Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Saw the new readers in person... I wish I hadn't

My old friend, 505, is looking much duller now.

I checked out both the 650 and 350 and I felt exactly how I did when I first saw a 505 in the Sony store; "this must be a demo film, let me remove it to test it out".

Except it wasn't a plastic demo film, it was actually how the screen looked. It was unbelievable sharp and legible, I can't believe how dramatic the difference is compared to my 505. It's nuts.

I want one now! The only thing left to decide is which one between the 650 and 350.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I would suggest the 650. I recently ended a long affair with my own 505, and had to make a similar decision. What tipped the scales for me, was trying my wife's 300 for a few days. (Yes I know it's not the same as the 350, but bear with me.) I just couldn't get used to the smaller screen. With my 505, I had gotten used to the amount of text on the page, and just couldn't downsize. I bought a 650, and have not looked back.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My recommendation is hold on, the pending XMas season is likely to prompt stores to give you a discount after thanksgiving (which does not seem to exist these days, but that's just me complaining.)
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I also suggest the 650. For me, the screen size is perfect for reading novels and its still very portable. The 350 is much too small for my taste.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
And I've just bought the 350 after loving my 505. I was concerned that I would find the 5 inch screen too small after been used to the 6 inch but the screen is so clear on the 350 I can read smaller text and even read better in a lower light when required. It's each to their own, some will prefer one to the other but I think they are both most impressive.
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My recommendation is hold on, the pending XMas season is likely to prompt stores to give you a discount after thanksgiving (which does not seem to exist these days, but that's just me complaining.)
Why hold off your enjoyment ?? ;-)
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search 650 model.

But other sizes 350 and colors available too.. black, red (650) and silver and pink for 350

Covers options are:
650- red/brown and black
350 - pink and blue/black

just double check your choices.. there are a few.. ;-)

There is a great promo going if you want the integrated light cover..
49.99$ value. .and no I don't work for Vanns just bought my 350 there thru amazon.. and even though the promo wasn't going on ... it was within the 30 day return window and the shipped for free the lighted cover after I received my 350!!! ;-)

229 list plus 49.99 freebie... dont know how much of a discount you are expecting for Nov / Dec, but the the freebie is a good value to offset the price!

650 is more flexible if you like to use storage cards.. i.e. multiple libraries or large libraries, of course more words per screen at a legible size!! lol

I read with the S text size on my 350 and flipping pages is so much faster than the older generation, it really isn't a problem.

I do enjoy the smaller size trade off too that the 350 offers vs my older 600

YMMV

Last edited by tvuongpham; 10-22-2010 at 01:31 PM.
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
That was my thinking, too. I can't see them as dropping the price a whole lot more than $50 for the holiday and I knew I needed the lighted cover anyways.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
I've got a 350 coming to me. I bought the pink ribbon bundle on sony's site with the $50 ebook gift card promo.

I was going to wait for them to go down in price I have the 300 and will give that to my sister. The 5" screen is perfect for me it fits in my small purse perfectly.

The $50 gift card promo and pink ribbon bundle did me in. My grandma is a 40 yr breast cancer survivor so this set means something to me.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyp133 View Post
And I've just bought the 350 after loving my 505. I was concerned that I would find the 5 inch screen too small after been used to the 6 inch but the screen is so clear on the 350 I can read smaller text and even read better in a lower light when required. It's each to their own, some will prefer one to the other but I think they are both most impressive.
Same here, Iwent from the 505 to the 350. I love how portable it is.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
I'm another one who went from the 505 to the 350. It fits in my purse and my coat pocket without a problem, and I haven't had any problem adjusting to a smaller reading area. To be truthful, once I start reading, I don't notice the reader at all - its the book that has my attention, not the reader!
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
I hope these photos I made will help you to make your choice.
Mine was: both of them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0278.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	60099   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0279.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	60100  
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
haze
haze began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
www.airmiles.ca - the 650 silver is available for 2500 reward points!! the 350 is 2250 points. My problem is I really really want the red one! I have the red prs 505 and I love the red!... but getting it for airmiles points is like getting it for free!
haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
Big Shirley
Enthusiast
Big Shirley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Galaxy S, Nook Color, Sony PRS-950
Beppe, thank you for the pictures. I notice the 650 has quite a few more lines of text displayed. Really gorgeous.
Big Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
My old friend, 505, is looking much duller now.

I checked out both the 650 and 350 and I felt exactly how I did when I first saw a 505 in the Sony store; "this must be a demo film, let me remove it to test it out".

Except it wasn't a plastic demo film, it was actually how the screen looked. It was unbelievable sharp and legible, I can't believe how dramatic the difference is compared to my 505. It's nuts.

I want one now! The only thing left to decide is which one between the 650 and 350.
If you buy a 650 from Borders between now and the 30th of October, you'll get a free light cover. It's a very nice cover. I went to SonyStyle with the Borders email printed and they matched it. So I have a 650 in black now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
There is another solution.
Borrow an old PRS-500, use it for a few years and you will be astonished by 505 quality when you return ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote