Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Soulsykk
Soulsykk began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Constant Hard Drive Access

Hi,

When using Calibre my Hard Drive is constantly being accessed (about once per second) with the access light blinking on and off. This seemed to happen once I added some books to my Calibre library (I added about 600 ebooks).

Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Soulsykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't think this has anything to do with Calibre in any way. I think that there is one of two things going on. You have a spyware program that is constantly acessing your hard drive keeping an eye on what you are doing and sending that information back to the software author so that you can be targeted by adds and or so that the author can gain access to your PC and hopefully get your credit card number.

Another thing that may be happening, and is a lot less of a problem the the first posibility. Older PCs have a very slow hard drive controller (the part that actually touches the drive) and it simply can not keep up with the requests for acces to the hard drive. In this case you will need to repalce the hard drive and controller or purchase a new PC.

What do you do about the first one - install an anti-virus and anti-spyware software which will take care of the problem. Try Complete Secure at http://completesecure.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by jbcohen; 12-22-2010 at 10:59 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsykk View Post
Hi,

When using Calibre my Hard Drive is constantly being accessed (about once per second) with the access light blinking on and off. This seemed to happen once I added some books to my Calibre library (I added about 600 ebooks).

Any idea why this is happening?
When you first add a bunch of books calibre creates a opf file for each book so the database could be rebuilt if needed. I believe they throttle back the writing to so many records per minute so not to slow your machine up. You should see this go away when the writing is complete.

Plus, unless you exempted your library (as I did) your antivirus is checking every file that is created along the way.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Soulsykk
Soulsykk began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
When you first add a bunch of books calibre creates a opf file for each book so the database could be rebuilt if needed. I believe they throttle back the writing to so many records per minute so not to slow your machine up. You should see this go away when the writing is complete.

Plus, unless you exempted your library (as I did) your antivirus is checking every file that is created along the way.
Thanks, this explained my issue in a nutshell. The throttling did stop after a while.
Soulsykk is offline   Reply With Quote