Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Exclamation How to stop certain app behavior

This is something that's been driving me crazy - app shortcuts keep appearing on my homescreen even though I have that behavior turned off in my settings. The worst offenders are YouTube and Google translate app. I have been scouring the net for any solutions, but I keep coming across instructions on how to add an app. Is there anyone who knows how to stop this behavior?

citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
The only thing I know about is in Play where I can uncheck "Auti add widgets" or something similar. I don't know if that will help with your problem though if thos paticular apps misbehave.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
This was happening on my phone - every day 2 or 3 icons would show up on my desktop. Even went into Sprint and short of a hard reset they couldn't do anything. At the time I wasn't willing to lose everything and do a hard reset.

Last week I finally decided to hard reset - not because of the icons but because I was having a problem with my bluetooth headset connection - and installed all but the games I had.

That solved the problem with the desktop icons. They no longer keep popping up. Must have had something to do with one or more of the apps, but no idea which app was the culprit. Decided I can do without games on my phone.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
The only thing I know about is in Play where I can uncheck "Auti add widgets" or something similar. I don't know if that will help with your problem though if thos paticular apps misbehave.
Thanks Asawi...........I didn't even know this was an option. Goes to show how much I look in settings! Now I can get rid of installed app icons showing up too.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did that - apps are set to install without adding an icon to the homescreen. The problem is that already installed apps will re-add icons even after I delete them. YouTube is the worst offender, followed by Google Translate. I uninstalled Translate, and if this continues, I'll do the same with youTube but I would prefer not to.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
mobilelover
Enthusiast
mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
which android os are you using at present have you tried removing the app completely and reinstalling it check the video see if it helps

Code:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV7tfWNihFw
mobilelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
citac
Fanatic

Unrooted phone, Android version 4.0.4, phone is Prestigio, model PAP4040 DUO. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, but it did not seem to help. I'll check the video.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
citac
Fanatic

I am at thismoment performing a backup in order to instal a new firmware which was issued a couple of days ago. As soon as it's done, I will downlpad the firmware update and install it. Hopefully that will fix this issue, as I prefer an uncluttered homescreen. Thank for your suggestions!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
citac
Fanatic

New firmware did not help - YouTube app keeps reappearing even after I remove it from my homescreen! :-( I am out of ideas and might have to uninstall the damn app, and it was more convenient than opening up videos in my browser.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Are your apps set to automatically update? Perhaps this whats happening here ?
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
citac
Fanatic

No, I always review them and update manually. I can't find anything in the settings to prevent this. It's ridiculous. I don't know whether it's the app or Android or what. And the OS is not skinned in any way, so I can't even say the company messed up! :-)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
My first thought was the Google play thing but there are sneaky apps that can spam ads, shortcuts, etc but why they would want to put youtube or translator on your homescreen I have no clue.

I think it might be worth scanning with "New Airpush Detector" not that I've actually used it but it seems to have the most favourable comments out of the apps that detect that kind of behaviour.

Edit: Noticed another potential app that might help you track it down called "Addons Detector" but again I'm only going by the reviews and not personal experience.

Last edited by Teknikal; 03-26-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
citac
Fanatic

Thanks, I'll try them out; I tried everything else I could think of!

What about Google AdMob Ads? I just came across it in the Google Play settings, don't know how I missed it the first time.

Last edited by citac; 03-26-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Tags
apps, shortucts