Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #61
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
I got my wife a Nook for Valentine day and then I had toget for me and give up bu Book by Augen
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #62
mmw1161
mmw1161 began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
Do you still need help getting books onto your nook?
mmw1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #63
mollyjp
mollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watch

Device: Nook Color
I just got my Nook Color last weekend as a belated Valentine's Day gift from my hubby and I am loving it! after doing research I had decided on the Nook with e-ink but when we got to the store to buy it I changed my mind and went with the color version. I found that the classic Nook was not at all intuitive....I had trouble figuring out how to navigate it. The Nook color, however, was a breeze to use....perhaps because it navigates so much like my ipod touch? Anyway, I went with the color (and a fabulous hot pink cover!) and have been thrilled with it so far. Downloading books is super-easy and I love having it with me all the time so I can read while waiting in the car line to pick my son up from school. It is also great at night because I can read without worrying about waking up my one year old son (he has epilepsy and has to sleep with us until we get his seizures under control).
mollyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #64
Dave.h.md
Dave.h.md began at the beginning.

i bought one for my wife and one for me, at the same time, and boy am i glad that i didnt wait and see to get the second one. My wife reads dutch books to help with learning the language it is awsome for her to have the web right there to look up unknown words. now the copy paste options suck since they dont exist out side of book notes. As for my self, before i put one book on to my nc i searched for an ebook manager and found calibre, and it rocks! a bit of a learning curve for a few custom options but over all really neat. maybe one day the nc will even be able to show metadata from calibre for non-bn books. these machines have greatly changed for the better our reading habits, now to find a solar charger for my nook color, and i will have everything i want...
Dave.h.md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #65
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
I got my NookColor in late January just after my financial aid "refund" came in. I had a PRS-300 previously, but my eyes are light-sensitive and e-Ink while lovely is nearly impossible to read in low light and I couldn't find a book light that worked well enough for me. So I did my research, decided on the NookColor, and gifted the PRS-300 to a friend. I have to say, I love the NookC, especially now I've got it rooted thanks to help from all the lovely people here. I've been reading more than ever, and have even used the Nook for some of my classes. The NookC is just perfect for me. Best investment I've made in a while.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #66
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I've been around these forums for awhile as a Kindle owner who also reads books on his Android phone, but last week I was unable to resist the Nook Color "sale" on ebay! I received my Nook Color today, and already took it on a test drive, including a trip to Barnes & Noble, this evening!

Despite accounts I've heard from some quarters, my Nook Color is brand new and in perfect shape. It also hooked up to wifi, both my home network and the B&N wifi, perfectly without a hitch. Also, the video I've been using with my iPad worked perfectly, which was important to me since I will primarily use my NC as an entertainment device while traveling (I love the iPad, but it is awfully expensive to drag around traveling, and too big to easily tote around on my person while traveling, whereas the NC will fit in the larger photo pockets on my photo vest easily. I'd heard complaints from some of problems getting video to work on the NC, so this was a relief!

I'm overall quite pleased with it, though two complaints worth mentioning are 1) the internet browser is mediocre, in particular the pinch/zoom is rickety and there isn't an easily accessible back key from the bottom of a long web page, and 2) The volume buttons are positioned about as awkwardly as possible for someone who likes to hold the bare NC in landscape mode! I invariably hit them at inconvenient moments and create a distracting popup explaining how I'm adjusting the volume.

I got an acceptable sleeve at the B&N store to hold the NC while being stored or during travel.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #67
connielamountain
connielamountain began at the beginning.

how do i connect to wifi
connielamountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #68
blackjackdelta1
blackjackdelta1 began at the beginning.

Device: classic nook
My daugther got a classic nook June 2010 and now is on her 3rd one and the reason I am here is that she always brings it to me when someting goes wrong so I am here to learn how she screwed things up.

Jack
blackjackdelta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #69
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
I have the answer and cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by red11523 View Post
Hello all, I'm a new Nook user. Attempted to download a PDF E-Book from my Library. Received it OK, except it is ACSM not PDF. It will not show on the Nook. Does anyone have a cure for this??
It is with you computer. If you are an XP goes to tools and choose

the ACSM file and set as treat as an EPUB file and thank will fix the problem

Jim
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #70
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I got a Nook classic last Wednesday and I love it! Besides something going really wrong with the first one (the screen broke) I have no complaints. I took the broke one back and B&N took care of it with no problems. The new one works fine and I have sideloaded some books. I've also dowloaded some books from B&N.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #71
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
i got a nook color yesterday. I am also a Kindle user. I have no complaints yet, but it will take some getting used to. When you have used one device for 2 years it is hard to get used to something else, but I will.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #72
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by busy91 View Post
i got a nook color yesterday. I am also a Kindle user. I have no complaints yet, but it will take some getting used to. When you have used one device for 2 years it is hard to get used to something else, but I will.
enjoy it's a fantastic device.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #73
Canondale61
Canondale61 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I have a many books in secure microsoft format and mobi format how do you change these into a format that the nook color will use
Canondale61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #74
bullet
Rookie Mucker
bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 7. Moto G, Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Linux PCs
I got my Nook Classic at Best Buy 2 weeks ago. It was supposed to come with a Sharper Image power pack of some sort, but they were out of stock nationally and had just taken it off their website. Yesterday the manager at Best Buy gave me a $30 credit since it was still out of stock. I happily accepted since I just hated to turn down a freebie. Kudos to Best Buy. Everyone always seems to complain about them. I was treated more than fairly.

The Nook works great for downloading epub files from the Montana library system. I am using Calibre and Overdrive on Ubuntu 10.10 (wine) and Windows 7 when necessary (DRM stuff). I like the fact that the Classic is a simple dedicated device. Only have to recharge every 4 or 5 days.

I found (and joined ) this forum when trying to decide which ereader to purchase. This forum and the sales person convinced me to go with the Nook. The Sony is nice but too expensive. I am a big Amazon customer but strongly disapprove of the ebook business model ala Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. So the Kindles were out of consideration. There is room for them (Amazon, M$, and Apple) since we have alternatives without them.

This forum was helpful in making my decision and I thank you all. I have also enjoyed reading the various threads here. There are some real experts as well as a few loonies here. It is interesting to read from both.
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #75
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
I got my Nook Classic at Best Buy 2 weeks ago. It was supposed to come with a Sharper Image power pack of some sort, but they were out of stock nationally and had just taken it off their website. Yesterday the manager at Best Buy gave me a $30 credit since it was still out of stock. I happily accepted since I just hated to turn down a freebie. Kudos to Best Buy. Everyone always seems to complain about them. I was treated more than fairly.

The Nook works great for downloading epub files from the Montana library system. I am using Calibre and Overdrive on Ubuntu 10.10 (wine) and Windows 7 when necessary (DRM stuff). I like the fact that the Classic is a simple dedicated device. Only have to recharge every 4 or 5 days.

I found (and joined ) this forum when trying to decide which ereader to purchase. This forum and the sales person convinced me to go with the Nook. The Sony is nice but too expensive. I am a big Amazon customer but strongly disapprove of the ebook business model ala Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. So the Kindles were out of consideration. There is room for them (Amazon, M$, and Apple) since we have alternatives without them.

This forum was helpful in making my decision and I thank you all. I have also enjoyed reading the various threads here. There are some real experts as well as a few loonies here. It is interesting to read from both.
I'm glad you like your Nook. It is a great e-reader. The Sony Readers are great but they do cost a lot. I stayed away from the Kindle for the same reasons as you. So the Nook and the Sony were my primary choices.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote