Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Rowan47
Rowan47 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Help with choosing an E-reader

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase an e-reader in the near future (so may potentially wait for new models to come out if you guys think it's worth it). Here's what I'm looking for;

-I read lots of online news, so need to be able to connect to wifi to read my emails and websites

-Must be able to read online news articles clearly

-I want an e-reader so I can read more often more conveniently e.g. in situations where I don't wanna carry a bag or book around with me like on the train to go out into the city etc, so it must be able to fit into an average pocket if possible

Thanks!
Rowan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No eInk reader is a good device for browsing the web. If that's your priority, you should be looking at a tablet, not an eInk device. Something like the Nexus 7 or the iPad mini would be ideal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Rowan47

Ahhk awesome, thanks Harry. I'm not very similar with the terminology! Are these devices relatively easy to carry around in one's pocket? Even if the dimensions are such that this is possible, is it safe to carry them in your pocket? Do people do that?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Simbeline
Simbeline began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wouldn't say even the small tablets really "fit" in your pocket. The 7" ones would fit in any small bag, though.

To be quite honest, I think you might be interested in a large screen smartphone - most of these have decent web apps, or have dedicated RSS/news reading apps you can download, and will definitely fit in your pocket. Most large screen smart phones now have 4" or larger screens, which is only a little bit smaller than the 5" ereader screens - the 5" ereaders like the Kobo mini/Cybook Opus/etc are probably the only actually "pocketable" ereaders, and they suffer from the same browsing difficulty as all ereaders.

If you're interested in a tablet crossover I think the only one is the Galaxy Note? Maybe there's other ones out now. It's got a 5 odd inch screen but is still small enough for the average pocket, and would have a much better browsing experience than an ereader.

Hope that helps

EDIT: And on the reading note I think there's reading apps eg. from Kindle or Kobo for most operating systems of tablets/phones, or you could find a non-associated epub reading app, I'd imagine.

Last edited by Simbeline; 01-13-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Simbeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No eInk reader is a good device for browsing the web.
Reading on-line news articles is not the same as "browsing the web."

If you do the browsing at, say, longform.org, I can't imagine how the experience could be better on a tablet than on an eInk reader. Ditto for dozens or hundreds of news sites that can be gotten via Calibre.

As for the "read online news articles clearly" requirement, if you want to read text-based web sites browsed in advance, I also find eInk also just fine -- with the caveat of having the font sizes controlled by going through www.readingthenet.com.

Examples:

Japan Broadcasting Corporation:
http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=....jp%2Fdaily%2F
tinyurl.com/d9lwp85

Swaminomics:
http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=...waminomics.org
tinyurl.com/cbejsu7

The Times of India:
http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=...mesofindia.com
tinyurl.com/7gmf6ae

Washington Post:
http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=...p=30&u=twp.com
http://tinyurl.com/c44nt47

Also, if Rowan47 is in the US, I recommend the Kindle Keyboard 3G with the New York Times Latest News Blog for $1.99 a month. Unfortunately, it won't fit into the average pocket. I do fit it into a winter coat pocket.

EDITED: I just noticed that for some or all of my links, you now have to use the tinyurl address. I'll keep the full address there so people know what is behind the tinyurl addresses.

EDITED AGAIN: The above edit does give a feel for a disadvantage of accessing the internet via an eInk Kindle. The URL's you need to use tend to change over time.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-13-2013 at 04:12 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan47 View Post
Even if the dimensions are such that this is possible, is it safe to carry them in your pocket? Do people do that?
Are you at Rowan University?

If so, I'll mention that the Philadelphia subway has frequent audio messages to guard your electronic devices. However, I think a monochrome screen might slightly deter theft, if noticed. From that standpoint, the iPad is less safe.

If you are talking about durability, rather than theft, I suspect that modern phones and tablets with Gorilla glass are less fragile than eInk readers. But if you get a Kindle eInk reader, Amazon has been honoring the one year guarantee if if you crack the screen. I've cracked several, but then I am unusually clumsy.

Aside from the screen, the devices are pretty durable. I had one go through the wash -- the screen cracked, I presume during the high speed spin, but otherwise it was not damaged.

It's possible that a 5 inch eReader would be a good compromise between fitting in a pocket and having a big enough screen to be comfortable. Sony makes them. However, the news will not be continuously updated as you travel. You would perhaps use Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) to load your device with news every morning. I both load from Calibre and get continuous updates via 3G -- almost anywhere in the world, no monthly fee.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-13-2013 at 04:05 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Rowan47

Ah I see, well that's ok. I can always read the news at home or whenever I've access to my laptop. Can anyone recommend a device that can fit in a pocket that I can just read e-books on?

EDIT
I'm at university in Australia, yes. I'm not worried about theft (pickpocketing is largely unheard of in Melbourne), I was just concerned about the fragility of the devices. Thanks

Last edited by Rowan47; 01-13-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan47 View Post
Ah I see, well that's ok. I can always read the news at home or whenever I've access to my laptop. Can anyone recommend a device that can fit in a pocket that I can just read e-books on?
Since pocket-sized is a high priority for you and you're in Australia, check out the Kobo Mini (Officeworks, JB HiFi, etc).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote