Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Porting old games to the iLiad

How hard would it be to port some of the old "console" games to the iLiad? I was thinking of things like NetHack:

http://www.nethack.org/index.html

or one of the Infocom game interpreters (for "Zork", etc) such as:

http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-...etersXzip.html

If anyone fancies having a go at one of these I'd be eternally grateful .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'm already a step ahead of you. I've ported Gargoyle, which is an interactive fiction player. I've included Zork in the package.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11239

Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's wonderful! Does it still involve editing a script to play a new game?

At one time I was a huge fan of Interactive Fiction (IF). Played all the Infocom games and lots more besides.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's wonderful! Does it still involve editing a script to play a new game?

At one time I was a huge fan of Interactive Fiction (IF). Played all the Infocom games and lots more besides.
Unfortunately, yes. But it's very simple, even a non-linux person should be able to figure it out... Just look at run.sh
Old 08-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'll get back to you on that. Never underestimate the depths of my ignorance of Linux. Now if the iLiad ran Windows....
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Now if the iLiad ran Windows....
It would be unstable, proprietary, and bloated?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Old 08-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
http://www.icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php?license=free

I found a site listing free Linux games. I'm sure at least some of them could be ported to the Iliad.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote