Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
When publishing goes wrong…

http://mandydegeit.wordpress.com/201...-undead-press/

Don't know how common this is, but I think she was daft to give away a story under those terms anyway. No money, no free book, and you can't do anything else with the story for a year. I bet it only sells to the other writers who are in it too.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Did anyone forward a copy to the SFWA and the other writers' guilds? This is the kind of thing everyone needs to know about, especially if they go around adding really glaring usage mistakes.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That horrible. I just posted on her blog and suggest she sue the bastads!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I doubt there's grounds for a lawsuit; "edit" has no nice universally accepted limits. If her contract didn't allow her final proof, she's probably out of luck.

If she were in Europe, she'd have some claim to moral rights, to have her name not associated with a work that's much different from (i.e. worse than) what she wrote. I don't think US has much in the way of laws about that. (OTOH, it might; Harlan Ellison got his named pulled from the Starlost and replaced with a pseudonym--Cordwainer Bird. But I've no idea what kind of approval agreements he had built into his contract.)

Probably the best results she can get is to speak loud and often about how they mangled her story, possibly following their announcements of new releases etc. on Twitter and using the same hashtags to say "don't buy from them" followed by a link to her article.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The author seems to be unaware of what the word "Edit" means. The spelling mistakes are inexcusable but the story changes... that's what editors DO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That horrible. I just posted on her blog and suggest she sue the bastads!
Sue on what grounds, Kenny? She signed a contract saying that the publisher could edit the story. They edited the story. I doubt that "liking" the edits was a clause in the contract. This is an excellent example of the necessity to be wary of what you sign. Throwing a public hissy-fit like this woman's done is hardly a professional response.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The author seems to be unaware of what the word "Edit" means. The spelling mistakes are inexcusable but the story changes... that's what editors DO.
Does the usual meaning of edit include adding chunks to the story? Not just rearranging, trimming etc., but adding new story elements? I don't think so.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Does the usual meaning of edit include adding chunks to the story? Not just rearranging, trimming etc., but adding new story elements? I don't think so.
I don't think there are any defined limits on what changes editors can or can't make. That's why it's important, as someone commented previously, that you make sure that your contract includes "approval" of the edited work.

I sympathise with this woman, but I think that:

1. She should have checked what rights she was signing away. It's often been said in the forum - and it can't be stressed too heavily - that you should ALWAYS get a publishing contract checked over by a lawyer before signing it.

2. A professional, business-like, conversation with the publisher would almost certainly have been more productive than a hysterical rant.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
2. A professional, business-like, conversation with the publisher would almost certainly have been more productive than a hysterical rant.
From reading the blog entry, she already tried that and got the answer. "STFU, we made your story better."
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

STFU?

Certainly doesn't sound like a very good deal for the author. No payment, no other distribution for the story for a year, not even a free copy of the book? Makes you wonder why anyone in their right mind would agree to such a thing!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
STFU?
"Shut the f* up."

Which is not literally what the publisher said, but very close. Some excerpts:
Quote:
wow, i truly cant believe that e,mail. you go girl. this one one hell of a story about dealing with unstable writers
we did what we had to do to make the story printable. you should be thankful, not complaining. ah, the ungrateful writer, gotta love it
any more correspondences from you must be from your lawyer. ... i dont waste my time arguing with writers over legalities. thats what lawyers are for.
you are so funny.
While I suspect her letter to the publisher wasn't as calm or reasonable as you (or I) would consider proper, I don't believe it warranted that kind of response.

Quote:
Certainly doesn't sound like a very good deal for the author. No payment, no other distribution for the story for a year, not even a free copy of the book? Makes you wonder why anyone in their right mind would agree to such a thing!
Before ebooks and POD, accepting such a contract for the advantage of getting in print at all was reasonable in some cases. Sort of. While a good author was better holding off for a paying deal, "I have been published, and not by paying for it myself" was a mark of some distinction, and useful on a resume and possibly a way to reach other publishers.

Of course, before POD, a publisher wouldn't be willing to take the financial risk of untried authors unless they (1) knew they had a great eye for talent and (2) had excellent editors on staff.

Excellent editors don't use apostrophes in verbs, and an eye for talent means not bothering with works you think are so bad they need extensive editing. And at no level of business is it reasonable to mock and insult the people providing you with what you want to sell.

However, she does have her rights back and can seek her own market for it, and if that's the level of editing they've done, I doubt the book will sell enough copies to impact her future career much.

I do think she should attempt to get her name removed from it and a pseudonym used instead--I know that some authors have managed that in the past, but I don't know if that's because of specific contract arrangements.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Excellent editors don't use apostrophes in verbs, and an eye for talent means not bothering with works you think are so bad they need extensive editing. And at no level of business is it reasonable to mock and insult the people providing you with what you want to sell.
I agree that they don't sound like a terribly reputable outfit. By the sound of it, it's more or less a "vanity press" kind of deal. But there's probably no legal comeback if she agreed to let them "edit" her story.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post

Andrew
Yes. I presume there are many interpretations of "edit" but from what I'm reading this was not editing, this was re-writing and poorly at that.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
I agree that they don't sound like a terribly reputable outfit. By the sound of it, it's more or less a "vanity press" kind of deal. But there's probably no legal comeback if she agreed to let them "edit" her story.
The "editor" in question doesn't seem that bothered about law ... not copyright law anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Reckoni.../dp/193545806X

"Follow Peter and Fran as they leave the home comforts of the mall and fly to destinations unknown. With the safety of the mall a thing of the past and Fran ready to give birth, we follow our heroes from Dawn of the Dead in the helicopter looking for a safe place to settle."
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Sue on what grounds, Kenny? ....
This is the U.S. Harry, the land of the lawsuit and home of the outraged.