Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
kittythepooka
kittythepooka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader PRS-600
Change Author Metatag in Epub File

Hello! I have recently bought a Sony E-Reader PRS-600 to read my rather large collection of .pdf files. Since I bought it I recently went ahead and purchased an ebook of Frankenstein from the Sony e-book store, since I need it for a class and it has to be annotatable.

All that I want to do is change the author metatag. By pure necessity of volume I have added metatags to all of my pdf's reading the author's last name, then first as according to MLA. The ePub file has the file reading the author's first name first. In short I need it to say Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft, instead of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. Honestly this is the only thing I need to do.

I haven't had much trouble working with the .pdf files since I am lucky enough to have a full version of Acrobat 8, where all you do is hit ctrl+D and there's the metadata to edit, but I have to admit that the epub file baffles me. How the heck to I change the way the author reads on an epub file? Help would be so greatly appreciated!
kittythepooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Get Sigil (the ePub editor). It has a metadata window (press F8).

Open the ePub, edit the metadata. Save. Done.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
kittythepooka

I tried to get Sigil, but the installation instructions are ridiculous if you're not a programmer. When I tried earlier it said something about "And this is how you put this program together!" Look I'm a lit major, I don't do code. Is Sigil available anywhere in an .exe file?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
kittythepooka

Never mind, found it. Hope it works, thanks for the tip!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
If your epub has DRM then Sigil cannot open it as it only opens DRM-free epubs.

If you purchased this instead of downloading it from one of the free sites for public domain work, then it may have come with DRM (Adobe's Adept DRM scheme). If that's the case then you would need to strip the DRM first before using Sigil.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittythepooka View Post
I tried to get Sigil, but the installation instructions are ridiculous if you're not a programmer. When I tried earlier it said something about "And this is how you put this program together!" Look I'm a lit major, I don't do code. Is Sigil available anywhere in an .exe file?
What I think is easy and what others think is easy may differ but what part of these instructions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstallationInstructions wiki page
Just run the installer. Everything should take care of itself.
do you find too complex and ridiculous to understand?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I have never seen an ePUB with DRM, but I understand they have each file encrypted separately in the zip container. It could then be very well the case that the OPF file (which contains the metadata) is not encrypted, and only the real book content is, then it should be possible to edit the metadata without affecting the DRM at all.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
We humanities majors sometimes don't start at the beginning, and we don't always notice links (because we're fascinated by the words.)

I'll bet kittythepooka searched for Sigil, and didn't find the project page first.

Plus, Windows melts your brain.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I have never seen an ePUB with DRM, but I understand they have each file encrypted separately in the zip container. It could then be very well the case that the OPF file (which contains the metadata) is not encrypted, and only the real book content is, then it should be possible to edit the metadata without affecting the DRM at all.
According to the OCF, the OPF file should never be encrypted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCF spec
The following files MUST never be encrypted (regardless of whether default or specific encryption is requested):
  • mimetype
  • META-INF/container.xml
  • META-INF/manifest.xml
  • META-INF/metadata.xml
  • META-INF/signatures.xml
  • META-INF/encryption.xml
  • META-INF/rights.xml
  • OEBPS rootfile (the OEBPS Package file)
Old 01-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Then it should be possible to change metadata even for DRMd files (unless the encryption key for the other files somehow uses a hash of the OPF file...)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
kittythepooka

Haha, to clarify my mistake, "I'll bet kittythepooka searched for Sigil, and didn't find the project page first." is *EXACTLY* what happened.

Since I bought the file from the sony store, it does have the encryption on it. How hard is it to strip this?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittythepooka View Post
Since I bought the file from the sony store, it does have the encryption on it. How hard is it to strip this?
See this thread.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
kittythepooka

Haha, oh my god, so many acronyms! Thank you very very much though, this is a wonderful start. =)
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Excellent, thanks for the link!
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #15
kittythepooka

Sullivan- if you're having the same issue I was, I've put together a nice little folder with Sigil, python, the scripts, and instructions in it. Interested?