Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
GVC2031
Enthusiast
GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
Power off vs. Sleep

The Kobo Touch ships with default settings of sleep after 15 minutes and to never power off. Is there any downside to not turning it off, just putting it to sleep? Are these the preferred settings?
GVC2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
possible battery drainage when only on sleep
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
this is actually been mentioned a couple of times; when in sleep mode , the last page you are on stays in the systems ram, which requires power to maintain, and this is why it's much faster to get back into your book from a sleep state. When the device is off, ram is cleared so no power is required to maintain it. There is however, I believe, constant power drain regardless of the power state for the system clock, but this should be negligible.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVC2031 View Post
The Kobo Touch ships with default settings of sleep after 15 minutes and to never power off. Is there any downside to not turning it off, just putting it to sleep? Are these the preferred settings?
I've had my KT for a couple of weeks now and have only used the default settings. I don't notice a great battery drain when it sits idle and will probably leave those settings and only turn it off when I know I won't be using my Kobo Touch for number of days.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
My Kobo Wi-Fi lasts 40 days using power off and lasts 11 days using sleep mode, reading once a day for 2 hours.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I once had auto off after 1 hour set. Seemed I was often turning it on soon after auto off so no power saved.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Battery savings mainly as many have said.

if i only "sleep" and never power down, i'll get a weeks reading out of a charge.

If i power off between uses, Easily 2-3 weeks
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
EMG
EMG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
Battery savings mainly as many have said.

if i only "sleep" and never power down, i'll get a weeks reading out of a charge.

If i power off between uses, Easily 2-3 weeks
It took me some time to figure that one out. The way I had it setup is that I deactivated shutdown mode, had sleep mode on 5 minutes and activated airplane mode. I figured I'd get good battery life, but only got about a week in between charges. I started using shutdown mode about 5 days ago and I'm still almost fully charged (as opposed to nearly drained)!!!

Bottom line is; don't use sleep mode. It may be convenient, but it sucks the life out of your battery.
EMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG View Post
It took me some time to figure that one out. The way I had it setup is that I deactivated shutdown mode, had sleep mode on 5 minutes and activated airplane mode. I figured I'd get good battery life, but only got about a week in between charges. I started using shutdown mode about 5 days ago and I'm still almost fully charged (as opposed to nearly drained)!!!

Bottom line is; don't use sleep mode. It may be convenient, but it sucks the life out of your battery.
How often do you read / buy, etc? Staying asleep on Kobo Touch has very low power consumption, should last you more than 5 days.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
I started using sleep mode two days ago, after recharging my battery. Powered off only in the evening. After approximately 6-8 hours of reading, my battery died. The monitor was showing it was approximately 3/4 full. Charged it overnight for about 11 hours. This morning, it still said it was connected and charginig. After disconnecting, it looked fully charged. I am running 1.9.9
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
EMG
EMG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
How often do you read / buy, etc? Staying asleep on Kobo Touch has very low power consumption, should last you more than 5 days.
I read about twice a day, anywhere between 30 minutes to 1 hour each time. Besides reading with my KT, I sometimes open a side loaded CBR file as a reference guide for the series I'm currently reading (I loaded all the George Martin Maps on a CBR file for the Fire & Ice Series). So besides switching occasionally from the CBR to the Kobo bought book, I really don't venture into other functions on my KT such as browsing, etc...

Still, I get about a week with a single battery charge when on overnight sleep mode.
EMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I leave mine on sleep all day, it's a bit of pain turning on and loading the book I'm reading. Of course this might change if I got a KT because the start up speed is so much faster. But also remember that turning it one will take up a bit of power as well.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Sleep mode on the Kobo is not nearly as power efficient as Kobo seems to think. I can only compare to my other e-reader, the Sony PRS-650. That one can go a month on a single battery charge with sporadic daily reading in sleep mode.. The KT, oth, needs to be powered off or it will barely go over a week. It doesn't help that the Battery meter on the KT is so unreliable. (At best, the unit will force shutdown when the battey is still at a quarter.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote