Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #151
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Thanks for the detailed IdeaPad A1 review, stockoneder! The information was very helpful.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #152
tequila0341
Enthusiast
tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, Kobo Glo HD
Stockoneder - have you tried to look at any PDFs on this? How do they look?
tequila0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #153
stockoneder
stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.stockoneder could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 3
Yes. They are readable but I need to turn it on its side to do so more comfortably. Easier to read pdf's on this compared to my kindle. Text is clearer, sharper, brighter and easier to change sizes by using two fingers to shrink or enlarge. No contest between reading pdfs on this versus the kindle. This is much better.
stockoneder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #154
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Too bad about the GPS that's supposed to work offline, but otherwise it sounds like you've got a pretty good tablet! I really hope Lenovo can get these things steadily out there in front of customers this shopping season, because consumers should know there's more to small tablets than Nooks and Fires.

Interesting that screen is responsive, but not as much as the iPod Touch? I've never had a Touch, so I can't really compare. Is there a pause or lag? The Flyer feels more responsive that the Galaxy 10.1 and I haven't tried to calibrate it, but the screens also feel different with the Galaxy feeling glossier. The Flyer feels like it has more grip, for lack of a better term, which I guess my fingers like. I wonder if the A1 and Galaxy have a similar coating on the screen?

Oh, I saw Best Buy's Black Friday ad. The Acer Iconia 7-incher, the newer one (can't remember the number off the top of my head) is going for $189! Stings a bit after my Flyer, but I'm not a fan of cold, crowds, stampeding for merchandise, etc., and the Acer didn't click with me when I played with it (though it seemed like a nice tablet), and I more or less accepted buying a tablet now would cost more than BF online or in store. I'll take the sleep and relaxation. ;-)
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #155
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Problem with GPS, especially in cars, is that they need a fairly large antenna. And that eats battery! Car windows these days often have a coating that will sometimes even stop the dedicated navigation systems. I'm not surprised the A1 can't handle that... It's often helped by adding an external antenna (not sure if it has the connection for that...)

But it really sounds like a good device. (not that I would get rid of my Flyer now that I have it!)

And about the screencoating, I would always, and I mean always!, recommend to put a screenprotector on your screen...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #156
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post

Oh, I saw Best Buy's Black Friday ad. The Acer Iconia 7-incher, the newer one (can't remember the number off the top of my head) is going for $189! Stings a bit after my Flyer, but I'm not a fan of cold, crowds, stampeding for merchandise, etc., and the Acer didn't click with me when I played with it (though it seemed like a nice tablet), and I more or less accepted buying a tablet now would cost more than BF online or in store. I'll take the sleep and relaxation. ;-)
emilikins you didnt miss much on the sale.. the acer iconia a100 has 1/3rd of the battery life of the flyer because it uses a battery 1/3rd the size of every other tablet on the lplanet (infact its smaller than my phones battery) and the screen isnt as good as your Flyer. also your flyer has the HTC sense wich is in my opinion better than thw vanilla ui from acer.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #157
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Problem with GPS, especially in cars, is that they need a fairly large antenna. And that eats battery! Car windows these days often have a coating that will sometimes even stop the dedicated navigation systems. I'm not surprised the A1 can't handle that... It's often helped by adding an external antenna (not sure if it has the connection for that...)
Are you sure about that, or are you just repeating something you heard? It looks like passive GPS antennas start at about a 1/2" x 1/2", and the Lenovo certainly has room for something bigger than that.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time a company has screwed up on antenna design...
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #158
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Are you sure about that, or are you just repeating something you heard? It looks like passive GPS antennas start at about a 1/2" x 1/2", and the Lenovo certainly has room for something bigger than that.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time a company has screwed up on antenna design...
Was that a "mule side kick" at the big A?
I am out of karma right now, but when I get a refill, I will give you some.

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #159
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Was that a "mule side kick" at the big A?
I am out of karma right now, but when I get a refill, I will give you some.
The thought had crossed my mind as writing it, but I was actually thinking about the poorly-designed GPS antenna in my Samsung phone (something which marred an otherwise perfect device).

I'm sure there are dozens of examples out there from every major manufacturer, though. The poor electrical engineers just don't get enough respect, I guess, and it must be hard to sell management on the idea of spending two weeks designing a bit of wire.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #160
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Gave him some for you, SeaKing

Yep, I'm happy with the Flyer! I do need to order the screen protector, probably will tonight or tomorrow off Amazon. Should've done it when I bought the case, but spaced it.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #161
LesRS
Enthusiast
LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Lenovo A1 Tablet
Thanks for the review! I went ahead and ordered one from Best Buy @ $199.00. After your thorough review and looking around at the alternatives, I thought this one would work for me. Want to be able to read both my Kindle and Nook books.
LesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 AM   #162
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post

The antenna doesn't need to be outside the device! But it does need a fairly open view to the sky. When we were in search for a GPS device for on our bikes, a lot of them would even stop working if I had my rain poncho on and it was covering the device...

If I want to use the GPS on my (aging) PDA in a car, I need the external antenna because the car window is blocking too much. And ever tried a (cheaper) GPS device while standing in a forest?

Also, if it's an internal antenna, the body of the device itself (and probably the internals) can interfere as well...

But I'd think you'd be silly if you'd only buy this device for its GPS

My two major concerns were the screen quality and general availability... It looks like the screen is good, but general availability (here) is still lacking...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #163
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks

LesRs - Is BestBuy shipping it out right away? The Check Availability link said it would leave the warehouse in one business day, but I know that's just a generic status (though the Flyer said 3-5 business days, interestingly). I hope it does ship that fast for you!

Ha, for kicks and giggles I checked in with Google to see if the A1 had market support, and they still say no, but most recent reviewers have said yes. So, communication is broken somewhere, and maybe I had all this heartache for no reason, but I'm going to do the silly and chalk it up to fate that I was supposed to have the Flyer Or maybe I transposed my wedding frustrations on something I actually had a voice in and control over.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #164
LesRS
Enthusiast
LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Lenovo A1 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
LesRs - Is BestBuy shipping it out right away? The Check Availability link said it would leave the warehouse in one business day, but I know that's just a generic status (though the Flyer said 3-5 business days, interestingly). I hope it does ship that fast for you!

Ha, for kicks and giggles I checked in with Google to see if the A1 had market support, and they still say no, but most recent reviewers have said yes. So, communication is broken somewhere, and maybe I had all this heartache for no reason, but I'm going to do the silly and chalk it up to fate that I was supposed to have the Flyer Or maybe I transposed my wedding frustrations on something I actually had a voice in and control over.
Hey Emilikins -

Best Buy estimates mine will arrive @ the Best Buy store of my choice on Nov. 22nd. I haven't received any updates yet. A note in the email says in BOLD letters not to go to the store before the estimated date of delivery. Got my fingers crossed for next Tuesday!!!
LesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #165
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks

Quote:
A note in the email says in BOLD letters not to go to the store before the estimated date of delivery. Got my fingers crossed for next Tuesday!!!
LOL, for some reason I read that very literally, and imagined a bunch of blue polo shirts tackling you as you came in just to browse. I think my post-lunch coffee hit the bloodstream. That's curious, though. I wonder if Lenovo has an embargo on when it can be released into the wild? Or it'll rock their world out of orbit if you try to buy it in store after ordering.