Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
CuriousJay
CuriousJay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon OK with jailbreaking?

I've searched the forums (and Google'd the crap out of it) but I can't find the original link I stumbled upon some months ago. I recall reading that Amazon was OK with users jailbreaking their devices to add screensavers and such. Is this true? Does anyone have a definitive link to share?

Thanks so much!
CuriousJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't think they are "okay" with it but they haven't made an issue of it. Jailbreaking and hacking is something one must do with caution since it might invalidate the warranty. This is true for all ebook readers, not just the Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
check the Kindle Developer's section up at the top of this page
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, really considering the main objection to it (from companies) is that it enables piracy. Something that basically is already possible because it already will read non-DRMed Mobi file.

OTOH, now they've started releasing apps for it, maybe they will
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, CuriousJay.

Take a moment and use the 'introduce yourself' link below to be welcomed...

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
I think Amazon posted this in an announcement in the kindle forum. It looks like the announcements are posted by "The Amazon Kindle Team". I can't seem to find a way to search for posts by one user, but there must be a way because I've seen people say to certain users things like, "Why do you say you hate kindle when 2 months ago you posted that you loved it?"
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
I can't seem to find a way to search for posts by one user, but there must be a way because I've seen people say to certain users things like, "Why do you say you hate kindle when 2 months ago you posted that you loved it?"
Click on a person's name in a thread and you get an option to "Find more posts by username"
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I don't think that Amazon is OK with hacking the Kindle - here is a quote from their Terms, warranties and Notices page:
Quote:
No Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, Disassembly, or Circumvention. You may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Kindle or the Software, whether in whole or in part, create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Kindle or Software or any mechanisms operatively linked to the Software, for example, by augmenting or substituting any digital rights management functionality of the Kindle or Software.
To me that says they certainly don't want anyone modifying the software to allow the screensaver or font hacks.

None the less, I, and many others, have applied the jailbreak and at least one of the hacks, and the Amazon "powers that be" would have to be totally blind as well as stupid to not be aware of the various hacks available for the Kindle. As daffy4you stated, they haven't made an issue of this nor has anyone been arrested for using or programming the hacks, at least not that I am aware of.

Their newest firmware for the Kindle 3, 3.0.3, has prevented the ability to apply the "old" jailbreak and hacks, but does nothing if the jailbreak and hacks were already installed, and I bet our jailbreak gurus have already figured out how to circumvent Amazon's latest attempt to secure their software and keep it "unhackable."

Of course, adding your own screensavers or choosing a preferred font isn't the same as "stealing" and modifying the entire Kindle OS for use with another device, for example, so I don't see why Amazon would feel bound to prosecute someone for it, or decide not to give warranty service. Even Microsoft and Apple allow their end-users to personalize their computers! At some point I should think that Amazon will change their OS so that users can add screensavers and fonts without having to use a jailbreak.

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 12-07-2010 at 12:56 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Click on a person's name in a thread and you get an option to "Find more posts by username"
Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing this - not for the official Amazon account, nor for other posters. I went to this thread started by Amazon, and both when I click on "The Amazon Kindle Team" and also when I click on "Family Kindle" (the second poster) I don't see an option to see other posts.

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/for...ype=tagsDetail
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon's EULA is incorrect and not actually legal. In the USA, as of July 26, 2010, it is legal to jailbreak.

http://tysiphonehelp.com/?p=972
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing this - not for the official Amazon account, nor for other posters. I went to this thread started by Amazon, and both when I click on "The Amazon Kindle Team" and also when I click on "Family Kindle" (the second poster) I don't see an option to see other posts.

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/for...ype=tagsDetail
Ha Ha Sorry My Bad!

Totally misread that. I thought you wanted to know how to do that here in this forum - I must be going blind - either that or I read too fast and skip the important stuff!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
They haven't gone after the jail breakers. That's not the same as being okay with it.

Very few people do it, so making a big deal about it will only draw attention to the practice.

It's not the same as say the playstation, where modding allows people to play pirated games. Since book piracy is possible with or without jail breaking the kindle, there is little economic incentive for amazon to crack down on it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon's EULA is incorrect and not actually legal. In the USA, as of July 26, 2010, it is legal to jailbreak.

That link seems to be iWhatever specific. On a little further investigation, I found this (I'm not going to go that deep into it ).

Quote:
In addition to jailbreaking, other exemptions announced Monday would:

* allow owners of used cell phones to break access controls on their phones in order to switch wireless carriers.
* allow people to break technical protections on video games to investigate or correct security flaws.
* allow college professors, film students and documentary filmmakers to break copy-protection measures on DVDs so they can embed clips for educational purposes, criticism, commentary and noncommercial videos.
* allow computer owners to bypass the need for external security devices called dongles if the dongle no longer works and cannot be replaced.
* allow blind people to break locks on electronic books so that they can use them with read-aloud software and similar aides.

<snip>

Jennifer Stisa Granick, EFF's civil liberties director, said the rules are based on an important principle: Consumers should be allowed to use and modify the devices that they purchase the way they want. "If you bought it, you own it," she said.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That link seems to be iWhatever specific. On a little further investigation, I found this (I'm not going to go that deep into it ).
The new law does seem to be about Apple products, cell phones, DVD's and video games; hopefully it applies to eReaders as well; at least it sets a precedent. This quote from the link daffy4u gave us probably is where Amazon stands as well:

Quote:
The new government rules, however, won't stop Apple from continuing its practice of disabling jailbroken phones with software upgrades. That means owners of such phones might not be able to take advantage of software improvements, and they still run the risk of voiding their warranty. All the new rules do is exempt the user from legal liability — something Apple does not appear to be pursuing anyway.
Anyway, I don't think we need to worry about having a "jailbroken" Kindle or for programming a hack; surely Amazon has more important things to worry about than people installing their own screensavers or fonts!

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 12-09-2010 at 12:29 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What about providing a marketplace for programers to sell their kindle add ins.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote