current book starts around the 20th of each month. The nominations for the following month start in the middle of the current month (around the 15th to the 18th or so). The nominations thread is open for about two weeks or until we get 10 fully nominated books (which usually happens within a day or two), and the initial poll starts as soon as the nomination process is done.
Actually, the discussions and the Nominations for the next month are both start on the 20th, and yes, anyone can join. All you have to do is take part.

Following the nominations, we have a four day poll where we select two (or in case of a tie, more) books for the run-off poll, which runs for three days.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
pyatrus
Enthusiast
pyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toys

Device: Nexus 7 (2013); Sony PRS-505; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I've been curious about Persuasion ever since seeing it used as a story device in the movie The Lake House. . . . :-)
pyatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #42
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
But you can read it nevertheless, although it didn't win.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote