Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
iPad Air with LTE tip: You can switch carrier SIMs at will

Just read on GigaOM that new iPad airs LTE can be used on any carrier. In other words, you can swap and change SIM cards. AT&T SIM on an iPad Tmobile and viceversa.

This is actually nice, in my opinion, as give us more freedom when buying and/or moving among carriers.

Again, I have not tested this, just read it. Food for thought.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Best bet, get the Verizon iPad since Verizon doesn't like activating unrecognized devices on their network.

iPads in the US have always been unlocked. You can actually use the Verizon iPad 3 with AT&T or T-Mobile. Alas, it was limited to HSPA with AT&T and EDGE with T-Mobile (prior to Tmo refarming the GSM 1900 band to HSPA). This is the first time Apple has released a unified model. I was planning on skipping the iPads this year but with the new models, I'm thinking of getting one for international use (most likely a retina mini).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tested ;-).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384617569.956963.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	115272

It works with my Tmobile Retina Mini
Old 11-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Tested ;-).

Attachment 115272

It works with my Tmobile Retina Mini
Was the Verizon SIM already activated? The challenge is in getting Verizon/Sprint to activate SIM cards for non-Verizon/Sprint iPads.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Was the Verizon SIM already activated? The challenge is in getting Verizon/Sprint to activate SIM cards for non-Verizon/Sprint iPads.
Actually, I think it does not matter. You just need to bring your device and say that you want the no contract plan. They just want your money and monthly pay, so no reason for say no. Of course, we are talking about new ones, which are carrier independent.

Now, my Mini retina is Tmobile. My old Mini is Verizon. So I just took the Verizon Wireless SIM, stopped the automatic monthly refilled and activated the 200 MB free with Tmobile. The idea is travel with the new Mini and the Verizon micro SIM. If I have no reception or ran out of the 200MB (unlikely, most hotels or places give you some type of free wifi) I just swapped it and activate the Verizon one.

Anyway, I think that Apple's move of making the 4G chip universal, will bring more competition between carriers.

;-)
Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Actually, I think it does not matter. You just need to bring your device and say that you want the no contract plan. They just want your money and monthly pay, so no reason for say no. Of course, we are talking about new ones, which are carrier independent.
Unfortunately, it does matter. Both Verizon and Sprint are being anal about only activating Verizon/Sprint-only iPads. For Verizon, they do activate the SIM card but the IMEI of your device has to be whitelisted (Verizon-branded), before they'll activate your SIM. You can get around this limitation by activating on a Verizon device and then moving the SIM card to the non-Verizon device. Sprint is even more backwards as it seems they're activating the MEID of the device. I have yet to hear of anyone successfully being able to use a non-Sprint iPad with a Sprint SIM card.

Quote:
Anyway, I think that Apple's move of making the 4G chip universal, will bring more competition between carriers.
You'd hope so, right? Unfortunately, both Verizon and Sprint are being very backwards when it comes to BYOD. I really hope corporate policy changes in the near future to allow for BYOD.

As it stands, you've got the following options if you want easy activation:
Verizon iPad: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile
Sprint iPad: Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
AT&T iPad: AT&T, T-Mobile
T-Mobile iPad: AT&T, T-Mobile
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Just read on GigaOM that new iPad airs LTE can be used on any carrier. In other words, you can swap and change SIM cards. AT&T SIM on an iPad Tmobile and viceversa.
This has always been the case with 3G iPads sold in the UK - they are not "SIM-locked" and can be used with any carrier.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Perhaps the thread title should be modified to clarify United States. It is different here. Even the new devices are still sold as branded to a particular carrier. The purpose of this thread is targeted to people in the US to state that even though you bought your iPad with AT&T on the box you could use it with T-mobile instead, for example, or the various combinations provided by ilovejedd.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This has always been the case with 3G iPads sold in the UK - they are not "SIM-locked" and can be used with any carrier.
In USA and Colombia, it depends of the carrier.

In USA, at least a year or two ago, Tmobile technology was different. So you were not able to use a AT&T device on Tmobile and viceversa, at least! not at full speed. I think still that's the case, but the new iPad chip is not carrier dependent so makes stuff easier.

Carriers here are also against that, obvious reasons. You you usually find sales people that just refuse to do it (happened to me). Others just say it is not possible, simply because ignorance.

News have now published the ability to use the iPads on any carrier so this basically have forced the major carriers to compete against each other with better plans and/or allowing you to bring your own device and active with them. In other words, they now want to make money with the data plan, not only with the hardware sell.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Sprint is even more backwards as it seems they're activating the MEID of the device. I have yet to hear of anyone successfully being able to use a non-Sprint iPad with a Sprint SIM card.
iPad mini retina or old ones ?

Check Verizon and Tmobile site. I do believe that now you can bring your new retina Mini or iPad air and they will activate it.

Like I said, my new Mini is Tmobile and I was able to browse Internet with the Verizon's SIM. So clearly, the device was allow to use Verizon's cellphone towers.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-17-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Perhaps the thread title should be modified to clarify United States. It is different here. Even the new devices are still sold as branded to a particular carrier. The purpose of this thread is targeted to people in the US to state that even though you bought your iPad with AT&T on the box you could use it with T-mobile instead, for example, or the various combinations provided by ilovejedd.
Correct. I am referring to USA customers.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Like I said, my new Mini is Tmobile and I was able to browse Internet with the Verizon's SIM. So clearly, the device was allow to use Verizon's cellphone towers.
That does not contradict what was said earlier. As long as the SIM had been activated on a Verizon device, it would work. It is different if it is a new SIM and you inserted for the very first time on a non-Verizon device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That does not contradict what was said earlier. As long as the SIM had been activated on a Verizon device, it would work. It is different if it is a new SIM and you inserted for the very first time on a non-Verizon device.
I'm a little confused. Verizon is a CDMA network, isn't it? I thought that CDMA devices didn't use SIM cards
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Have you visited Verizon recently ?

I'm in Texas. After buying my Tmobile mini I did. The guy in the store tried to convince me of getting a monthly plan with my new Tmobile Mini. So it looks they are relaxing the policy.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm a little confused. Verizon is a CDMA network, isn't it? I thought that CDMA devices didn't use SIM cards
Micro SIM.

My old Verizon Mini uses one, shown in the picture.

The new Minis use micro SIMs as well, including Verizon.