Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #46
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Actually all dictionaries, most anyway, should be public domain since the actual information in them hardly varies.
Do you mean "should" as in "it would be beneficial if they were" or "they are likely to be"? Because compiling dictionaries is a lot of work, and most contemporary dictionaries are certainly not in the public domain.

Quote:
Furthermore, as in most other areas these days, there is so much freely available info on the internet
Yes, yes there is. But then again, this is something where I'd be glad to pay a little penny for some quality material. YMMV.

Quote:
that trying to copyright basic knowledge such as definitions, etymologies and translations of individual words seems not only antiquated but even immoral.
Immoral? You don't say.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #47
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
I copied and extracted as per instructions above to one subfolder:

freelang2txt.exe
English_Italian.wb
Italian_English.wb
converter.exe

But clicking on freelang2txt.exe brings no reaction at all.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #48
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The pre-installed Eng-German dictionary works great! I suspect it's going to take a while to get something equivalent for the languages I want (Italian-English or Italian-Italian and German-English), but it will be a fine thing when it happens. By the way, I suppose leaving the dictionary on uses a lot more battery energy, right?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:11 AM   #49
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
The pre-installed Eng-German dictionary works great! I suspect it's going to take a while to get something equivalent for the languages I want (Italian-English or Italian-Italian and German-English), but it will be a fine thing when it happens. By the way, I suppose leaving the dictionary on uses a lot more battery energy, right?
no, it doesn't
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #50
mdmorrissey
Addict

It occurs to me that I may not have asked the obvious question: Are there e-versions of commercial dictionaries that one can buy and install in PB 360? We have been talking in various threads about creating freeware dictionaries, but there is no reason to do this if there are commercial ones available. For example, this Barron's It-Eng dict offers a free electronic version with the paperback: http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-Italia.../dp/0764137646. It says: "FREE electronic dictionary for downloading on your PC and nearly all PDAs and smartphones." Would this work on the PB 360? Here's another one for "Windows Mobile" (whatever that is): http://download.cnet.com/BEIKS-Engli...n;overviewHead. Here's another advertised as an "ebook": http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/d...307432933.html. Here's one for the MobiPocket Reader (whatever that is): http://www.collinslanguage.com/shop/...obipocket.aspx.
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #51
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Just go here
http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/
Select the translate direction and XDXF as output.

The Converter from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67983

Select your XDXF file and select the source Language folder, pull both over the converter.exe and wait. Thats it.

BUT.....for source Languages DE, ENG, HEB, RUS, UKR only, are avail in the ZIP File.

At least that would be very handsome, to have the collates, keyboard, morphems for several languages. Then a lot of people could do their Dicts alone.
But I think they will offer the Dicts from the Lingvio edition as a seperate download, purchaseable
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #52
mdmorrissey
Addict

Ok, thanks, Schnitzelbrain, I'm trying it with the German-Eng first. I unzippped it and now have a 1.537 KB file called German-English Dictionary.dic. How do I install it in the PB360?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 AM   #53
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Just put it into the systems/dictionary folder on your pb. The Dictionary is accessable when u open the dictionary during reading and than via the dictionary popup menu.
To select it use in the open dictionary the little menu. Click the two reverse pointing arrows. Select and a popup let u choose the different dicts installed.

When u are not in a book an the dictionary is open, press and hold the upper large key. The again a popup gives u the chance for selection.

Last edited by Schnitzelbrain; 05-27-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #54
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Yes, there will be Lingvo dictionaries available for all kinds of languages. These dictionaries will be essentially two way.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #55
mdmorrissey
Addict

Fantastic! Thanks, Schnitzelbrain. It works like a charm. What a great tool! Is there a way to keep the dict open when you turn the page? Not necessary for me with German, but with a language I don't know well (like Italian) I would need it more often.

Now I'll try it with Italian.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #56
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

Hi,

great to hear that it worked. to your question, it will stay open when u use the large upper key for "next Page". The 4-way key is then for navigating inside the page.

hatte übrigens gerade gesehen das du auch im deutschen forum postest hatte deinen post hier aber zuerst gesehen.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #57
mdmorrissey
Addict

Italian dict in progress...
I unzipped DictionaryConverter-neu 171109.zip, which created a subfolder DictionaryConverter-neu 171109. In that folder were the subfolders de, eng, heb, rus, ukr, each with 3 .txt files: collates.txt, keyboard.txt, and morphems.txt.
Then I created another subfolder parallel to these called ital and copied the 3 .txt files in the eng folder to the ital folder.
Then I tried to run
converter.exe comn_sdict05_italian-english.tar.bz2 ital
but nothing happened.
I got the .bz2 file from Schnitzel's link above so I assume this is the xdxf file. I didn't know how to make the .txt files for Italian so I just copied the ones for eng. But as I say, nothing happens when I run the command above.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #58
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

Download 7zip, u have to unpack the .tar.bz2. Inside there is a .XDXF file.

For the three files look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67983
In the Konvertierungsanleitung is written how the three files are made. They have infos about the characters used in the source language. its needed that the on screen keyboard gives the possibility to select all the characters necesarry to build the word. so for italian u cant just take the english character files.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #59
mdmorrissey
Addict

Ja, ich habe mich auch im deutschen Forum gemeldet, dachte aber hier wäre effektiver...If you'd rather do this in the German forum, ok with me, though.
I didn't recognize .tar.bz2 as a zip file. This unzipped to .tar file, which is also a zip file, and this unzipped to dict.xdxf and icon16.png. I tried converter.exe dict.xdxf ital (with still the 3 .txt files in the subfolders copied from eng) but again, nothing happened. I don't understand how to make those .txt files.

Re keeping the dict up in PB, now it works! Apparently this does not work when in Adobe Reader, though, only in FBreader. Then it stays up fine, as you said! Great! I'm sure Italian is just a step away...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #60
mdmorrissey
Addict

@ Schnitzelbrain: Just to compare I extracted comn_sdict_axm05_ger_eng.tar.bz2 and got another dict.xdxf with 4973 KB. The dict.xdxf I got extracting the Italian .tar.bz2 is only 580 KB, so even if I could get it to work it probably wouldn't be any good.

Can anybody answer my question above about commercial dictionaries -- if they can be used in PB360:

http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-Italia.../dp/0764137646 ("FREE electronic dictionary for downloading on your PC and nearly all PDAs and smartphones.")
http://download.cnet.com/BEIKS-Engli...n;overviewHead (for "Windows Mobile") http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/d...307432933.html
http://www.collinslanguage.com/shop/...obipocket.aspx (for the MobiPocket Reader)

mTravellerh says above more Linvo dicts "will be" available...When?