Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Your choice ebook for $9.99 today (5/21) at O'Reilly

It's "Your Choice" for a discounted $9.99 ebook at O'Reilly today (5/21). Discount code is FAVFA. You can pick any of the 2000 O'Reilly ebooks except for ones from Microsoft Press. O'Reilly books are mostly computer technology books, DRM-free, and you can download any (or all) of their three formats: mobi, pdf and epub. Some ebooks are also available in an Android .apk format.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Note: their shopping cart seems to be having problems. It errored out on me a couple of times, finally went through, but the book I bought isn't on my bookshelf yet. I'd suggest waiting a couple of hours; I suspect they're a bit overloaded, with a deal like that.

Does anyone know if the code is one per customer, or can you order additional books? I just bought Learning Python, so I can make some contributions to calibre (weird, I know, actually buying a book on a programming language instead of hacking first, reading second) but if this is good for multiple purchases, I'm gonna go to town. O'Reilly books without the cubic footage!

P.S. The book finally showed up; yeah, I think they're swamped!

P.P.S. And now errors out, with a really remarkable couple of pages of error messages, when I try to download my book. I think I'll try again after lunch.

Last edited by Worldwalker; 05-21-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried buying another book in a second transaction, and it accepted the coupon. Perhaps that's why the website is overloaded.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard

The code works for all ebooks in your cart. The website is slow, and I'm still waiting for my books purchased today to show up in my account, even the ones I purchased several hours ago. I've been buying (paper) books from O'Reilly for at least 15 years, so I'm sure they will show later today.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Thanks for the post. I have wanted a few of the books, but held off due to price. now I am glad I waited!

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
photon17
Enthusiast
photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Too many
Website keeps saying the promo code is invalid. Any hints?
photon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard

Code FAVFA just worked for me. Are you in the US? By the way, I noticed that if you already own the paper copy of an O'Reilly book, if you register it, you can get the ebook version for $4.99 with the code MB499. I'm not sure if this one is only valid for today only, though.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
desdemona
desdemona began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
bgal, thanks so much for the registration code! I have three O'Reilly books I've been wishing I had waited to buy as ebooks instead of paper. It doesn't hurt as much to buy them again at only $5 a pop.
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a few that I'd like but all my paper ones are packed for the move. Since they offer an ebook+pbook bundle for only a few dollars more than the pbook alone, I suspect that may be a regular thing. I hope so.

As for the sale, they got me for $70 ... which is something like $250 worth of ebooks. Got a couple I'd been looking at in paper but couldn't justify dropping $35 on, and a few other goodies. Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to download all of them. "Due to heavy server volume you may experience trouble downloading your ebooks." I assume "heavy server volume" == "every geek in the known universe disposing of all their disposable income on the O'Reilly site right now."

This is my day for deals -- I was looking for a particular garden plant, and just happened to hit a short-term sale on a nursery's website, and ended up with over $100 of plants for under $30, too. I'm dangerous around a sale; I'm not really sure if I actually need an olive tree, but now I've got one. Or will, anyway, once it's delivered.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm not in a hurry, but the book I've bought isn't available yet, after 24hrs. The order information doesn't show any error, so I believe everything went fine.

Is there anyone else here with the same problem. I'd expect that downloadable content would be available immediately after the payment, don't you think?

Anyway, it is a great deal. Let's hope it is only an overload due to the sale event.

Regards

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Gummby
Enthusiast
Gummby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, GEB1150, Treo 680
Thanks for the heads-up. Like others had said here, I had some I was looking at in dead tree. Had older editions, and got the upgrades on the cheap.
Gummby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

I still don't have access to the downloads from my second purchase. I got the confirmation email, and I trust O'Reilly to come through, but I think their store got hammered pretty hard when everyone and their brother tried to buy ebooks all at once. And I really wanted to relax with "Designing Web Navigation" this weekend. (yeah, I know I'm a very strange individual...)
Old 05-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I was able to download my first order this morning. It still doesn't show the second purchase I made later yesterday.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

I emailed support and got an auto-reply that essentially said "OMG our servers fell down, went boom." Pretty much as we figured, basically. The books should be showing up as soon as O'Reilly takes care of the puddle of slag in their server room.

If this was partly a test to see how the market would respond to the $9.99 price point for tech ebooks, I'd say it was successful. Maybe a bit too successful.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I still don't have access to the downloads from my second purchase. I got the confirmation email, and I trust O'Reilly to come through, but I think their store got hammered pretty hard when everyone and their brother tried to buy ebooks all at once. And I really wanted to relax with "Designing Web Navigation" this weekend. (yeah, I know I'm a very strange individual...)
Haha...I had exactly the same experience with "Designing Web Interfaces". I emailed support, and they replied back within 5 minutes, and had fixed my book.

I'm also taking advantage of their other promo to buy ebook copies of my many O'Reilly paper-back books for $4.99 each. Hell of a good deal!
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote