Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Simple Touch - Great Price on Refurb.

B&N is offering Nook Simple Touch refurbs at the excellent price of $79!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/cert...ook/379003039/

This is a great deal unless you have a problem with refurbs. I'm thinking about it.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Great price. With this sort of thing, (and new devices coming out) ebooks are really gonna fly!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
@Andy-
I say go for it! (I did.) It has the same warranty & is eligible for the same extended warranties (both through B&N and SquareTrade), so it should be just as safe a bet as a new one.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
That is a great price. I might pick one up myself. I have some nitpicks with the Nook STR based on reviews, but once rooted, it's probably close to the perfect device. I also worry a little bit about reports of screen not being as nice as the Sony T1 or Kindles, but I don't know if that was all just random samples, and probably it makes no difference practically.

eta: i've been trying to find out more about the STR, but the main reason I want Wi-Fi is to be able to download books from my Sugarsync account. I see reports of STR just eating anything you download off of the "hidden web browser".. that worries me. If I need to hook up in order to get books on the Nook, the wi-fi is pretty much useless to me.

Last edited by seajewel; 10-19-2011 at 05:13 PM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
anijh
Connoisseur
anijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1e, Kindle Fire, and multiple iDevices
Nice price. I'm tempted to pick one up.
anijh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It is not just NST. The NC is on sale for $149. I am a bit baffled that the Nook Classic is listed at $89.

http://stores.ebay.com/Barnes-and-No...34Q2ec0Q2em322
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
B&N is offering Nook Simple Touch refurbs at the excellent price of $79!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/cert...ook/379003039/

This is a great deal unless you have a problem with refurbs. I'm thinking about it.
Hi Andy-
Thanks for the tip. Been wanting to try one, so at this price I decided to go for it.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Man. I bought a refurbished Nook STR from Barnes and Noble two weeks ago and paid $109.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I bought one. It is shipping today!
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Reading Mobileread is getting expensive. I'm justifying the cost by telling myself it's not too early for Christmas shopping!
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I bought one on Saturday, and got my shipping notice today. I opted for the 2-6 day delivery instead of the 1-3, since UPS always gets things to me quick. Imagine my surprise when I track my delivery and my package should be here a week from tomorrow. That is lame! Amazon cant wait to get a kindle in your hands, but evidently bn feels no such compulsion.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to agree on the shipping. I placed my order late on a Friday. I'm in Indiana and it shipped from Nevada on Monday. I figured three days tops. Strangely, I showed no movement in tracking until Thursday or Friday. I called UPS on Saturday because the delivery date was Saturday. I was surprised to learn that UPS outsources their Saturday delivery to the US Postal Service. Eventually, it showed up on my doorstep, but took six days. Still, I am really enjoying the reader and it was a great price. I wouldn't have paid $60 more to get it sooner (the price of a new one), so I can't complain too much.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I just spent all my money on a refurbished Sony 350 and a new 950 (for $75 and $150 respectively). In retrospect, a rooted nook touch might have been a better idea. I couldn't resist the allure of the metal case though. But I'm going to think about the purchases and either gift the 350 and sell the 950, or keep them. Depending. and still think about the STR!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
and now it looks like brand-new STRs will be $99!

ah well, that's the consumer electronics game!
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
Larken
Where's the backlight??

I am pretty happy with mine STR. I had a slow day at work on Wednesday, so I read almost nonstop from 9am to 5pm. I was pretty impressed. My battery went from 100% to 94% over that period. That's what I was looking for. I had been reading on a Dell Streak 7 Android tablet previously and I would never have been able to read that long on it without charging at some point.