Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
arsingh1
Nameless Being

Which one to buy kobo touch or kindle (5) basic

Hi,
Greetings to all,
Please Excuse me if this question is repeated, but i couldn't find the answer thats why I'm posting.
I'm getting Kobo Touch here on India on ebay.in at 3737 INR or 62 USD but no warranty,
on the other hand Kindle Basic(Non Touch) is available @ 5600INR or 92USD, but It's with 1 year International warranty where as kobo has no warranty.
NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH is also an option available at 5200 INR or 87USD (But that's also without warranty)
I'm Confused Kindly advise .
Thanks

Last edited by arsingh1; 05-05-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsingh1 View Post
NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH is also an option available at 5200 INR or 87USD (But that's also without warranty)
I'm Confused Kindly advise .
If it's like the United States version of eBay, it depends on the seller. I took a quick look at eBay.in and saw a NEW Nook Simple Touch (Buy It Now) for 5,250 Rs (same as INR?), which does include a one year warranty (which is the manufacturer's warranty period, I believe).

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Nook-Simple-T...f279a94&_uhb=1

There is also a NEW Kobo Touch, with manufacturer's warranty, for 3,737 Rs ... (this may be the one you're talking about) ...

http://www.ebay.in/itm/KOBO-TOUCH-ER...02d47cd&_uhb=1

From their ad ... "Get authentic, genuine products with Manufacturer warranty ..."

(Be aware, however, that this seller's rating is 87.x% -- which would not be too encouraging the in the U.S.)

The Nook Simple Touch seller rating is good, 99.6%.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-06-2014 at 02:21 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
arsingh1
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If it's like the United States version of eBay, it depends on the seller. I took a quick look at eBay.in and saw a NEW Nook Simple Touch (Buy It Now) for 5,250 Rs (same as INR?), which does include a one year warranty (which is the manufacturer's warranty period, I believe).

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Nook-Simple-T...f279a94&_uhb=1

There is also a NEW Kobo Touch, with manufacturer's warranty, for 3,737 Rs ... (this may be the one you're talking about) ...

http://www.ebay.in/itm/KOBO-TOUCH-ER...02d47cd&_uhb=1

From their ad ... "Get authentic, genuine products with Manufacturer warranty ..."

(Be aware, however, that this seller's rating is 87.x% -- which would not be too encouraging the in the U.S.)

The Nook Simple Touch seller rating is good, 99.6%.
Manufacturer's warranty of nook and kobo is of no use in India, as they don't have their store or office here. So, practically Its without warranty.
Secondly I would like to Know Irrespective of warranty which one would you recommend considering the screen contrast and quality of the product .
Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Personally I would buy the Kindle basic. 1) because it has a Warrenty, 2) because the software is stable, the Kobo software can be a bit flaky, and 3) the screen of the basic is supposed to be very good, clear and crisp. Overall the extra money spent on the Kindle I think would be worth it.

I have a Kobo Aura myself and I do have a few pin holes in the screen and have occasionally freezing. In contrast my Kindle Paperwhite runs perfectly.

I wouldn't buy the Nook at all. Barnes and Noble as a company is in trouble and the Nook is quite an old product.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yes, Kindle Basic is an excellent e-reader. I absolutely adore mine, so much that I haven't felt the slightest urge to buy something more expensive. The screen and contrast are very good, it never freezes and I've not had a single problem with it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I wouldn't buy the Nook at all. Barnes and Noble as a company is in trouble and the Nook is quite an old product.
While I agree the Kindle Basic is a great eReader, I think a Nook Simple Touch is also a very good eReader. And it's basically the same "technological age" as the Kindle Basic (both originally from mid-2011) -- and the NST has more advanced features (touch screen, several fonts, microSD slot, better control over margins and line spacing and book covers (graphical display) -- as opposed to list view only).

But, since it appears, that Amazon does business in India, the Kindle Basic would probably be the best choice. I do think, hardware-wise, the Nook Simple Touch is a viable choice as an eReader -- leaving aside the online infrastructure, where Amazon is vastly superior.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsingh1 View Post
Secondly I would like to Know Irrespective of warranty which one would you recommend considering the screen contrast and quality of the product .
It's a little unfair to compare the Nook Simple Touch and Kindle Basic, as the NST is a touch screen eReader and Kindle Basic isn't. I don't know if you can find a Kindle Touch in India, but that was really what should be compared to the NST and Kobo Touch.

At any rate, I have the Kindle Basic and the Nook Simple Touch and I like them both. The Kindle Basic is thinner and lighter and has the darkest font, with a slightly whiter background (but they're both close). I do more reading on the Kindle Basic now because most of my books are bought from Amazon. I love the "Send to Kindle" feature, use that a lot. Mostly I just read -- making very few notes or highlights, so the lack of a touch screen (with touch keyboard) is negligible. The Nook Simple Touch has more features. A touch screen. Easier to use page turn keys (or just touch the screen). More fonts. A microSD slot (which I've never yet used). Better control over line spacing and margins and a graphical cover display. It is wider and thicker and slightly heavier (with a "rubberized" case), which actually makes it a bit more comfortable to hold (though I have cases on both the Kindle and NST). The Kindle Basic's bezel shows finger prints easier (but they're not hard to clean) but the NST (since it used the infrared touch screen) has a more inset screen, which makes it a little harder to keep clean. One advantage of the non-touch screen in the Kindle Basic is that if you get dust on the screen, you wipe it off without turning the page. Hardware-wise, I don't think you would go wrong with either one. But (unless I'm wrong) Barnes & Noble infrastructure is non-existent in India (and poorer in the U.S.), whereas Amazon has some great online features.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I would go for the Kindle Basic.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote