Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
elkrott
elkrott began at the beginning.

Device: kindel touch
Downloading epub from public library

When i download a epub book to my computer sufix shows as Adobe Content Server mMessage properties show it as .acsm shouldn't it show as .epub?
Nook connected as wireless but book goes to my computer and not to the Nook.
Any help greatly appreciated
elkrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
You have to use Adobe Digital Editions to open the .acsm file, then the book will download to your computer into a file called "My Digital Editions" inside My Documents (Windows). Just open ADE and drag the .acsm file into it and it will work. Then you can drag and drop the epub file from "My Digital Editions" onto your Nook.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
elkrott
elkrott began at the beginning.

Device: kindel touch
Thanks But how do i get it to download from public libraray to my Nook?
elkrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
When I download an epub book from the library to my computer it is as a ACSM file. Then I upload that file to my e-book reader which then downloads the actual book. Seems to me to be pretty convoluted, but that's how it works for me.

I'm referring to my Velocity Cruz e-book reader.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrott View Post
Thanks But how do i get it to download from public libraray to my Nook?
Plug in the Nook and move the file with your computer
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrott View Post
When i download a epub book to my computer sufix shows as Adobe Content Server mMessage properties show it as .acsm shouldn't it show as .epub?
Nook connected as wireless but book goes to my computer and not to the Nook.
Any help greatly appreciated
ACSM is not the book it's just a pass to download the book, you have to use Adobe Digital Editions. Once ADE is installed just drag and drop the .ACSM file into it, a notification that your book is being downloaded should come up for a few seconds while the epub downloads, then plug your nook into your computer and (If this is your first time using ADE it will prompt you to register your Nook to your Adobe account) After it is registered you can drag and drop the book from ADE into the tab that says Ereader (Should be at the bottom of a list that goes borrowed, purchased, all books)
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
magkelly
magkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: T310 Cruz Tablet
I was pretty ticked when I realized I had to put an Adobe application on my tablet to read library e-books. As it happened it doesn't work with my Cruz so it's either put back on and use the Kindle application which does, and which I really, really didn't like, or forget it. Between that and waiting for a month just to get one single book I wanted I pretty much gave up on the local library's e-book system.

I don't particularly like being hooked up to several book stores via e-reader, being forced to sign in or even to log on or download every book in the reader every time I want to read. I didn't realize that a lot of the readers out there either have you reading the book online or dl it whenever you open it. I also didn't realize that I was going to have to use my account sign in for Amazon all the time just to download and read e-books. Loading my own isn't all that easy in some of the readers. I've got several now on mine that are compatible that are strictly offline readers and that allow me to load my own e-pubs whoever I want to.

Not actually owning the books you buy, books expiring on the HD it's a little weird besides. You can't renew a library e-book, too many people waiting so if you don't get to it fast you're screwed and the lines for the e-books are kind of insane. I can only reserve 3 and I have to wait a month to get those more often than not, eh, what's the point? It's more trouble than it's worth I think. I didn't realize that it was quite this complicated getting the newer e-books from the library. I like my Cruz and I've always been a major supporter of libraries but I can't ever see myself getting too enthusiastic if they don't manage to somehow make it easier to borrow books.
magkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi.

I don't have a Cruz but I take books out from the library often so I will to explain what I do. Hopefully, these steps work the same with the Cruz as with my ereader. First, I will assume that there is some type of software that allows you to read ebooks on the tablet. I do not have to be online to read books from the library and I do not have to have Adobe Digital Editions installed on my ereader. I DO have to have Adobe Digital Editions on my PC.

