Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
What are the next game changing smart phone technologies?

High resolution displays, voice control, artificial intelligence, long life batteries, NFC and wireless charging are here now, but not yet evenly distributed among smart phone models.

Soon they will be equally everywhere and will operate better than they do now.

What are the technologies beyond those that you are waiting for and that will be must have-its in cell phones?

Maybe this?

Quote:
Speech recognition software company Nuance is working with chip makers on how to build a chipset for a mobile device that would let users get assistance from a smartphone without touching it—even when it's in power-saving "sleep" mode—by simply speaking to it.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
HAL: "Dave I am aware that you and frank were planning to disconnect me, Although you took precautions to avoid my hearing you in the pod I could see your lips move"
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Non-breakable displays.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Will that make people turn out to buy new models?
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It will when applied to both wi-fi and 3G/4G devices:
  • schools
  • libraries
  • outdoors-types
  • athletes
  • me
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Foldable screens. Get a 7-10 inch tablet and fold it to 4 inch phone
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The problem with voice control and activation is our generally noisy environment. I already dislike any cubical-neighbors who insist on using speaker phones whenever they answer their phone. I frequently get an urge to join their conversation and say inappropriate things. If more people start talking to their phones I may go postal.

To me, the next big thing has to be a major display improvement, either foldable/rollable or heads-up (e.g. Google glasses). I think heads-up has more long term bang.

There are many small things that improve incrementally such as battery capacity, memory capacity, processing speed (and speed per unit energy). I think the 'next thing' to evolve from this incremental improvement is having your cell phone be your primary PC via a docking station. It has been tried before but our overall usable mobile power is still not quite up to snuff. Maybe in 3 to 5 years.

There is a competing movement toward cloud computing. That relieves the hardware from having to be powerful but it requires a connection. We're too far behind the curve on nation-wide fast wireless access for the cloud to take over. In 3 to 5 years, maybe.

But I'm not seeing the signs of ubiquitous cheap wifi or cellular 4G while I am seeing the constant hardware improvements mentioned above. Our government COULD probably institute nationwide wifi in one year, if it was a priority, but the major cellular providers (AT&T, Verion, Sprint) would cry foul.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
yes, proper voice synthesis (or good enough sampling) and, more importantly, recognition, shall change the way we deal with computers in a most fundamental way.

Why virtual lame keyboards smearing the whole glossy screens with your greasing fingers when you can just talk? Why also try to read under bright sunlight when the smatphone can just read the messages for you?

The written word is doomed. It's but an accident from the past.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
The problem with voice control and activation is our generally noisy environment. I already dislike any cubical-neighbors who insist on using speaker phones whenever they answer their phone.
it's the same solution as is used for big phones: earphones with mikes.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
HAL: "Dave I am aware that you and frank were planning to disconnect me, Although you took precautions to avoid my hearing you in the pod I could see your lips move"
just be sure not to give them a conscience, just functional barely-intelligent voice recognition.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
The problem with voice control and activation is our generally noisy environment. I already dislike any cubical-neighbors who insist on using speaker phones whenever they answer their phone. I frequently get an urge to join their conversation and say inappropriate things. If more people start talking to their phones I may go postal.
Nah, just stand up and shout "end call" and "shutdown" as loud as you can
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
For phones, NFC and better batteries. And I'm even not perfectly sure about NFC. Well, and cameras of course.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
This is more of an infrastructure thing than just something built into a phone, but better integration with stores, etc. so that you can walk up to a vending machine or other point of sale and make a purchase with your phone rather than your wallet. Whatever you buy is charged to your mobile phone account. It's not a new thing and has existed in a few countries for many years.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I think voice interface will be greatly improved so that we'll be interacting with our phone through voice. A digital assistant to help me organize and find things will be nice.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 AM   #15
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
NFC could become very interesting; you can use your smartphone to identify yourself and make payments in shops, public transportation etc. The step forwards is the apps on the phone; you can see your history, what you paid when to who and why. Compare that to that stupid plastic card with chips on it that hold all kinds of information without you being able to view it.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote