Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
dimitri
dimitri began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Cleaning up calibre's library & covers

Hello
I was wondering if there is a way to remove duplicates and unused files from calibre's library?
I have been using calibre for a week or so and after importing my collection (a couple hundred books) and adjusting metadata I noticed there are now duplicates in the library folder, that is directories for both the old metadata and the new.
Probably unrelated, the covers displayed when browsing books in calibre often don't match the books.
I'm using calibre 0.6.13 under linux.

Thanks.
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
Hello
I was wondering if there is a way to remove duplicates and unused files from calibre's library?
I have been using calibre for a week or so and after importing my collection (a couple hundred books) and adjusting metadata I noticed there are now duplicates in the library folder, that is directories for both the old metadata and the new.
Probably unrelated, the covers displayed when browsing books in calibre often don't match the books.
I'm using calibre 0.6.13 under linux.

Thanks.
That version is really old . (The Repositories are way behind)

do the "Binary Install" found on the Calibre Linux Download page
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux Paste that entire line into a terminal window.
(you might want to remove the previous version. Your Library will remain intact)

The newer version have a "Merge feature"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
In theory there shouldn't be any duplicates or unused files in the library. As you change metadata the directories/files are changed.

When you first installed calibre you should have pointed to an empty directory. If you didn't then you may now have a jumbled mess.

Quote:
Ithat is directories for both the old metadata and the new.
At this point I would like to give you advice but you are trying to use a version that is almost 50 updates behind.

My only advice is to copy the calibre library to a safe place so your books aren't lost then follow theducks advice and (after removing the old software) install the current version of the software using the binary install presented on this page.

Make sure you point to an empty directory this time and then re-add your books with the If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically feature checked.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
dimitri
dimitri began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Thanks.
I installed the new version, which fixed (?) the problem with the covers. The 'merge' feature doesn't help with the existing library so I will do as dwanthny suggests when I have time. I hope the library doesn't get messed up again.
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, covers, database, library