Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #736
sholzan
sholzan began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
can you get it in usb mass storage device mode on your pc?

Nope. When connected to USB windows doesnt recognize anything until I press power+magic button.

Unless there is a special way to put it on mass storage that im not aware of..

ps: This PC im using to debrick has never been used with kindle while it was working.

Im starting to think this kindle is FUBAR..
Also, I think I can manage to install a linux distro on this pc if this could help debricking it.
sholzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #737
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholzan View Post
- - - -
Also, I think I can manage to install a linux distro on this pc if this could help debricking it.
No need to install a linux distro -
Just boot KUBRICK - which is a ram resident linux distro -
Then "escape" from the wizard to the linux command line (F4 - if I recall correctly).

All of our Kindle support tools are available from that command line.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #738
sholzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No need to install a linux distro -
Just boot KUBRICK - which is a ram resident linux distro -
Then "escape" from the wizard to the linux command line (F4 - if I recall correctly).

All of our Kindle support tools are available from that command line.

Duh..
This is way better.. heheh..

Any recomendations on 'tricky' commands I shoud try to figure if kindle is still "alive", and why its not loading on fastboot?

I do know a little bit of linux, but I'm far from you guys.

Also, I'm reading this topic again to see if anything pops out.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #739
sholzan

hmm..

looking at the lsusb IDs, I found the "Freescale Semiconductor, Inc" as: 15a2:0052

Think this shold be different while on fastboot, right?
Old 09-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #740
ajg1967
ajg1967 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Totally new to this and trying to sort out my kindle 3 which keeps freezing and rebooting. Booted up Kubrick on my windows 7 pc and everything seemed to work. After 2.5 hours got a message saying it had been flashed successfully but when I restart the kindle it still has all my books, wi-fi settings etc and still freezes and reboots.
Am I right in thinking that if it had been successfully flashed then all my settings and books would be gone? If so what am I doing wrong? I have tried twice now, the process taking about 2.5 hours each time with the same result.
ajg1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #741
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg1967 View Post
Totally new to this and trying to sort out my kindle 3 which keeps freezing and rebooting. Booted up Kubrick on my windows 7 pc and everything seemed to work. After 2.5 hours got a message saying it had been flashed successfully but when I restart the kindle it still has all my books, wi-fi settings etc and still freezes and reboots.
Am I right in thinking that if it had been successfully flashed then all my settings and books would be gone? If so what am I doing wrong? I have tried twice now, the process taking about 2.5 hours each time with the same result.
Sounds to me as if the de-brick was successful (both times).

Books and user settings are supposed to remain.
Those may be your problem.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083 Bullet #2

If you can access user storage over USB, start deleting things.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #742
sheich
sheich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Kindle Touch Boot Loop

Hi everyone!

My Kindle Touch has for a while now has been stuck in an infinite boot loop after I tried resetting it when it got very slow. It got stuck trying to reset everything and then when I tried to reboot it it constantly tries to erase my data, but fails and reboots, does exactly the same thing over and over again. I found Kubrick which is awesome and I might be able to unbrick my kindle, but I can't get it to charge. I left it for some time and the battery has completely discharged, and now when I plug it in the orange light comes on but i can leave it for hours and it won't turn on. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

-sheich
sheich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #743
knc1
Going Viral

Leave it on a wall charger for days, not hours.
- - - -
Don't trust the indicator light, it is under firmware control (as is the battery controller) and the firmware is not functioning correctly.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #744
sheich
sheich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
battery

Thank you for your response! So I assume that the kindle is still charging even after the orange light goes out? It recently went from the low power screen to the kindle frame with the boy and the tree. Is it getting there? Thanks again!

-sheich
sheich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #745
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheich View Post
Thank you for your response! So I assume that the kindle is still charging even after the orange light goes out? It recently went from the low power screen to the kindle frame with the boy and the tree. Is it getting there? Thanks again!

-sheich
Yup - its getting there.

My own personal record is 12 days for a (bought used) Kindle to wake up.
No idea why.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #746
zhujingling523
zhujingling523 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
My KT can't get diagnostics mode

Dear all,

I used the Kubrick and get to the "Diagnostics mode" page, according to the description, my KT will restart and display the items(N U Z X) to select, but my KT always display the tree page.

I used the method of fastboot, and after the kindle rebooted, it didn't display the page for select items too.

Can you help me, thanks!
zhujingling523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #747
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhujingling523 View Post
Dear all,

I used the Kubrick and get to the "Diagnostics mode" page, according to the description, my KT will restart and display the items(N U Z X) to select, but my KT always display the tree page.

I used the method of fastboot, and after the kindle rebooted, it didn't display the page for select items too.

Can you help me, thanks!
Similar issues have been reported a **very** few times in the past.

Can you give us the first four characters of your serial number and the (approximate) date it was purchased from Amazon please.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #748
zhujingling523

Quote:
Similar issues have been reported a **very** few times in the past.

Can you give us the first four characters of your serial number and the (approximate) date it was purchased from Amazon please.
Thank you so much, the first four characters are B011, and the purchased date is about March 2012.

I'm reading all the replies of this topic even my first language is not English. But i still hope i can get your help. Thanks!

Jason Zhu
Old 09-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #749
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhujingling523 View Post
Thank you so much, the first four characters are B011, and the purchased date is about March 2012.

I'm reading all the replies of this topic even my first language is not English. But i still hope i can get your help. Thanks!

Jason Zhu
I am not sure that the answer appears in this thread.

That would have been at a time when K5 where in very short supply.

What appears to have happened, was Amazon pulled devices from "internal use" and shipped them to customers.
Those units did not have the expected "diags mode" operating system on them. (Oops)

Since they are very rare, Kubrick is not designed to handle them.
(Although all the tools you will need are on the Kubrick LiveCD.)

- - - - -

OK - Memory failure at this point - someone else help out with the specific directions for this question.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #750
zhujingling523

Quote:
I am not sure that the answer appears in this thread.

That would have been at a time when K5 where in very short supply.

What appears to have happened, was Amazon pulled devices from "internal use" and shipped them to customers.
Those units did not have the expected "diags mode" operating system on them. (Oops)

Since they are very rare, Kubrick is not designed to handle them.
(Although all the tools you will need are on the Kubrick LiveCD.)

- - - - -

OK - Memory failure at this point - someone else help out with the specific directions for this question.
Thank you!
I'm so disappointed to hear that, this KT is very memorable for me.
I'm looking for the solution in so many related threads of mobileread, I hope some one who met the same issue can help me.

Jason Zhu