Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Pat.Bloomfield
Pat.Bloomfield began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Converting books from Public Library

[FONT="Arial"][/FON
I hope members of this forum will forgive me for a simple question that may well have been asked before.
I recently purchased a Kindle (the Wi-Fi version) and, with hope in my heart, downloaded a book from the Toronto Public Library in the belief that Calibre would convert it to a format that my Kindle can read. I picked Shroud for a Nightingale, an Adam Dalgleish detective story, added it to the list of my Calibre main page, and clicked "convert individual book". The immediate reply was that the book is in a format the Calibre cannot read. Yet I had asked for the download in the E-pub format.
Now the Library tells me that E-books it lends cannot be read on a Kindle because of restrictions by Amazon. But I had read that there ways to circumvent this problem using a good conversion program. And I had never expected a problem in a download to a computer since that is the way so many E-books are read.
Am I doing something wrong? Can anybody guide me?
Pat.Bloomfield.
Pat.Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Welcome to MobileRead Pat.
Your question as you can imagine is quite common. The solution involves in removing the DRM from the book and then converting it to Mobi format. There are some legal/moral complications to this which are discussed extensively here if you wish to search and read.

The rules of this board prevent giving direct help in the removing of DRM ... although if you are able to download and read the book in Adobe Digital Edition and you have a working Calibre library, you are almost there.

To continue, Google the phrase "Apprentice Alf Blog" and read the entry on DRM and the Perplexed. Follow his directions.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As abookreader says, you're almost there. I use my Kindle to read books from the BC Library system (need to see if that Dalgleish is there - it's one I've missed somehow.) Apprentice Alf is the missing piece, and the instructions there are pretty good. Almost as good as the ones I wrote up for my own family's use, which were specifically written with the BC Library in mind.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Pat.Bloomfield

To abookreader and Charlie: Thanks very much for your prompt replies. I shall try Apprentice Alf Blog. I am a little unsure about the legal and moral complications. What I do know is that, if I went up to my local library and borrowed a hard copy of this book I would be taking a legitimate action available to all citizens.
Pat
Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a rather large thread going on about stripping DRM and converting library eBooks and the answer is, it's illegal depending on what state you live in.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127602

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-08-2011 at 09:30 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat.Bloomfield View Post
To abookreader and Charlie: Thanks very much for your prompt replies. I shall try Apprentice Alf Blog. I am a little unsure about the legal and moral complications. What I do know is that, if I went up to my local library and borrowed a hard copy of this book I would be taking a legitimate action available to all citizens.
Pat
As with all things in life that are not black and white, you are best following your own moral compass. There are plenty of people on this forum that feel the need to act the part of Big Brother, take take them with a grain of salt....I hope you enjoy your Kindle and all of its functionality!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a rather large thread going on about stripping DRM and converting library eBooks and the answer is, it's illegal depending on what state you live in.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127602
Go play somewhere else. Neither of us lives in ANY state. We live in Provinces, since we're both Canadian, as clearly anyone who can read would know. And DRM removal for personal use in Canada is not illegal, nor would it be if the proposed new law had passed before we had an election called.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Pat
No problem Pat. I honestly just mentioned it in an attempt to avoid another 42 pages of the exact same arguments "It's legal.No it's not.It's immoral.No it's not!" being made over and over. Probably futile because this is a topic where people really enjoy their opinions.

You will find that nearly everybody here on the Kindle board pretty much follows their own conscience in this matter.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Pat.Bloomfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
As abookreader says, you're almost there. I use my Kindle to read books from the BC Library system (need to see if that Dalgleish is there - it's one I've missed somehow.) Apprentice Alf is the missing piece, and the instructions there are pretty good. Almost as good as the ones I wrote up for my own family's use, which were specifically written with the BC Library in mind.
Thanks very much for your offer, I tried Apprentice Alf and downloaded and unzipped the necessary file, but got stuck when it came to opening the Calibre_Plugins folder. I simply could not locate this folder. I may have made a mistake earlier on. I would appreciate your own instructions. They might give me the missing key. My E-mail is patrick.bloomfield@gmail.com. Any help very gratefully appreciated.
pat.bloomfield
Old 04-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Go play somewhere else. Neither of us lives in ANY state. We live in Provinces, since we're both Canadian, as clearly anyone who can read would know. And DRM removal for personal use in Canada is not illegal, nor would it be if the proposed new law had passed before we had an election called.
We'll be Americans soon enough...
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
We'll be Americans soon enough...
Actually, we all are americans ... as long as you live on America (South, Central, North) Is a big continent!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Actually, we all are americans ... as long as you live on America (South, Central, North) Is a big continent!
Actually, HEMISPHERE!

Yes, I've always wondered by Canadians and Mexicans (and keep going south) are not Americans.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
we are all humans
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Thanks very much for your offer, I tried Apprentice Alf and downloaded and unzipped the necessary file, but got stuck when it came to opening the Calibre_Plugins folder. I simply could not locate this folder. I may have made a mistake earlier on. I would appreciate your own instructions. They might give me the missing key. My E-mail is patrick.bloomfield@gmail.com. Any help very gratefully appreciated.
pat.bloomfield
Replied off-board. But this sounds like a simple Calibre problem, and if worst comes to worst, we can always have a discussion in the Calibre section of the board as long as we keep it to plug-ins in general.