Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
nyy28wc
nyy28wc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
awz1 files

Some of my kindle books have .azw file extensions, while others have .azw1 extentions.

I am unable to get mobi2mobi to load up any of the .awz1 ones. I get an error message that says "Unhandled exception has occured in your accplication. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to conintue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Index was outside the bounds of the array."

If I hit continue, then doesn't load up the file.
nyy28wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Files with the .azw1 extension are TOPAZ ebooks. These can also have the extension .tpz. Unfortunately, there is very little known about this format which is specific to the Kindle.

If all you want to do is clean up the author and title, these are included in the TOPAZ file as plain text. The problem, though, is that we don't know if the TOPAZ format cares how long these text strings are. If not, then it would be easy to change them.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
nyy28wc
nyy28wc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am just looking to eliminate the clipping limit.
nyy28wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The clipping limit is also in plain text in the file. Again, it isn't known what happens if you alter this (e.g. with a editor that allows binary files). My guess is that if you leave the number of characters the same this should work. So you can change a clipping limit of (say) 10 to 99, but a limit of 0 can only be changed to 9. One theory is that the limit is a percentage of the document, so 100 is often the limit in DRM-free ebooks and 99 would be almost the entire ebook.

What mobi2mobi does is delete the clipping limit entirely from AZW ebooks. All TOPAZ ebooks I have seen include a clipping limit, so this isn't likely to work for TOPAZ.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The clipping limit is also in plain text in the file. Again, it isn't known what happens if you alter this (e.g. with a editor that allows binary files). My guess is that if you leave the number of characters the same this should work. So you can change a clipping limit of (say) 10 to 99, but a limit of 0 can only be changed to 9. One theory is that the limit is a percentage of the document, so 100 is often the limit in DRM-free ebooks and 99 would be almost the entire ebook.
This doesn't seem like a very difficult thing to test. Has nobody done any experiments to determine the effect of changing it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
T
What mobi2mobi does is delete the clipping limit entirely from AZW ebooks. All TOPAZ ebooks I have seen include a clipping limit, so this isn't likely to work for TOPAZ.
I think it is also possible to change the value using the general flags for this but I do not know if anybody have tested it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote