Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Review of iRiver Story e-book reader

The Kindle is not the only e-book reader with a full qwerty keyboard below the screen now. iRiver has come out with the Story e-book reader with built in 2GB memory and SD card slot. Register Hardware has a full review here.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11..._iriver_story/
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
The Kindle is not the only e-book reader with a full qwerty keyboard below the screen now. iRiver has come out with the Story e-book reader with built in 2GB memory and SD card slot. Register Hardware has a full review here.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11..._iriver_story/
Maybe it's just me, but are those two tiny arrows on the bottom right the only way to turn the pages? I sure HOPE not! I've completely fallen in love with the buttons on my K2 - they're much easier to use one-handed than the navigation button on the Cybook Gen3.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Skyflyer
Skyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enough

Device: iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but are those two tiny arrows on the bottom right the only way to turn the pages? I sure HOPE not! I've completely fallen in love with the buttons on my K2 - they're much easier to use one-handed than the navigation button on the Cybook Gen3.

Derek
You should be glad to know that the arrow buttons are not the only way to turn the pages. Not sure on how to explain it since English isn't my first language. To the left and to the right of the keyboard you should see horizontal lines. Above and below those lines are buttons to move to next or previous page. The buttons are part of the chassis design so they are hard to see.

I took a picture and drew a red rectangle over where the Next button is and a blue one where the Previous button is. There are buttons on the left side of the unit also for left handed people. You can view the picture here:
http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~skyflyer/pics/iriverStory1.png

While the navigation buttons on the sides are much easier to use than the arrow buttons on the keyboard I do wish they where placed higher up on the unit. If the buttons where closer to the middle of the reader and not at the bottom near the keyboard it would have been much easier to use just one hand. It is possible now to use only one hand but it harder to hold the unit at the bottom than it would have near the middle.
Skyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
They have keys like on the K2, on either side, just they're not really visible. You'll see some horizontal lines on either side of the keyboard. Those are where the buttons are.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflyer View Post
You should be glad to know that the arrow buttons are not the only way to turn the pages. Not sure on how to explain it since English isn't my first language. To the left and to the right of the keyboard you should see horizontal lines. Above and below those lines are buttons to move to next or previous page. The buttons are part of the chassis design so they are hard to see.

I took a picture and drew a red rectangle over where the Next button is and a blue one where the Previous button is. There are buttons on the left side of the unit also for left handed people. You can view the picture here:
http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~skyflyer/pics/iriverStory1.png

While the navigation buttons on the sides are much easier to use than the arrow buttons on the keyboard I do wish they where placed higher up on the unit. If the buttons where closer to the middle of the reader and not at the bottom near the keyboard it would have been much easier to use just one hand. It is possible now to use only one hand but it harder to hold the unit at the bottom than it would have near the middle.
Thanks! "...so they are hard to see," is a GONZO UNDERSTATEMENT!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
Actually with the latest firmware, you can program keys for foward and backward page turning under menu-setting-short key. I have programmed QW and OP on each side for mine for single handed page turning
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote