Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #31
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
How about this from Phoenix Pick Press. I gave up on them a long time ago because it took so long to fix their books, but I decided to look at this months freebie. How much does an author have to pay for such poor formatting?

Their books have no css and I cannot read this one in Mantano because I can't even increase the font enough for me to read. I can't change the font in Mantano either. Also, what is the reason that the word "whereabouts" is split into three sections here? I can't see a difference in formatting, but maybe someone else can. To me that is even worse than having no css.

This is a portion of the html:

Quote:
<p style="font-size:11.5pt; line-height:120%; margin:0pt; orphans:0; text-align:justify; text-indent:14.4pt; widows:0"><span style="color:#000000; font-family:serif; font-size:11.5pt">With a sigh compounded equally of excitement and fear—of failure or discovery—he blew out the little paraffin lamp he’d made last year from the bottom of a can. It was the first such “forbidden” project he’d undertaken and he was unreasonably fond of it. Familiar with his wh</span><span style="color:#000000; font-family:serif; font-size:11.5pt">e</span><span style="color:#000000; font-family:serif; font-size:11.5pt">reabouts by feel alone, he took up another coil of wire—this one long, loose, and with a weighted end—and emerged from his tiny cave at the base of the crater wall just below the Rimfence.</span></p>

Last edited by Purple Lady; 07-02-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #32
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I just spent hours fixing a book that had one class overridden almost SIX THOUSAND times in a dozen different ways. Why bother creating a class that centers text if you override it so that the text is never centered? Or a top margin of 1em if you force it to 0em or 2em but never use the default of 1em? I don't get it. It's much more work to override a class a bazillion times than simply to create a class that does what you want. How does this happen? I suspect a WYSIWYG editor from hell. I can't imagine someone would code this way on purpose.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 AM   #33
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
How about this from Phoenix Pick Press. I gave up on them a long time ago because it took so long to fix their books, but I decided to look at this months freebie. How much does an author have to pay for such poor formatting?

Their books have no css and I cannot read this one in Mantano because I can't even increase the font enough for me to read. I can't change the font in Mantano either. Also, what is the reason that the word "whereabouts" is split into three sections here? I can't see a difference in formatting, but maybe someone else can. To me that is even worse than having no css.

This is a portion of the html:
They used to use something called Aspose.Words for .NET which did a terrible job, no working CSS and fixed point sizes for all text.

In fairness to them their newer stuff is better formatted, I wish they would update the old stuff as well though (The old stuff tends to be what they give as freebies).
Bit of a pain to sort in sigil, so I only tend to get their monthly deals if they really interest me now.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:31 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The best way to deal with Phoenix Pick Press eBooks is to do an ePub > ePub conversion in Calibre. Then you have a CSS and all of those style codes in the XML end up in the CSS. You can than change the CSS fairly easily as most eBooks won't need any/much fancy formatting.

I've given up on their eBooks as there is too much else to read that's not formatted like someone dropped a bomb on the code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:18 AM   #35
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Oh, yes, Phoenix Press... Got one of their freebies once, looked at the code and unsubscribed from their mailing list at once. I wonder what I would have done if I had actually paid for that mess...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #36
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I figured that I could do an epub to epub conversion, but I shouldn't have to. I wonder how many others won't buy from Phoenix Press because of their terrible formatting. You don't need to look at it to know it's bad, you just need to try to read it and not be able to increase font size. A freebie is often the first time you try out Phoenix Press, so not updating their older stuff only hurts them.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I figured that I could do an epub to epub conversion, but I shouldn't have to. I wonder how many others won't buy from Phoenix Press because of their terrible formatting. You don't need to look at it to know it's bad, you just need to try to read it and not be able to increase font size. A freebie is often the first time you try out Phoenix Press, so not updating their older stuff only hurts them.
I gave up on Phoenix Press. I'm wondering why authors allow their books to be butchered by them.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #38
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Obviously some of the problems result from using an automated tool to convert from a word processing or typesetting document. I've seen a couple of retail (not pd) books that have blockquote wrapped around every paragraph, with a left margin of 2em and right margin of zero. Apparently nobody thought this looked weird.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 AM   #39
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Obviously some of the problems result from using an automated tool to convert from a word processing or typesetting document. I've seen a couple of retail (not pd) books that have blockquote wrapped around every paragraph, with a left margin of 2em and right margin of zero. Apparently nobody thought this looked weird.
Or perhaps nobody even looked.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Or perhaps nobody even looked.
Perhaps these publishers are formatting on 20" computer screens
and perhaps they can't even wrap their brain around the concept of 'No Paper'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I was having a fix up of an eBook that has two CSS files and had 457 unused CSS styles removed when I used Calibre to removed unused styles.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I run into a surprising number of commercial ebooks that have a significant left margin and no right margin (though not wrapped in a blockquote) for normal body text. There has to be something popular in retail workflow that makes this happen. A css template that blindly gets copy/pasted again and again. Like maybe the css for all the right-hand pages of the physical book's layout or something?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I run into a surprising number of commercial ebooks that have a significant left margin and no right margin (though not wrapped in a blockquote) for normal body text. There has to be something popular in retail workflow that makes this happen. A css template that blindly gets copy/pasted again and again. Like maybe the css for all the right-hand pages of the physical book's layout or something?
That left margin/no right margin is a hold over from making Mobi eBooks. Mobi has a left margin, but no right margin. The symptom is called Kindleitis where an eBook is made to conform to Mobi even though it's ePub and/or KF8.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That left margin/no right margin is a hold over from making Mobi eBooks. Mobi has a left margin, but no right margin. The symptom is called Kindleitis where an eBook is made to conform to Mobi even though it's ePub and/or KF8.
That makes absolutely no sense, Jon. Even with no way to set a right margin, setting a left margin results in offcenter normal body text on old Kindles, new Kindles, and all epub devices. Nobody would do that on purpose for typical body text (nobody rational anyway). And the conversion to an old-style mobi would just ignore any right margins that were set anyway. There was never any reason to remove them from the source altogether. Good to see you're still getting mileage out of that anti-kindle broken record of yours, but that one was a bit of a reach. You've done better. Step it up.

There's no need to set left or right margins on the normal body text of a Kindlebook (or any other ebook). All readers come with their own defaults and user settings. Specifically setting a left margin of 2-3em and right margin of 0 for that situation makes even less sense (even when lending your explanation a bit of creedence just for the sake of argument). Unless you believe they're creating Kindlebooks, then unpacking the html 3.2 source from the old mobi portion and using THAT to make the retail epub I just bought.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-08-2015 at 02:16 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:14 AM   #45
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
THis one makes me wonder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HO12CS6
Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup (it's free currently)

It's got 3,308 customer reviews, yet it looks (and feels) like a gutenberg copy. The one in our library is better formatted.
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote