Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #166
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
And, they still haven't trimmed their nails.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #167
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
And, they still haven't trimmed their nails.
Oh yuck, that was really bothering me, too. At least their hands were clean. I watch their videos with Sound OFF.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #168
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I'm in the same boat but there has been no announcement regarding a Kobo Aura release in Japan unfortunately. I really like my Kobo but there's really nothing special about it other than the extra screen real estate. In fact, in some ways it's actually much worse due to the high resolution. I suppose reading manga must be very nice but I don't really do that. All of the non-fiction books that I read have almost uninterperetable pictures because they're so small thanks to the small resolution of the photos themselves. I wish the firmware would allow for some kind of pixel doubling for pictures on the Aura HD.
That's publishers being short sighted, because in this day of high resolution phone screens and increasing tablet resolution, they should be including larger pictures. Frankly, I've also encountered books on my Sony T1 that have pictures that are too small, and then when you zoom, they pixelate badly. I don't blame my Aura HD, I blame publishers.

Any ebook I make does not have this issue, and good high-res pix look GREAT on the Aura HD, much more so than on my lower resolution readers.

Hopefully publishers will start to get complaints and update their books.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #169
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Are Kobo readers

- better build quality than Kindles? The painting(???) between the two buttons of my Kindle 4 came off since it was ~1 year old

- have better software update than Sony readers?

- have a good user interface?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #170
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
With that better look at it in video, it does look like a semi-matte screen, quite nice to my eyes from here.
It definitely looks like an improvement over the Aura HD. I clearly see more contrast. "ClarityScreen" is the name of this new technology from E-Ink : sound like an honest name.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #171
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The new Kindle's have been announced with (from their site):
Quote:
... Amazon’s 6" Paperwhite display with exclusive Carta e-paper technology ...
Also,

Quote:
... Whiter Screen, Darker Text

IMPROVED—Enjoy even better contrast on the latest Kindle Paperwhite. Whites are whiter and blacks are blacker, creating sharp, clear text. ...
So is the new Kndle screen different than the new Aura?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #172
guitarchitect
guitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud of

Device: kobo aura hd... maybe
That good e-readers video is really annoying. I'd criticize some of their fawning -

- when I need the light, I literally set it and leave it. I've never used it above the lowest setting as it is - but aside from turning it on (easy with the button), I'm not always changing it on-the-fly. So the multi-touch gesture for changing the brightness isn't really all that fantastic, who cares about three touches if you're setting-and-forgetting?
- fewer refreshes, is that a good thing? I actually appreciate the constant refreshes, because the text seems to get really "rough" between refreshes when they are spread out to six pages. They didn't touch on whether or not fewer refreshes enhances readability, or reduces it
- is thinner actually better? Currently I really like that the Aura HD is a bit bulky, it rests nicely in the hand in the way that a tablet doesn't. They say the Aura is "Quite Thin" but it doesn't seem THAT much thinner than the Aura HD?

These really are surface-level videos, and they speak of nothing about comparisons of using the Kobos and focus strictly on the features. Half the features they mentioned will be via firmware update for older Kobos, and it would be nice if they summarized what will and won't be included in those firmware updates so that Aura HD owners know what they will actually be missing out on... which may turn out to be very, very little
guitarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #173
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So is the new Kndle screen different than the new Aura?
From what Kobo said they're using the Pearl film for the Aura, so yes the Kindle screen would be different using the new tech eInk mentioned a little while back.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #174
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am looking forward to comparisons between the new Kobo Aura and the new Paperwhite 2. I am more interested in the Aura, at this point. Smaller case and 4gb make it much better, IMO.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #175
INCSlayer
INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2(626)
im happy enough with my glo that im holding out for a version with a "good" color display
INCSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #176
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'd like to see comparison with paperwhite too, but I'm curious if Aura Hd will get same firmware.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #177
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm going to bite the bullet and get a mini because of the form factor. I will be able to take it anywhere with me and the price is pretty decent.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #178
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I'm going to bite the bullet and get a mini because of the form factor. I will be able to take it anywhere with me and the price is pretty decent.
And this is a lovely device It would be close to perfect with a built-in light.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #179
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
And this is a lovely device It would be close to perfect with a built-in light.
Yes, I was hoping for a light. But seeing as this will be the reader I take to work for commute and things, I should be okay without one.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #180
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I absolutely loved the size of my Mini. I sold it because it had no light, though. Comparing the outer dimensions of the new Aura with the Mini, they are not too far off. So I am strongly considering the Aura for that reason.

Mini Size
102 x 133 x 10 mm (4 x 5.2 x 0.4 in)
Weight
134 g (4.73 oz)

Aura Device Size
114 x 150 x 8.1 mm
Weight
174 g

It's actually thinner? Wow.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.