Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I understand not liking or wanting something like this. I don't understand making this so important that you would forgo bug fixes and new features you might enjoy. Tell me more, if you can about how that works?

And Peter is right. The beta group (not that we were used much for this) was very clear that no one wanted this.
Does anyone know what bugs were fixed? (other than less ghosting on pdfs that is) There are no release notes to tell us and adding the title to the top of the page on epubs is not what I would call a bug fix, it is a new "feature" which should be documented in the release notes. I know this is an old complaint with kobo as they often don't bother to update the release notes.

It really is unfortunate that Kobo can't be bothered to listen to the beta testers on things like this.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 05-09-2013 at 05:50 PM.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
After the update I now have the stupid title always shown on top in .epubs as well.

-> factory reset and back to 2.5.1.

I am assuming it will do this on the Mini as well?? What a horrible way to waste valuable reading real estate. Did they not make it an option you can switch on or off..? THAT would have been the sensible thing.

I will also not be updating mine...
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Ditto. I cannot fathom that anyone would WANT the title on every page. I can understand not caring about it. It is a definite DO NOT WANT for me.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post

I am assuming it will do this on the Mini as well?? What a horrible way to waste valuable reading real estate. Did they not make it an option you can switch on or off..? THAT would have been the sensible thing.

Yes this is on the Mini as well (mine updated before I saw the post mentioning this new "feature"). There is no option that I can find that allows you to disable it.

I won't be updating my Glo or Aura to this new firmware, and I will be going back to 2.5.1 on the Mini.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
I understand not liking or wanting something like this. I don't understand making this so important that you would forgo bug fixes and new features you might enjoy. Tell me more, if you can about how that works?
Well ... the way text is displayed is the core functionality of a reading device and if some - non adjustable - aspect of the standard layout bothers you for some reason you have to face it on every single page.

Any idea what the bug fixes and new features are with this version. Not to forget newly introduced, old re-appearing bugs and dropped features from earlier versions?
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #21
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Seriously, something like this could be enough to make me switch brands. This update could be Kobo's Windows 8 (and we know how well that is going, don't we, Mr Ballmer?).
OMG! Does this mean that my Kobo is going to weigh 10% more to store all of the extra pages!!!!!

I haven't applied the update yet, but judging from the top bar that pops up on 2.5.1 on an Aura, it would mean the loss of one line. It is also worth noting that it is possible to read standard ePubs with the top bar visible. I don't know why you'd want to do this, but I have accidentally done so a few times. The top line is chopped off in those cases, which is a greater annoyance (in my opinion) than displaying one line to start with.

As for comparing it to Windows 8 ... slight hyperbole there?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:

And Peter is right. The beta group (not that we were used much for this) was very clear that no one wanted this.
How does one join the beta group? I've tried searching, but all I find is a form that goes to a non-existent back-end and Kobo support hasn't replied in I think 2 months now.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
PM Sameer or one of the other Kobo staff that participates here and ask. It is not functioning as well as it has in the past, but there are some very good people hanging in there.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
After the update I now have the stupid title always shown on top in .epubs as well.

THE HELL?!

DO NOT WANT. NO NO NO NO NO.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Why????? I was about to buy a mini. I wanted small but....effective use of screen real estate.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #26
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:

Hello? Earth to Kobo... Earth to Kobo... Is anyone listening? I bought an Aura so that I would have a larger screen to read from. Larger screen=more words on each page, or so I thought. Silly me. Hello? Hello? Hello?
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
2.5.2 is not yet available over here but if it is so bad I might just avoid it.
Could someone please upload a picture of this title thing that supposedly takes a line of two off the reading space so that we can see what you are exactly talking about ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
OMG!
I haven't applied the update yet, but judging from the top bar that pops up on 2.5.1 on an Aura, it would mean the loss of one line.
It's not just the loss of real estate. I find a top title display extremely distracting. I've tried reading kepubs, and this aspect of their display bugged me every single time I turned the page - it's one of two core reasons why I don't read kepubs (the other being the pages-in-chapter display instead of pages-in-book).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
This is absolutely unjustifiable. No one asked for this feature and it should be removed immediately.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
2.5.2 is not yet available over here but if it is so bad I might just avoid it.
Could someone please upload a picture of this title thing that supposedly takes a line of two off the reading space so that we can see what you are exactly talking about ?
It is the same as the title for kepubs. A waste of space and a bit distracting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote