Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
ruddell
Enthusiast
ruddell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Macs, Word, and making Kindle books

Okay, so I'm running a macbook pro with calibre installed as well as Fusion 2.0 with mobipocket creator on Vista. I've recently started copying text from several different websites which are setup like weekly blogs and creating a word document with TOC that I can convert to AZW for easy reading on my kindle. The problem is, I really hate having to load up Vista just to do this, since I haven't been able to find a way to do the conversion in Calibre. (I'm about ready to remove Fusion and Vista from my computer altogether - mobipocket is about the only windows program I use anymore).

Am I missing something, or is Calibre for Mac just not developed enough to handle Word conversions? Is there another program that would do the trick?

Thanks
ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Have you tried saving your Word files as HTML and importing that into Calibre? Word exports Goddessawful HTML code, but it should work in theory.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
ruddell
Enthusiast

yeah - i just tried that after i posted. TOC looks like crap though.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
ruddell
Enthusiast

I think I remember a post somewhere about a program that will save a webpage and the pages linked on that webpage, all in a kindle-ready format (or at least something that will convert easily in calibre). Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I believe Open Office runs on Mac, and it creates much nicer HTML than Word does.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I believe Open Office runs on Mac, and it creates much nicer HTML than Word does.
A cat having an epileptic fit on your keyboard creates nicer HTML than Word does...
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddell View Post
Okay, so I'm running a macbook pro with calibre installed as well as Fusion 2.0 with mobipocket creator on Vista. I've recently started copying text from several different websites which are setup like weekly blogs and creating a word document with TOC that I can convert to AZW for easy reading on my kindle. The problem is, I really hate having to load up Vista just to do this, since I haven't been able to find a way to do the conversion in Calibre. (I'm about ready to remove Fusion and Vista from my computer altogether - mobipocket is about the only windows program I use anymore).

Am I missing something, or is Calibre for Mac just not developed enough to handle Word conversions? Is there another program that would do the trick?

Thanks
I've never used this. It's just one of the links I've saved when I come across Kindle software.

eCub - a simple to use EPUB and MobiPocket ebook creator

Quote:
To summarize, this is what eCub does:

* Creates unencrypted EPUB files from text or XHTML files;
* Creates MobiPocket files if you have the mobigen application;
* allows editing of the text or XHTML files with a simple internal editor or designated external editors;
* helps you create a simple cover design image;
* optionally creates title, content and cover pages;
* can be run from the command line as part of a build script;
* can be used in portable mode (data and settings are stored locally);
* can convert your book content to audio files (WAV or MP3).

eCub does not do WYSIWYG or syntax-highlighted editing, and it currently only produces unencrypted EPUB and MobiPocket output. It's likely to be useful for simple projects, such as novels, where using an expensive tool such as Adobe's InDesign is overkill.

We're providing eCub free of charge, on Windows, Linux, Mac, FreeBSD and Solaris, for personal and commercial use. However, eCub is not an open source application.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Another option...

Have you tried Sigil? I just created a book for the Kindle by copying/pasting text from a website serial novel.

Once in Sigil, I did a little cleaning up, chapters, images, etc. and saved as an ePub. From there, I converted to .mobi in Calibre and it looks great. And I'm a beginner!

Sigil is great since it offers both WYSIWYG and code HTML code views. Check it out here on the forum.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Word HTML is just a mess, Open Office will create HTML 4.0 compliant code which should render/convert a lot nice (in theory).

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you could get a free WYSIWYG editor from download.com and play with the TOC until it looks good and converts well.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote