Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
FranTer
FranTer began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 912
How do I change the reading fonts in PB 912?

Hello, have managed to change fonts on the device (menus) using the available fonts, and the size of the font in the reader. But although the font in the menus has changed the reader keep on using the same font, and I can't see any way to change the font in the readers little square menu.

The original font was OK for me, but having lent the 912 to my parents I notice that they don't use it, because when increasing the original font size it's still less readable than smaller print on paper!!! A very bad choice of font then, as readers ought to be perfect for persons with not so good sight. Having been told so by my parents I do notice that the big letters don't get more readable than the small ones.

So how do I change the reading fonts in PB 912?
FranTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
hakim
Connoisseur
hakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmos

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840, Sony PRS-505
Have you checked Tips and tricks for PocketBook? Point 1 says:
Quote:
You can install your own fonts on the device. Just connect the device to the PC using supplied USB cable. Copy your fonts to the [Letter]:\system\fonts\ directory
You have to change folder options to see the system folder (File->Folder Options->View tab->uncheck hide protected operating system files) in windows.
hakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
FranTer

Of course!

Of course that I looked through Tips and Tricks!

I don't want new fonts, at least not now, I just want that when I change fonts for the Pocketbook the fonts also get changed in the reader, the book. As I said the fonts get changed in the menu of the Pocketbook, but for the reader, the book, the font stays the same.

When I change fonts and try to open the book that was read, the timeglass opens for several minutes, but the book never opens. When I try to open the same book again after the timeglass has disappeared, it doesn't open, and when I open another book it's still in the same old font.

So how do I change fonts in the reader, the book?

Although it may seem that I'm not thankful for your answer, I am as it proved that my question needed additional information.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I think it depends on which app you are using to read with. Some won't override fonts embedded in epubs, others will. Try installing coolreader; I'm pretty sure it allows you to choose another font, even if an embedded font is provided. Otherwise, you'll probably have to open and edit the CSS inside the epub to change which font is used.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
FranTer

The problem is with the Adobe Reader

I played around with the 912 and came to the Task List, where I noticed that all the books were opened with Adobe Reader.

I remembered to have read that there should be another reader on the 912, looked which formats Adobe Reader supported and downloaded a book in the FB2 format (not supported by Adobe Reader but supported by the 912).

The difference was immediate, although the book was heavily illustrated (14MB) it got up in a few seconds, where Adobe Reader would battle for a much longer time.
Getting up the menu in the reader showed a new item - Settings, which brings up the FBreader settings were I could choose between the fonts in the system.
All is easily readable for my parents now.

I have read that one should be able to choose which reader the 912 would use for each format, but I haven't seen this possibility anywhere. Was this for an old Firmware or for another Pocketbook device?

Can't the Adobe Reader be configured to use other fonts with EPUB? There are other Adobe fonts installed on the 912.

So thank you for suggesting CoolReader as it made me think about the fact that the 912 has at least 2 readers as standard. I had read an advice to use EPUB so I had downloaded only in the EPUB format, and EPUB is normally opened by Adobe Reader which can't use other fonts or at least I don't know how to. I had also tested the other suggestion by trying "calibre" but I found no way to change the standard font inside an EPUB file, I don't know if it's possible or not. Having thought about it, it seems as a strange idea for me, an e-book format ought to be flexible with fonts and use the best font for the device and the user, but there are always possible surprises.
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
If you hold down the OK button when opening a book in the library, you will get a menu with various items. One is "Open with", which allows you to choose which of multiple apps should be used to open the book. Next time you open the same book, then the last one you chose will be used to open it. By default, AdobeViewer.app will be picked over fbreader.app when opening new EPUB books. You can change this by creating your own /system/config/extensions.cfg file and overriding the entry for EPUB books. For example:

Code:
epub:@EPUB_file:1:fbreader.app,AdobeViewer.app:ICON_EPUB
would make fbreader the default application for EPUB books.

If you search for extensions.cfg in this forum, I'm sure you'll see many past posts describing how this file can be used. It used to be a hot topic when 3rd party applications were more popular in the past.

As far as overriding the CSS in an EPUB goes, I'm not an expert in that area. I was just saying what I had read in past posts here. I don't know why some applications don't allow the CSS in a book to be overridden, but I'm sure there was some reason for it.

Last edited by rkomar; 12-22-2014 at 05:51 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote