Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Remapped Kindle keys by mistake- Help!?

My friend has just BBM'ed me with a HELP!

She has, some how, managed to remap her page forward button to 'Search'.

She doesn't know how or what she has done so she has turned to me.

Can anyone help? (I've turned to you)

Thank you
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
My friend has just BBM'ed me with a HELP!

She has, some how, managed to remap her page forward button to 'Search'.

She doesn't know how or what she has done so she has turned to me.

Can anyone help? (I've turned to you)

Thank you
There is not a "search" button on the kindles. Typing anything at the home screen will start a search box. But to be of assistance, we need more information:

What kindle model? Is it jailbroken? What hacks were installed? Keyboard remapping is not built-in, so it requires a hack.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-22-2012 at 05:53 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle is small one with keyboard, think that's 3.

Not hacked.
Not Jailbroken.

It just happened and she doesn't know if she pressed something or it's broken

I know she isn't happy with it...she is a big reader.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pressing a letter key would open a search box. Is it possible that she is accidentally pressing another key when she presses the "page forward" button? Perhaps part of her hand is resting on some keyboard buttons while she holds her kindle.

Does the OTHER page forward button work correctly?

Ask her to carefully press ONLY the page forward button. Ask her to try the OTHER page forward button as well (test both left-side and right-side buttons).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-22-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Or that one (or more) other key is simply stuck? What appears in the search box? Is it always the same thing? Just the search box, empty?

Also, because we kinda have to say it: Have you tried turning it off and on again? (On a Kindle: [HOME] > [Menu] > Settings > [MENU] > Restart)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-22-2012 at 06:20 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Or that one (or more) other key is simply stuck? What appears in the search box? Is it always the same thing? Just the search box, empty?
I was thinking about adding "stuck key" to the list above, but it seems unlikely that would cause the "next page" key to cause a (stuck key) keycode release event, and elastomeric keys usually do not get "stuck" due to their simple construction.

If a sugary beverage had ever been spilled on the keyboard, that could cause intermittent problems because after the sugar dries its conductivity is sensitive to any moisture it absorbs from the air (humidity sensitive, so more problematic in the summer).

In the rare event that an elastomeric key fails, it is usually caused by a "collapse" (physical damage from excessive pressure held over a long time period, such as a book pressing on keys during storage).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-22-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

I've asked her what she did and she dropped it.

I will mention the restart option to see if that solves it and too check if any keys are stuck.

Thanks for these pointers.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
I've asked her what she did and she dropped it.

I will mention the restart option to see if that solves it and too check if any keys are stuck.

Thanks for these pointers.
Modern lead-free (RoHS) solder joints can crack or separate from shock or vibration. It could possibly have a hardware problem that could cause this symptom. If it is a "stuck key" caused by shifted components in the keyboard mechanism, disassembly and reassembly may fix it. It may be worth a call to amazon kindle support.