Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #121
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Apperantly Kindle Publishing Guidelines mentioned the option since 2011 in building dictionary chapter.

Anyway Doitsu biiig thaaaanks for the info.
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #122
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Yeah. This find will solve SO MANY of my problems.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #123
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have now added the don't add source option to my Kindlegen Applescript Wrapper and I've noted in the first page of this thread that KindleStrip is now unnecessary.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #124
AaronShep
Connoisseur
AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad
Paul, I would like to make a case for KindleStrip still being very much needed. I understand that we can now omit source files when creating MOBI files with Kindlegen, but this takes care of only one possible workflow. Many of us create our MOBI files by opening the source files in the Kindle Previewer, which does not give us the same option. We need KindleStrip to remove source files after creation.

The same goes for users of Kindle Comic Creator, which uses Kindlegen behind the scenes. Use of this program means you're sending to Amazon KDP a MOBI file created on the desktop. But if the resulting file is over 50 MB, it cannot be submitted to Amazon KDP at all! In that case, the only practical way to bring it under the limit is with KindleStrip. Without it, many KCC users will be simply stuck.

Another use of KindleStrip is to remove source files from previews downloaded from Amazon KDP. I do this regularly to produce smaller files to send by email to reviewers and such. The smaller files are both a convenience and a courtesy, and there is no other way to produce them. Files produced with Kindlegen on the desktop do not contain all the navigation features found in those converted at Amazon KDP.

So, I'm hoping you'll reconsider and keep up development of KindleStrip. I give it a strong recommendation in my book "Pictures on Kindle," and I'd love to keep recommending it in that book's future revisions.
AaronShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #125
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Aaron!

I find the Kindle Previewer argument very poor. It would be much better to using Kindlegen in this case and so get a guaranteed good file.

However, your other suggested uses seem valid. I'll adjust the first post here appropriately.
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #126
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Now updated the first post with Kevin's 1.36 and updated the AppleScript to 1.36 as well.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:13 AM   #127
AaronShep
Connoisseur
AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks very much, Paul! For this and the updated KindleUnpack AppleScript too. I'd hate to have to get along without either one of them.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #128
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I found a bug in version 1.35—in the stripped version, one of the images later in my book gets replaced by the cover image. Very strangely, if I take that malfunctioning stripped version and use KindleUnpack, both the mobi7 and azw file that are produced go back to showing the correct image in that location.

I downloaded version 1.36 just now to see if it fixes the error, and I cannot get 1.36 to produce any output. (OS X Mavericks.) I turned off GateKeeper and if I launch the script by double-clicking it, it will pop up the window that says I have to drag a mobi file on the icon. But if I drag a mobi file on the icon, it launches, the black&white cursor wheel spins for one second, and then the app quits with no result.
Peter Ahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #129
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ahlstrom View Post
Okay, I found a bug in version 1.35—in the stripped version, one of the images later in my book gets replaced by the cover image. Very strangely, if I take that malfunctioning stripped version and use KindleUnpack, both the mobi7 and azw file that are produced go back to showing the correct image in that location.

I downloaded version 1.36 just now to see if it fixes the error, and I cannot get 1.36 to produce any output. (OS X Mavericks.) I turned off GateKeeper and if I launch the script by double-clicking it, it will pop up the window that says I have to drag a mobi file on the icon. But if I drag a mobi file on the icon, it launches, the black&white cursor wheel spins for one second, and then the app quits with no result.
Hmm... I don't know. I see if I can reproduce it.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #130
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can send you the epub it happened to me with privately, if you like, but I can't attach it here.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #131
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The problem with the script may be a Mavericks permissions problem. I think there's an option in the preferences to allow programs from 'anywhere' to run that needs to be set.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #132
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur

The script does run though, if I double-click it. It's only if I drag a mobi file over the icon that it runs but doesn't produce any output.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:52 AM   #133
AaronShep
Connoisseur

This is funny. I got the same failure as Peter with 1.36 on Snow Leopard, but I assumed it was because it would work only on later versions of OS X. I didn't report it, because I didn't figure anyone cared whether it worked on Snow Leopard. I figured I'd just use 1.35 till I update!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #134
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Hmm.... I'll see if I can get some time this weekend to take another look.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 AM   #135
steppe
Enthusiast
steppe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (broke), Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
Apperantly Kindle Publishing Guidelines mentioned the option since 2011 in building dictionary chapter.

Anyway Doitsu biiig thaaaanks for the info.
Yes, indeed, I just tested the -dont_append_source parameter in KindleGen 1.2, and it works fine.
steppe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools, mobi2mobi