Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Tenoch
Tenoch began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet
Question "Unnamed" Chapters in TOC (EPUB)

I downloaded Calibre in an attempt to fix a few of my eBooks that don't have a table of contents. All of my eBooks are in the "epub" format. I've been using the "Convert books" tool to convert epub to epub. Under the "Table of Contents" section I checked "Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents" and it recognizes all of the chapters and separates them accordingly. The only problem is that they're all called "Unnamed". Is there anyway to fix this. I've searched the forums but nothing helped. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tenoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
First off, don't convert ePub > ePub as it's a rather bad idea. Next, use the Table of Contents editor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Additionally, calibre is not really an eBook editor.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Tenoch

Okay, I won't convert epub to epub. This is probably a stupid question but where is Table of Contents editor? Do I tweak the book? Thanks for the quick response.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Tenoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Additionally, calibre is not really an eBook editor.
Do you have any suggestions for a good eBook editor?
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch View Post
Okay, I won't convert epub to epub. This is probably a stupid question but where is Table of Contents editor? Do I tweak the book? Thanks for the quick response.
Read the following two blog posts and then you should be good to go to edit your ToC.

http://blog.calibre-ebook.com/2013/0...r-e-books.html

http://blog.calibre-ebook.com/2013/0...e-toc-for.html
Old 10-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Tenoch

I've read the blog posts and have the Table of Contents editor up and running but for some reason now it's not recognizing chapters like it was when I was using the converter. When I click on generate ToC from major/all headings it says: ERROR: No items found: No items were found that could be added to the Table of Contents.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
DO an epub to epub conversion, then use the toc editor to manually rename the entries in the converted epub.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The "Generate ToC from major headings" function is looking for heading tags in the epub. It is looking for h1, h2 and h3 tags. With that error, it means the chapter headings in the epub are not defined by heading tags. This means the chapter titles in the epub are paragraphs with styles to make them stand out. In this case, you will probably need to use the "Generate ToC from XPath". When doing this, you need to define a pattern to match the chapters in the book. I'm not an expert on this, but there are help links from with the dialogs.

As to an epub editor: Sigil. It has a forum here which has links and discussion on using it. If I am right about the chapter headings, you should be able to do a Regex find and replace to change them to heading tags and then generate the TOC.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As to an epub editor: Sigil. It has a forum here which has links and discussion on using it. If I am right about the chapter headings, you should be able to do a Regex find and replace to change them to heading tags and then generate the TOC.
Using Sigil's ToC editor, you don't need to change the code for the ToC. You just add in each ToC entry. But if it's easy enough to use Regex to fix the ToC entries to be h2 then that's easiest.

But what I'd like to know is what is going on such that Calibre is generating ToC entries that say Unnamed when an ePub > ePub conversion is done.