From my PC, I download a book I have checked out from the library. During the download, Adobe Digital Editions opens and the book appears. The EPUB file is now located on my PC in My Documents/My Digital Editions. I close Adobe Digital Editions and start Calibre. I choose Add Books, navigate to My Computer/My Digital Editions, and select the book I just checked out. I use Calibre to convert the book from EPUB to EPUB to set some formatting that I prefer on my ereader. I then connect my ereader to the PC with the USB cable (my ereader does not have wireless, I assume if I had wireless I could do this part without needing the USB cable) and choose Send to Device. The book is now on my ereader and also still on my hard drive. I can read it without being online (since my reader can't even go online) and I don't have Adobe Digital Editions installed on the ereader, but I do have Adobe Digital Editions installed on my PC.

I hope that wasn't too confusing and that it helps. If my steps are incorrect for your device, I am sure someone who has more knowledge can correct any mistakes I've made.

ElsieC
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Maybe a bit on the side here..
Is there any means to "unauthorise" a computer from ADE?
I am currently at work on a ship, and the work PC (which has internet access) is already registered to my colleague.
I'd rather not lock my books to his account. I tried to uninstall the ADE (and deleting his books) but the ADE reinstalls with his lock to the PC.

(I've tried Apprentice Alf, no luck).
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, you can de-authorise your computer from ADE, but unfortunately I really can't tell you how. If I remember it right you have to send an email to Adobe. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge will join this thread and tell us, what exactly you have to do.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yes, you can de-authorise your computer from ADE, but unfortunately I really can't tell you how.
I found out:
http://www.richland.lib.sc.us/rcpl/h...l-editions-ade

Moderators; please feel free to remove the above link if you find it not in accordance with the Forum policy.
As this link was found at "ask a librarian" I think it may be legal.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
I found out:
http://www.richland.lib.sc.us/rcpl/h...l-editions-ade

Moderators; please feel free to remove the above link if you find it not in accordance with the Forum policy.
As this link was found at "ask a librarian" I think it may be legal.
They have the same information on Adobe's support forums posted by Adobe employees so it should be okay. Besides, even if you deauthorize a device, it's not like Apple where it's deducted from your device quota. The deauthorized device still counts towards your maximum number of devices.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Besides, even if you deauthorize a device, it's not like Apple where it's deducted from your device quota. The deauthorized device still counts towards your maximum number of devices.
I'm aware of Adobes even more customer unfriendly policy. That's why I have a Kindle (which can be deregistered to transfer the licence to another device). It's just that I do not want my public work computer and my colleagues account to be filled up with "my" books. ("My" since, apparently you don't buy a book but just buy the right to read it on a device dictated by Adobe).

Anyway, there are means to work around the ADE in order to read the mentioned books on my Kindle..
Old 03-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Good to know. Thanks!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by magkelly View Post
I was pretty ticked when I realized I had to put an Adobe application on my tablet to read library e-books. As it happened it doesn't work with my Cruz so it's either put back on and use the Kindle application which does, and which I really, really didn't like, or forget it. Between that and waiting for a month just to get one single book I wanted I pretty much gave up on the local library's e-book system.

I don't particularly like being hooked up to several book stores via e-reader, being forced to sign in or even to log on or download every book in the reader every time I want to read. I didn't realize that a lot of the readers out there either have you reading the book online or dl it whenever you open it. I also didn't realize that I was going to have to use my account sign in for Amazon all the time just to download and read e-books. Loading my own isn't all that easy in some of the readers. I've got several now on mine that are compatible that are strictly offline readers and that allow me to load my own e-pubs whoever I want to.

Not actually owning the books you buy, books expiring on the HD it's a little weird besides. You can't renew a library e-book, too many people waiting so if you don't get to it fast you're screwed and the lines for the e-books are kind of insane. I can only reserve 3 and I have to wait a month to get those more often than not, eh, what's the point? It's more trouble than it's worth I think. I didn't realize that it was quite this complicated getting the newer e-books from the library. I like my Cruz and I've always been a major supporter of libraries but I can't ever see myself getting too enthusiastic if they don't manage to somehow make it easier to borrow books.
Two things to make your eReading easier and more satisfying. The first is Calibre, to manage your personal library of books. And the second is to google Apprentice Alf to make sure you can control both the format and the use of your books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote