Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you have the ability/skills to convert Amazon purchased books with calibre, then you should also have the ability to maintain your own backups.

So, if you've modified them to your own personal liking and prefer to read that version... then why not just delete the purchases you altered from your Amazon library (archive)?
Why on earth would I delete books which I have purchased from the purchaser? Even if I have the ability to convert the books, which I do, and I maintain backups of the converted files and the originals, which I do, that still does not justify deleting them from Amazon. I would in essence be screwing myself, what if something happened to my backups, I would then have to repurchase them to replenish my library. But thanks for the suggestion.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
what if something happened to my backups, I would then have to repurchase them to replenish my library.
Not only that but if there is an update that fixes an issue with the ebook you would have to repurchase the book to get it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm pretty sure that Amazon's synching mechanism works off the ASIN identifier that's inside the book - and neither removing the DRM nor changing the title alters that. This is illustrated by the fact that Amazon's servers will still show you the "popular highlights" in a book even after you've removed the DRM and changed the title.
I thought I read somewhere that when Calibre converts it to mobi, it adds a "fake" asin. I am in the process now of trying to get my "real" asin numbers back with the book, hopefully this will resolve my issue.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Just to follow up, I can confirm that calibre is recognizing the "plugboarded" books, so that must have been fixed. I am relieved.

And Nyn, apologies for the thread hijack.
No problem, you gave me food for thought to check this as well.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that when Calibre converts it to mobi, it adds a "fake" asin. I am in the process now of trying to get my "real" asin numbers back with the book, hopefully this will resolve my issue.
I think it might resolve your issue. From some fiddling I did a minute ago, it looks like books with matching ASINs are in sync in the archive list on the Kindle, regardless of anything that's been done to them.

I had noticed in the past that when I delete a book from the Kindle, sometimes I get a "permanent deletion" warning and sometimes I don't, but I never put any thought into it because I don't use the archive. No permanent deletion warning = ASIN match in the archive.

I only ran one somewhat conclusive test, but when I deleted a book that I knew had a matching ASIN, I got no warning, and the number displayed for the archive went up by 1 and the book now shows in the archive. (Edit to add: I cannot verify that it wasn't already there because my exuberance overrode my proper testing procedures, but I'm still thinking this will work.)

So it does look like having the correct ASINs will sync your archive properly. You may have to leave the wireless on for a while after re-adding those books, but it looks like it should work.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I think it might resolve your issue. From some fiddling I did a minute ago, it looks like books with matching ASINs are in sync in the archive list on the Kindle, regardless of anything that's been done to them.

I had noticed in the past that when I delete a book from the Kindle, sometimes I get a "permanent deletion" warning and sometimes I don't, but I never put any thought into it because I don't use the archive. No permanent deletion warning = ASIN match in the archive.

I only ran one somewhat conclusive test, but when I deleted a book that I knew had a matching ASIN, I got no warning, and the number displayed for the archive went up by 1 and the book now shows in the archive. (Edit to add: I cannot verify that it wasn't already there because my exuberance overrode my proper testing procedures, but I'm still thinking this will work.)

So it does look like having the correct ASINs will sync your archive properly. You may have to leave the wireless on for a while after re-adding those books, but it looks like it should work.
What settings are you using because this does not seem to have helped?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
What settings are you using because this does not seem to have helped?
Settings? Do you mean on Amazon? Since I only use one device for reading, I usually have whispersync turned off, with the end result being that all archive items are available via the K3, but the apps (K4PC, etc) only show books that were sent to them and then later removed. I did turn it on and sync, but it didn't seem to change anything here so I turned it off.

If you meant calibre settings, nothing special there in terms of Identifiers or "send to device" options except my series plugboards.

I just did a more thorough investigation. I made sure the wireless on the Kindle was on for a while before I did this, just to be sure.

I conveniently have a Reading List for "KFreebies" so I have a subset of books that I know are from Amazon and would be archived there. I went into calibre and drilled down until I had a list of books that:

a) Definitely came from Amazon (on that list)
b) Have an ASIN as the Amazon ID (ID # starting with B00)
c) Are currently on the Kindle

This gave me a subset of 33 books. None of those books show in the Archived Items on the Kindle. So it seems that this works, but perhaps not always?

I feel like there's something missing here. Like there's something that would keep it from working in some cases? I don't know.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that when Calibre converts it to mobi, it adds a "fake" asin.
Only if you convert from a different format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #24
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Calibre Mobi Files and Archives

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only if you convert from a different format.
What if you have an original non-DRM AZW on which you change the extension to MOBI and then convert that to an EPUB to edit it with Sigil then convert it back to a MOBI after editing?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote