Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #46
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I'll give them another try (didn't like US address long ago .. had another UK site, had to have a cousin in London purchase and then mail it to me (physical object, obviously).

Now to try to figure out how much it costs in "real money!" (<G>) Especially after paying conversion fee on the currency.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #47
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I paid via my visa backed bank debit card, and $1.32 is what it showed up as on my bank statement. When it is that cheap, how can you really say no?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #48
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK - creating an account cleared my basket, so there was nothing to purchase (and their address info lacks fields for the US that would be required, were they to actually use it for something, such as verifying a credit card). Also, can't believe they ask for birthdate (with year) as a "we'd like this for marketing" question; guess identity theft isn't an issue in the UK (here, storing that info means you must do a lot more to protect the information from accidental exposure and can, in some states, incur huge costs just in notification in case there was even a chance someone might have been given access to a db with that info).

Fixed cart, when to checkout - no paypal.

So, no book..... back to original question: Is there a US release planned?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #49
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Fixed cart, when to checkout - no paypal.
If you have a credit card, can't you just use that instead of through PayPal? I'm sorry, and not trying to be bothersome, but I'm a bit puzzled why you should have problems with buying from Waterstone's - there doesn't seem to be anything odd or unusual about their buying process.

Last edited by Ea; 08-07-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #50
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like I said, you have to specify that you're not in the UK, which is a small link at the bottom of the address form. Then you'll get one that is US friendly. The only difference is it says "County" where you should put your state.

She probably wants to use paypal, since it is a bit easier when making international payments. Some places hold on running the charges, until the exchange rate is more favorable. Not only that, some people are weirdly loyal to paypal for some reason, despite paypal being way not so loyal to their customers.

Last edited by Hellmark; 08-07-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #51
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I've also had a problem in the past with a stolen credit card number on an international sale - major pain to cancel and re-issue (not with CC company, with other pending/recurring charges). And CC companies don't always give best exchange rates - no to mention that paypal doesn't necessarily use a credit card. Give the companies lax views of privacy info (asking for birthdates), it isn't one I want to give CC info to.

I'd use revolution money exchange, but they don't take that either.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #52
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i can't remember exactly, but wasn't the date of birth an optional field ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #53
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Having read this I have to say I chuckled most of the way through it, and now have this image fixed in my mind involving a Blue wet suit.

A very amusing and original read, I look forward to the rest in the series

But in the meantime I must re read the Fariey stories
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #54
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I couldn't even download the book, because I wasn't running a machine capable of running Adobe Digital Editions (because, it didn't have Windows.
So does that mean I can't buy this book because I don't use Windows? (Or rather, I can pay for it, but I can't receive it?)

I know Uncle Bill thinks he rules the world, but I it's getting a bit much when he starts censoring my reading material . . .
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #55
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank, that a good deal.

Now I got to make an account with Waterstones.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #56
Hellmark
Wizard

Mediax, you can buy the book, you just can't download it, unless you have Windows or OSX. If you're a fellow linux user, after some poking around, I've seen reports ADE will run within Wine, but I've not had any first hand experience with such.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #57
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Mediax, you can buy the book, you just can't download it, unless you have Windows or OSX. If you're a fellow linux user, after some poking around, I've seen reports ADE will run within Wine, but I've not had any first hand experience with such.

I'm running Linux, Ubuntu 9.04 and ADE through Wine. No problems this end at all buying the book, although I had to run the de-DRM scripts through wine as well. Something about specific windows calls in the python scripts.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #58
HarryPigg
Alleged Writer
HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to all for buying the book and for the support, I hope you've enjoyed it. If anyone has any feedback to offer, I'd love to hear from you.

mtravellerh, I've pm'd you about the editing/spelling as I'm curious as to what fell through after spellchecking, proof reading etc. If you have the time, I'd be grateful for some details.

Thanks again
HarryPigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #59
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
Hi Bob
I boiught this book from Waterstones yesteday for 40p ( I had some money back things form my card!) It made me chuckle out loud, although I did think about roger Rabbit quite a few times whilst reading.
Yes, I also noted a couple of spelling mistakes and 1 grammatical error quite early on.
Will be waiting with bated breath for the next one.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #60
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

I hope that this is 22p well spent... (I have now spent the last of my Waterstones points! - that is one thing in their favour, there is no minimum spend! in the past I have bought books for a penny using my points)

I have bought and downloaded and added to my 'to read list'.

From the synopsis, this reminds me a little of the first Robert Rankin book I read (which I was fortunate enough to get signed by the man himself!) Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse. I am looking forward to a new book and a new author.

Thank you.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote