Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #61
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
That's just it... they /do/...

The catch is that it seems they say it in the overview and feature pages, and not the tech specs page for the 600. And on the 900, they used to say it on the overview, but now only says it in the features page.
NEWS FLASH -
ALL advertising departments lie!!!

Well, not really. In some reproducible way you will get the results that they say. It just may not be true to life, or in the way that you read.

Maybe if you can read 1 page per second, and do not stop, or leave it on you will get all of the page turns that they say.

After all it MUST use some electricity just monitoring for the next command. Page turn, etc.

And about the USB charging - I only use USB and have no problem. No software needs to run while charging. I also never turn it off, I just put it in sleep mode.

I have a Motorola phone that uses a USB connector but will not charge from a computer. Life is tough.

Bad battery, reader, etc. - get a replacement. But I can easily imagine someone getting a reader (partially charged) and complaining that it is no good because it lasted only a few days.

And I have seen batteries that will hold a charge, when briefly tested, but fail when put to real use.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 01-23-2010 at 12:23 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #62
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
One or two comments have talked about software needing to run but the problem isn't software needing to run, what's required is the USB connection being to a computer rather than just a USB charger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
NEWS FLASH -
And about the USB charging - I only use USB and have no problem. No software needs to run while charging.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
One or two comments have talked about software needing to run but the problem isn't software needing to run, what's required is the USB connection being to a computer rather than just a USB charger...

That's not strictly true either. It has to do with the data lines. The reader has to think it is connected. My pocket pro charger worked fine with it. Some computers don't.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #64
DebT
Enthusiast
DebT began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have had my 505 for about a year and half...and battery has never been an issue. I charge it on my computer about twice a month if I remember, usually once. I do nothing with it but read books. I love the reader. I read every night and around an hour or two throughout the day.
My only mis fortune has been with the computer software. One day the library just would not open. I attempted to get help with no sufficient answers so I just dont use the library I use calibre to get the books I want on it. I miss the ability to organize that the collections provided but all in all I would not give my reader up. I will be looking for a new one come summer for my daughter. If something catches my eye I may consider a new one but for me I just read. I dont need all the bells and whistles I need the ease of carrying a wide variety of books and screen that is like the page of a book that I can easily lose track of in a story.
I'm sorry you had so many problems with them. I dont like their software but I love the reader and I would recommend the Sony for a reader and do.
Good Luck
DebT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #65
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebT View Post
I miss the ability to organize that the collections provided but all in all I would not give my reader up.
Don't give up on your collections because you use Calibre - Calibre has great collection support. Just highlight a book and add a tag for which collection you want to see it in. Some of mine use tags Horror, Short Story, Lovecraft.
Think it does multiple books at once too if you want.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #66
DebT
Enthusiast
DebT began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
awesome! thanks!
I am on that right now....
DebT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #67
TonyTerra
TonyTerra began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500,Sony PRS505 & Viewsonic VEB612,Apple 64GB ipad,Sony PRS950
I'm surprised that you have had support problems with Sony.I made a comment on their web site [Canada] and received a direct response from the office of the president of Sony Canada.and a speedy reply to my query.
TonyTerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #68
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
Don't give up on your collections because you use Calibre - Calibre has great collection support. Just highlight a book and add a tag for which collection you want to see it in. Some of mine use tags Horror, Short Story, Lovecraft.
Think it does multiple books at once too if you want.

Robert
Yes, it does do multiple tags. Hilight the books you want to add tags to, click edit meta data and add the tags in the tag line, click OK.

Now removing multiple tags from multiple books does not work as well. When you hilight multiple books and do a group edit you can not see what tags are currently associated with each book. There is a line to remove tags that you have to type in the tag to remove, but I find it easier to remove tags individually, then add as a group.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #69
Jedai
Jedai began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Sony Touch Reader
Smile

My PRS-600 lasts between 3 and 4 days, but I suspect my reading habits have a lot to do with that since I turn somewhere between 3000 and 6000 pages in those 3 days. All in all and given that I can charge it during the night or even while I'm reading at home, it is quite enough for me and I'm quite happy with this reader.

My major gripes are with the software and firmware, Sony Library is inadequate especially compared to the free software Calibre and even the most recent firmware is still pretty limited, without a support for "series", "summary" and the completely crazy IMHO time required to scan the library after an USB charge (I just refuse to believe that it is necessary to spend more than 5 minutes to scan a measly 400 files with no special full text indexing).

--
Jedaï
Jedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #70
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To get back to the subject/original topic.....

OH NO!!! I just bought a Sony 900 yesterday and completely forgot about this warning!!! OH NO!!! I'm DOOMED!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #71
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Well, it does sound like the OP got some poor customer service.

Put me in the happy-with-Sony service camp. I had to deal with them to replace the power switch in my 505 and it was a joy, aside from out-of-warranty cost.

I didn't spot a statement about the total time between charges. As noted by several others, these devices draw power unless you shut them down completely (not just the 'sleep mode' of the power slider).

Also, don't make your page count calculations complicated. Every change of the E-ink display counts as a page turn regardless of your font size. Just think of page flips as 'image changes.' You should have an indication of how many pages are in a book at any given font size. Change to a larger font and the number of pages will go up.

My 505 went almost two weeks and 2000-3000 page flips between charges when it was new. For an example of near-continuous reading, I read approximately 1,500 pages on a transatlantic flight and consumed one 'bar' of battery life.

I am looking forward to the more-convenient battery replacement design of the PRS-900.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #72
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Wow! That's so strange that you have had such a horrible experience. I love my Sony. I get great battery life. I'm not sure which reader you have, I have heard some complaints about the screen on some. My 505 has given me no reasons for complaint. I've not dealt with the customer support dept, but I guess there's always a bad apple in the bunch. Hope you find a reader you're satisfied with, but not everyone hates Sony as much you do presently.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #73
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
To get back to the subject/original topic.....

OH NO!!! I just bought a Sony 900 yesterday and completely forgot about this warning!!! OH NO!!! I'm DOOMED!!!

Have you suffered the doom yet? Enquiring minds want to know.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
Have you suffered the doom yet? Enquiring minds want to know.
No, but I'm a quivering mass of protoplasm.....

Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #75
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
Now removing multiple tags from multiple books does not work as well. When you hilight multiple books and do a group edit you can not see what tags are currently associated with each book. There is a line to remove tags that you have to type in the tag to remove, but I find it easier to remove tags individually, then add as a group.
Click on the large luggage tag icon on the bottom right. I think you'll be surprised how easy it is to isolate and remove any tag from multiple books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, don't buy it, pdf, prs-600, sony reader