Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Miira
Miira began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Is there a faster way to download metadata?

I have maybe 200 books that I got from places like ProjectGutenburg and the metadata, particularly the comments, is incorrect or unhelpful(I don't care when copyright expired, I want to know what the book is about). I've tried downloading individually and in bulk, but it still takes several minutes per book. Since this also has a high failure rate, and asks for confirmation after download, before updating, I have to babysit it. Is there any faster way to do this?
Miira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miira View Post
I have maybe 200 books that I got from places like ProjectGutenburg and the metadata, particularly the comments, is incorrect or unhelpful(I don't care when copyright expired, I want to know what the book is about). I've tried downloading individually and in bulk, but it still takes several minutes per book. Since this also has a high failure rate, and asks for confirmation after download, before updating, I have to babysit it. Is there any faster way to do this?
You get OUT what you put INTO it
Fast, as you found out, not very good.

Some tips: (Configure Metadata download button)
Reduce the number (source places) to your top sucess List (ones that return you like. Which ones depends on your Library contents). IMHO Set everything you can to be 'your way'

Set the Priority number for covers. You can select and OK as soon as you see a good one..No need to wait for all to show.

IMHO Work from the Edit Metadata (single mode) screen. Edit returned results as you go. Use Previous/Next to step to another title.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
MSOlsen
SSG (ret), US Army
MSOlsen began at the beginning.

Device: Adroid Tablet & Phone
Currious, how does one "Download metadata" in bulk?

I cannot seem to find that option in either the program or the user manual. If it is available, I would definitely like to give it a try as I manage both my own professional library (~1k books) and our family library (~1.5k books). So even if it got only 15% on target, that would be a significant improvement for myself.
MSOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSOlsen View Post
Currious, how does one "Download metadata" in bulk?

I cannot seem to find that option in either the program or the user manual. If it is available, I would definitely like to give it a try as I manage both my own professional library (~1k books) and our family library (~1.5k books). So even if it got only 15% on target, that would be a significant improvement for myself.
Select a bunch of Books (in the Library View), Right-click the Edit Metadata button.
I think you can take it from there
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
MSOlsen
SSG (ret), US Army

Thanks my friend. I was just about to say "Nevermind" as I stumbled on it in another forum. Boy did I feel silly. Guess I'm having a combined "Blond Day" and "Junior moment" (same as when you folk have a "senior moment")
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
MSOlsen
SSG (ret), US Army

Thumbs up

Yep, that is a VERY nice trick. Especially, for many of my text/technical reference books. I just got through about 25 books in the time it normally took to do 2 or 3.

Thanks again for the help theducks.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The downloaded / original Review Feature is available for a single book, if you type 'W' when the book is selected in the list, or use the context menu on either the book itself or on the Edit Button.

But it's not available from within the Edit Metadata dialogue

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-04-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote