Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Giveaway for Kindle Readers: Spirit House by Christopher G Moore

Amazon will give away the e-book of a new novel, "Spirit House," by Christopher G. Moore, to Amazon Kindle customers.

Book description:

Quote:
In the nearly twenty years he has lived in Bangkok, Christopher G. Moore has written nine novels starring Vincent Calvino, a disbarred American lawyer working as a PI in the dark and steamy Thai capital. Internationally acclaimed, the prizewinning novels have been translated into ten languages. Now Spirit House, the first novel in the series, is finally available in North America.

A farang is dead and the Bangkok police have a confession the next morning from a young paint-thinner addict. He claims he killed Ben Hoadly, an expat Brit, but Calvino has his doubts when he sees heavy bruises on the kid’s face. In no time Calvino is working both sides, out to find the killer for Hoadly’s wealthy father, and eager to clear the addict’s name for a beautiful friend who runs a charity in the slums. With the help of his best friend, Pratt, a Shakespeare quoting Thai police colonel, and his loyal assistant, Ratana, Calvino plunges into the dangerous world of addicts, dealers, fortune tellers, inexpensive hit men, oversexed foreigners, and professional bar girls. Spirit House is a thrilling introduction to Vincent Calvino and Christopher G. Moore’s Bangkok.
The title will be available from tomorrow, August 1st.

via NYTimes
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Amazon will give away the e-book of a new novel, "Spirit House," by Christopher G. Moore, to Amazon Kindle customers.
I think Christopher Moore is a bit like Paul Theroux - When I read his fiction I get the suspicion that he's not writing from real experience. He's writing about a world a million miles from his own. His private investigator Calvino carts around a large, heavy revolver in a humid place like Thailand - I don't think so. I've had to carry a revolver in the tropics - it's too damn awkward to do it by choice. And he handles it inappropriately. I seriously doubt that Moore has ever carried a handgun in the tropics on a regular basis. And the sex scenes! - I seriously doubt Moore has ever had sex!

Also, Moore's novels have dreadful continuity and typo errors.

Anyway, for folks who don't want to visit Amazon:

"Spirit House" (pdf) is free at
http://www.chrismoorenovels.com/ebook.html

A much better book of Moore's, which appears to be based more on his real experiences: "Chairs" (pdf) is free at
http://www.cgmoore.com/index.htm
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I am kind of looking forward to this novel. I have never handled a heavy revolver in the jungle, so I can suspend disbelief, and if the sex is as awkward as RCR states, I will feel right at home!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Kindle version is up now.

Spirit House
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am kind of looking forward to this novel. I have never handled a heavy revolver in the jungle, so I can suspend disbelief, and if the sex is as awkward as RCR states, I will feel right at home!

I suspended disbelief as soon as I saw the word "novel".

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think it's dreadful when books come out in only one format. This should be available in BBeB, Mobipocket, & MS Reader as well as AZW at the very least.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
bactravels
bactravels began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle I
I downloaded this book and was so disgusted I immediately deleted it.
bactravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
PK1
PK1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I like the other Christopher Moore, you almost had me.
PK1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!