Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FAIL!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #62
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Do I detect a fang against aPple?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #63
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Still no iSlate. Just another iPhone. (sad)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #64
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
To be honest, if Apple made a device it would be some kind of LCD screen, so I don't really see the point of waiting for one when we all know that E-ink devices are better
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #65
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
To be honest, if Apple made a device it would be some kind of LCD screen, so I don't really see the point of waiting for one when we all know that E-ink devices are better

Nooooooooooooooooo! Don't open the flood gates.... !!!!!!!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #66
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Only if they glowed in the dark! A backlight was my deal breaker.

Last edited by DixieGal; 06-10-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: She said as the floodgates began to open...
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #67
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Hehe, sorry about that PilotBob. I don't think Apple is going to touch the book market at all. They're obsessed about video and audio and the web. They may make a bigger version of the ipod at some point, but there is such a saturation in the netbook market right now. It just doesn't make sense, even though I think they would do a superb job at making one.

Can I close the floodgates?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #68
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Personally I don't think dedicated reading devices will be around all that long. When the screen technology gets better, they will be multifunction. They'll be ultraportable tablets and people will be using them for all sorts of things including reading. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple made a device like that since it has way more mass-market appeal.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #69
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Yes, dedicated readers will be along. Every multifunctional device that is portable needs to be small. So - perhaps your average 5'' reader will be integrated into your mobile with a rollable screen.
But your 9,7'' or even A4 device with touchscreen - there is (and will stay to be) a market for those devices.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #70
TheRealBillc
evangelist
TheRealBillc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 deceased now 950
tech improvements

It's going to take more than improvements in screen technology to make readers true multifunction devices, like a PDA or smart phone, if ever. Battery power would need to be improved significantly for one thing. Every other function is going to drain battery power, which is currently an advantage of a reader that I wouldn't want to give up. The other functions would also have to operate within the same form factor and weight, at least for me. One of the reasons I want a reader is so I can read & listen to books on the same device. I really don't need that device to do everything my phone does because my phone already does those things, and I'm not interested in adding a phone to a device that is 7 inches or more long and about 5 inches wide. I'd feel really silly holding that up to my ear. Conversely, I don't think my phone is of a size that makes for comfortable reading of a novel. I think having two devices is acceptable for the near future and maybe for my remaining time on the planet. I just want my reader to be very light, refresh as quickly as possible, hold some books, a dictionary, and provide a good reading experiance, my phone can do the rest - and still fit in a pants pocket.
TheRealBillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #71
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBillc View Post
It's going to take more than improvements in screen technology to make readers true multifunction devices, like a PDA or smart phone, if ever.
That is correct.

Quote:
Battery power would need to be improved significantly for one thing. Every other function is going to drain battery power, which is currently an advantage of a reader that I wouldn't want to give up. The other functions would also have to operate within the same form factor and weight, at least for me.
Imagine something like an iPhone that could be opened and a 5'' or 6'' eInk-Screen rolled of. So that you had a normal mobile phone that could be extended to an eReader. Perhaps even with a touchscreen on that reader display.
Now - battery power. It would last approx as long as your normal portable. Perhaps longer - color eInk instead of LCD for the normal display.

But I agree - for the near future having two devices will be acceptable. But still I would prefer having only one device - imagine having your calender not on that teensy portable display, but on a real 5'' screen?

Okay, I should stop here. I'm beginning to getch etchy to design that device and I sure as hell dont have the money...
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote